Ever wanted to quit cycling?

I crashed out last week during a race...I wanted to quit...

I got over myself after my wife won her race.

Have you ever wanted to quit cycling or even have done so. And why? And how do you get back on the horse...

Edited by MJ loves MTB

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever wanted to quit cycling or even have done so. And why?

When I realised the people I was racing against had an un-fair advantage. Now I'm just a fun rider.

Yeah I wanted to quiet cycling two years back when I did Die Burger MTB. I eventually got to the point where quieting or finishing the race took the same amount of effort and distance, so I finished even if I was last man standing.

I agree with TNT1 I was at the same point in my life last year I pushed myself in the races , punished myself if I didn't do good times even got myself to a weight where I didn't look healthy anymore for my build , after a very eina 94.7 I decided stuff it I'm quitting , took a month off the bike , got back on and this year I am a real funrider enjoying my cycling, riding in lower seeding groups and really just having fun on the bike , last time I felt like this was when I started cycling in the beginning.

The moment you stop having fun it's not worth it anymore I mean get real people why put yourself through this acting all high and mighty and being all serious and nasty in the races when we all actually do it for fun I mean how many of us in the open seeded groups riding a-group to whatever-group earns a living cycling , 0 of us I bet , so enjoy it and have fun.

Good luck.

Yeah, I have cycled since 1987 and there are times that you just need a good break of a couple of months and then you find the passion for our great sport again.

I agree with TNT1 I was at the same point in my life last year I pushed myself in the races , punished myself if I didn't do good times even got myself to a weight where I didn't look healthy anymore for my build , after a very eina 94.7 I decided stuff it I'm quitting , took a month off the bike , got back on and this year I am a real funrider enjoying my cycling, riding in lower seeding groups and really just having fun on the bike , last time I felt like this was when I started cycling in the beginning.

The moment you stop having fun it's not worth it anymore I mean get real people why put yourself through this acting all high and mighty and being all serious and nasty in the races when we all actually do it for fun I mean how many of us in the open seeded groups riding a-group to whatever-group earns a living cycling , 0 of us I bet , so enjoy it and have fun.

Good luck.

+1

Frequently. Usually at about 60km into the race. "Why am I doing this? My arse is sore, I need a cigarette, I want some coffee, the sweat's running into my eyes, my head is too hot in this helmet,I'm feeling pap. This is stupid, I'm not going to do race ever again." Then somehow I find myself doing the same thing a week later ... (That said, I didn't ride for about 5 years ... then about 3 years ago the itch started building slowly. Hauled the Le Turbo out, dusted off the sawdust from my workshop, and ... joy!)

Not really ... because I mostly doing 'it' for fun, health, communing with nature, etc, never been a top dog, never will lol. Hail the back markers!

Although some events where the route is k@k and when I start to suffer (like FPC Nissan Van Gaalens last year Nov) I am glad when its over and often wont do that again.

I gave up for 6 years due to work commitments. Worst thing ever. You put on weight, your energy levels drop, and you get mental fatigue at the drop of a hat. Giving up will never be an option again.... Lets face it we all ride in our own competitive way... the fitter you are the more you want to compete. Its in our nature. As South Africans we generally love sport and the competition (just look at the reaction when the Springboks get beaten)? I guess you just have to find your own comfort level but quiting, even when you have bonked shouldnt be an option... just train a little more, or go a little slower?

When the focus of my cycling was on racing, I felt like quitting all the time. And have done so. When my cycling started to be about riding a bike, that feeling that I want to quit left, and I started to enjoy it for what it was. Not driven anymore.

Nope, whether sitting on the front of a group with my road bike, smashing through some mud on the MTB, or popping down to a coffee shop on my foldup I always make sure I'm having fun ! We aint been held reponsible for performance results so we might as well have a good time.

I always laugh at how many serious people are out there. Smile and wave - only takes a second :D

Same point as TNT, can’t beat those who are not in the same playing field.

My biggest letdown in cycling was being chosen to compete in the 2000 Olympics with one other rider , after getting my colors in 97 we were put on the noxsa excellence programme and then had our dreams smashed by Mr. Sam Ramsammy ( they could no longer support the sport as our color was wrong ) . never been one to complain about color , if you good you good no matter what.

Took me a while to get back on the bike as all I ever worked for was over.

Never quitted because of crashing though .

Now days ride all the time , love the sport still but will not race for the associated/affiliated cycling bodies ever as they do whats best for them and not the growth of the sports.

Been there and got the T Shirt. Got to a stage when nothing else seemed to matter. Flew back from the '96 Argus and never opened my bike bag again. Started riding again last year for the fun and enjoyment of riding. Do a combination of road and MTB. Now that I think of it my old Zini is still in the bike bag. Forgotten what it's like to ride with down tube shifters!

Now that I think of it my old Zini is still in the bike bag. Forgotten what it's like to ride with down tube shifters!

What size? A 54, by any chance? How much you want for it?