Rant - Cape Town Cyclist

Panini

No helmets, no seatbelts, no condoms ... Some people live on the wild side!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rate they actually look stupid without their helmets on. It's like they don't belong on a bike at all...

That makes no sense at all, but ok, if that's your opinion. Most of the world's cyclists (& SA's) dont wear helmets and never have.

I dont understand why folk get fixated with this issue.

I rate they actually look stupid without their helmets on. It's like they don't belong on a bike at all...

How does this look ? No helmet, no helmut !

post-11161-0-65137800-1302177250.jpg

Explains the genetic issues in Europe..... :unsure:

Even eating their beef will give you a genetic enhancement :thumbup:

the okes with out the hemluts or going faster than the okes with the helmits. Jisterday

Jens said that his helmet saved his live. So, is this true? or was it not his time?

You can't quantify a statement like that unless you take the same fall without a helmut, and die. Stupid thing to say.

You can't quantify a statement like that unless you take the same fall without a helmut, and die. Stupid thing to say.

Are you volunteering? :angry:

Nah. Tweet at jens and ask him to go first.

He has already half completed the test in any case :thumbup:

Hey all you Cape Town cyclist!

I have seen about 3 - 4 cyclists over the past three days in the morning in the northern suburbs riding without HELMETS! They have their full cycling kit but no HELMET!

Come on guys - practise what you preach and wear those HELMETS! No HELMET no RIDE!

Oh the shock, the horror, I'm besides myself with concern.

I love the comments about the "cleaning the gene pool". Ironic, considering nobody wore helmets until about 10 years ago.

Helmets are overrated - just like airbags in cars, they create a false sense of security. Research has shown that cars fitted with airbags have more accidents than ones without because the drivers take chances they otherwise would not. Google it - here's just one link:

https://litigation-essentials.lexisnexis.com/webcd/app?action=DocumentDisplay&crawlid=1&doctype=cite&docid=38+J.+Law+%26+Econ.+251&srctype=smi&srcid=3B15&key=6b35e5c2e155f64d56b3b837bb276e69

I'm sure it's the same for helmets.

Sure, they help in isolation under very specific circumstances, but in the grand scheme of things if you are aware of your surroundings, can actually handle your bike in tricky situations, are visible, don't do stupid things etc. you are very unlikely to need a helmet. And then, in the unlikely event of you being unlucky, a helmet will do precious little to save your life as you're being dragged under the wheels of the 18-wheeler.

I've said it before - the guy you see riding without a helmet could be Hans Rey (or Danny M). If you're that concerned for his safety, don't rage about his uncovered head, rather encourage him to take up bowls instead of cycling.

Personally, I wear a hemet every time I ride other than to the corner shop and back. And I encourage my kids to do the same. But I try my best to ride as if I wasn't wearing one.

He has already half completed the test in any case :thumbup:

Exactly why he's the perfect subject to do the comparison. Off you go Jensie, that's a good german, off you go.

Helmets are overrated - just like airbags in cars, they create a false sense of security. Research has shown that cars fitted with airbags have more accidents than ones without because the drivers take chances they otherwise would not.

Or maybe it's cause there are more cars with airbags than without?