Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

Had a great ride yesterday  - longer than I expected but boy it was worth it. Much more to do so we will be back. Thanks for the tour Brett.

post-43622-0-97620000-1428915781_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pleasure guys, thanks for the company, hope you managed to rehydrate well after all that climbing. Let me know when you're ready to tackle the Yellow loop, it's even better :thumbup: 

Haha. 4 litres of water and a crash on the couch still didn't work. Feel good today though. 

Here's the original photo. hahaha

post-43622-0-29764200-1428919363_thumb.jpg

Hahahaha... classic photo :oops:

Must admit, I glugged down a few Mojito's around an afternoon braai as well, it was rather warm out there. Going back this afternoon for some more punishment though :clap:

Must admit, I glugged down a few Mojito's around an afternoon braai as well, it was rather warm out there. Going back this afternoon for some more punishment though :clap:

Man, you're a glutton...

I looked at the description of the trails on the Botterlary site and was very amused to read the following:

For the Green route: 

• a moderate 2.5km climb

And for the Yellow route:

• moderate to challenging riding

Def bringing the CamelBak.    :drool:  :eek:

Thanks very much for that. We so much look forward to it.....

I think we are riding Simonsberg next week but will be in touch for the next one.

Cheers

I looked at the description of the trails on the Botterlary site and was very amused to read the following:

For the Green route: 

• a moderate 2.5km climb

At last some semblance of normality! :clap:

I'm a complete noob to MTB and had my first outing at BH over the weekend. I had to push the bike for most of the Kaapzicht Killer... :wacko:  Quick question - I don't have the skills for the Rooikat ST yet - is there a way to rejoin the route afterwards or do I head back down the same way I came up?

I was in your neck of the woods last weekend.... A nice 42km ride!

Very very lekker!

Cheers

Mambat

At last some semblance of normality! :clap:

I'm a complete noob to MTB and had my first outing at BH over the weekend. I had to push the bike for most of the Kaapzicht Killer... :wacko:  Quick question - I don't have the skills for the Rooikat ST yet - is there a way to rejoin the route afterwards or do I head back down the same way I came up?

You can cut out Rooikat by making a right turn at the end of the flat jeeptrack section before you drop down to Rooikat.  You will then climb (or push your bike!) past the little hut and pump house where you will rejoin the green route.  However, if you cannot ride Rooikat you might have problems riding the other two ST sections on green - Geelslang and Mongoose.  The green route is not for beginners.

If you are a complete noob,  I would recommend you first build up some fitness and skill on the easy orange route which you must enter from the Radish entrance, or you can ride (or walk) up Kaapzicht Killer till where the red route splits to your left, follow red till where it joins orange and ride orange all the way back to the Radish exit.  You can then return via the Bottelary tar road.  

If you are a complete noob,  I would recommend you first build up some fitness and skill on the easy orange route which you must enter from the Radish entrance, or you can ride (or walk) up Kaapzicht Killer till where the red route splits to your left, follow red till where it joins orange and ride orange all the way back to the Radish exit.  You can then return via the Bottelary tar road.  

Thanks, Dirtman! :thumbup:

You can cut out Rooikat by making a right turn at the end of the flat jeeptrack section before you drop down to Rooikat.  You will then climb (or push your bike!) past the little hut and pump house where you will rejoin the green route.  However, if you cannot ride Rooikat you might have problems riding the other two ST sections on green - Geelslang and Mongoose.  The green route is not for beginners.

Dirtman, Other than the rather sketchy drawings on the BottelaryMTB site which don't have any names on it, are there any maps of the trails available? Would help to be able to find your way around.

Cheers

Dirtman, Other than the rather sketchy drawings on the BottelaryMTB site which don't have any names on it, are there any maps of the trails available? Would help to be able to find your way around.

Cheers

None that I am aware of.

The maps are in need of updating; Dirtman and Hellwarp have been spending more time on the trails than the website (which is good!) :)

It will also be good to have the tracks downloadable e.g. in gpx format for upload to GPS and plotting on Google Earth/Maps.

My Bottelary Hills track data is dated. Much has changed since I my last recordings.

I will take the GPS along on my next few rides and post the data in this thread when I have up to date data.

None that I am aware of.

The maps are in need of updating; Dirtman and Hellwarp have been spending more time on the trails than the website (which is good!) :)

It will also be good to have the tracks downloadable e.g. in gpx format for upload to GPS and plotting on Google Earth/Maps.

My Bottelary Hills track data is dated. Much has changed since I my last recordings.

I will take the GPS along on my next few rides and post the data in this thread when I have up to date data.

Thanks. I would love to know where I am riding and would like to know how to find Rooikat ( actually that's the only one I know, saw a beaut Cobra there on Sunday),Geelslang ,Mongoose and Kaapzicht Killer.

Cheers.

Website maps are due for an upgrade, have been for a while. We're busy creating mapwork for the trail signage which will be transferred onto the site once complete. Our deadline is June 30, sounds like a long way down the road but putting maps and signage etc together is not as staightforward as one would imagine.

GPS files will also be made available.