Stolen Giant VT2

Ebe

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check this add out on Gumtree re bicycle parts for sale. Seems to be quite a collection...

Gumtree link

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/110429/609r7/57323kf_20.jpeg

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/110429/611r5/4711ecg_20.jpeg

Edited by gummibear

Yup, that is Cape Town Cycles. That little room is full of VERY OLD parts.

There is no Lady working at Cape Town Cycles, only Marc and Henk. Instead of speculating, why not phone 021 982 5217 and speak to Marc or Henk.

There is no Lady working at Cape Town Cycles, only Marc and Henk. Instead of speculating, why not phone 021 982 5217 and speak to Marc or Henk.

What will they say when I call them?

Where did they get all those parts from??

Another rather interesting add I found on Gumtree advertising a Scott Spark 15.

Gumtree Scott Spark link

The item description is as follows:

This bicycle has hardly any scratches. Gear change is perfect. Frame is Carbon Fibre and a Large size. Tubeless tires. We purchased this item for R45000. Its only 1 year old

Price is slightly negotiable.

GREAT DEAL for what you get

Does this not seem an odd way to describe such a high end bike? No description of components, wheels etc.

Just seems strange...

Apologies for any assumptions here, just looked awfully like a chop shop to me. The only way we are going to solve this issue is to be inquisitive though, dont you think?

Gumtree Scott Spark link

This bicycle has hardly any scratches. Gear change is perfect. Frame is Carbon Fibre and a Large size. Tubeless tires. We purchased this item for R45000. Its only 1 year old

Does this not seem an odd way to describe such a high end bike? No description of components, wheels etc.

Just seems strange...

For sure, does seem odd. Why mention the gear changing? Also look at the way they spelt "tires", not a Saffa.

Gumtree Scott Spark link

Just seems strange...

The same advert is in the classifieds

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/2850-scott-spark-15/

Edited by gummibear

For one, you can ask them how they managed to build up such a nice collection of old stems, etc. You can tell him saw his add on Gumtree and you figure he must be a chop shop because of the pictures with the old stems etc.

Helloo big boy

or rather can I have a bolt for my brakes from my 1984 Raleigh burner BMX?

I agree, you need to be suspecious of things, but no one really cares.

has anybody else looked at this and feels the same?

Not particularly...looks like your average Hub type ad with Helmuts,tires and breaks

For one, you can ask them how they managed to build up such a nice collection of old stems, etc. You can tell him saw his add on Gumtree and you figure he must be a chop shop because of the pictures with the old stems etc.

The ad looks dodgy, Why not just add your shop name and full details on the advert. I'm not saying they are hiding anything or are dealing in stolen parts & bikes, but considering all the thefts & hi-jackings I would look twice at anything that doesn't seem right.

The ad looks dodgy, Why not just add your shop name and full details on the advert. I'm not saying they are hiding anything or are dealing in stolen parts & bikes, but considering all the thefts & hi-jackings I would look twice at anything that doesn't seem right.

Most bike shops have boxes full of old stuff like that.