sram

markgc

Can anyone give me some insight into SRAM X7 components and how they compare to SLX/XT ..?

X7 = SLX = Borderline Junk

X9 = XT = Decent , No need to go higher if you just want smooth sweet shifting.

The above is relative to many factors but the bottom line is....

After using both Sram is better than Shimano! :lol:

i run xx and x9, xx cost me about 20k i think, x9 was about 8k (i think) the difference in shifting smoothness is so small, if weight is not a big concern I would not spend the extra for the xx

I would say the x9 is more inline with the slx range, (

I cant fault the x9 would even say the brakes are better then the xx brakes (in my opinion)

have you seen the new xt range coming out? very very nice! there are pics of it on here somewhere.

I had X0 (9sp) and I swore by them...I bought a new bike that came with XT (10spd) which I was not keen on and a friend of mine also bought a new bike with the X0 10spd - he seems to have a number of issues and resetting of gearings etc and mine just seems to keep on going. I have also heard rumours that the sram 10spd durability compared to shimano 10spd is chalk and cheese in Shimano favour - I can only point out my experience and will be interesting if any others agree.

Why not cherry pick the best of both worlds

Shifting(shifters and dr's) - SRAM XO

Cranks - Shimano (I highly rate SLX, but if you can afford it XT or XTR)

Brakes - New Shimano XTR

Chain and Cassette - Shimano XT...its consumables...nuff said, cant justify a chain over 200 ZARS

Edited by rouxtjie

I had X0 (9sp) and I swore by them...I bought a new bike that came with XT (10spd) which I was not keen on and a friend of mine also bought a new bike with the X0 10spd - he seems to have a number of issues and resetting of gearings etc and mine just seems to keep on going. I have also heard rumours that the sram 10spd durability compared to shimano 10spd is chalk and cheese in Shimano favour - I can only point out my experience and will be interesting if any others agree.

I have the X0 10 speed and it has never faulted me. It runs very smoothly and never needs any adjustments. Maybe the person who set your friends up needs a little help!! I did mine myself and voila. Probably run about 2500-3000kms on it and it is puuuuurrrrrfect.

Edited by Top Fuel

so if i go buy a bike with these parts on already...do i just pay in the difference for the upgrades or how does it usually work, i dont want to be ripped off.

thanks chaps for the insights

X9 = XT = Decent , No need to go higher if you just want smooth sweet shifting.

The above is relative to many factors but the bottom line is....

After using both Sram is better than Shimano! :lol:

Come on ! you can't be serious...

Come on ! you can't be serious...

I was also pretty mystified as to SLX being borderline junk?

I run SRAM on everything for my drive train; X9 FD, X0 RD, Stylo cranks and X9 shifters. It's been almost 3000km and I have not ghost shifted once and everything shifts perfectly.

Saying that X7 is borderline junk is not true! I rate X7 closer to XT than to SLX.

X9 shifters and RD are superior to XT but not better than XTR.

I'm about to receive my X7 2X10 groupset and actually chose it over XT!

I run SRAM on everything for my drive train; X9 FD, X0 RD, Stylo cranks and X9 shifters. It's been almost 3000km and I have not ghost shifted once and everything shifts perfectly.

I run Shimano on everything for my drive train; XT FD, XT RD, XT cranks and XT shifters. It's been almost 6000km and I have not ghost shifted once and everything shifts perfectly.

Can anyone give me some insight into SRAM X7 components and how they compare to SLX/XT ..?

SLX = strong as an OX

XT = reliable and cheaper than SRAM

SRAM = more bling, more bucks

XT brakes = 100% ride

SRAM brakes = hmmm, dunno what to say without getting the k#k kicked outa me. :D

I run Shimano on everything for my drive train; XT FD, XT RD, XT cranks and XT shifters. It's been almost 6000km and I have not ghost shifted once and everything shifts perfectly.

So there you go ..... It's purely what you like. With care SRAM and Shimano both work flawlessly.

I'm still a SRAM Fan :clap:

SLX = strong as an OX

XT = reliable and cheaper than SRAM

SRAM = more bling, more bucks

XT brakes = 100% ride

SRAM brakes = hmmm, dunno what to say without getting the k#k kicked outa me. :D

I'm not a huge fan of my XT brakes. Thinking of maybe getting formula's....

SRAM is more expensive; you're right.

I run Sram with 9sp X0 twistgrips, X7 Rd and X Gen FD. Cranks are Deore with Sram chain. No problems with this setup at all. (Still running V Brakes, next upgrade will be to Disks, just not sure which I'll settle on after doing research)

A HUGE improvement on the Shimano Alivio/Deore setup I started out with.

Edited by Wannabe

X9 = XT = Decent

I have a bike with full slx and my girlfriend's bike has full XT, and besides looks and weight difference there is in my opinion no difference between the two.

I will rather buy SLX than XT and spend the difference on a better fork and wheelset.

My "borederline junk" groupset has served me well in a few national marathons, and ultra maratons.