29r full sus vs 29r hardtail

flyluis

cool, thanks guys... another question, what would you guys suggest fro around 25k for a soft and hard tail???

I suggest you go to your closest cyclelab and tell them you want to spend R15k max on a 29er.

Throw in catchphrases like 'bigger wheels', 'rolls so easy' and 'if it's good enough for burry, it's good enough for me' etc. etc.

You'll walk out with your dream bike for R25k and a huge smile. It's a bit risky but throwing in phrases like 'price fixing', 'chain reaction' or 'competition commission' could either save you two grand or blow the whole deal.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 29er HT

I was very surprised by how comfy it was but agree with what was said above, for stage races and longer marathon type races I think I would go with a full sus.

my feeling is that technical rocky downhills will start to take there toll on the legs after a few hours on a HT, even with the "magic, floating" wheels

I suggest you go to your closest cyclelab and tell them you want to spend R15k max on a 29er.

Throw in catchphrases like 'bigger wheels', 'rolls so easy' and 'if it's good enough for burry, it's good enough for me' etc. etc.

You'll walk out with your dream bike for R25k and a huge smile. It's a bit risky but throwing in phrases like 'price fixing', 'chain reaction' or 'competition commission' could either save you two grand or blow the whole deal.

A mate just got a trek from cyclelab for 15k, I was very impressed with it for the price! I looked around for him for a bike for ages and nothing else I saw offered the same value and it looks really really good.

I also rode the 8 day funride down in the Cape on my 29er hardtail and I was surprised at how good I felt at the end of each day. Sure it is harder than the full sus, but heck for 10k cheaper and the lack of maintenance.

I rode behind a guy on a Gary Fisher and what I will tell you is that the back end of the bike was all over the show because of the flex in the frame, similar for many other FS 29ers too

I have a 29er HT

I was very surprised by how comfy it was but agree with what was said above, for stage races and longer marathon type races I think I would go with a full sus.

my feeling is that technical rocky downhills will start to take there toll on the legs after a few hours on a HT, even with the "magic, floating" wheels

If you're not a weight weenie then get a Thudbuster LT for your 29er HT. It makes the bike feel like a FS. Adds approx. 200-250g to the weight.

• 3 years later...

Its alive!!!! Has anyones wiev on this changed over the years? Question remains hardtail or full sus. Or 29erht or 26fs? Is it worth it to sell my mongoose tyax sport 29er ht and buy 26 fs?

I started on 26" hard tails about 15 years ago, then about 5 years ago bought a 26" Dual sus Merida 96, had the bike just over 2 years and never could get used to the feeling.

So I sold it and bought a 29er Hard Tail, best thing I ever did.

Easier to keep maintained and for the riding I do (not a Cape Epic Rider) the hard tail works for me. 

Cool. The reason for me asking, I used my 29er for road mostly, but recently bought a road bike. So the mountain will only be used ofroad from now on.

Go with the Hardtail.

Less maintenance, lighter and cheaper.

With those big ass wheels at just under 2Bar, you dont need FS.

As for Stage races; did a 8-day one last month on the HT. ..No problems or regrets

I've done wines2whales, bergnbush and transbaviaans on the hardtail.  I find the hardtail just makes certain rides more uncomfortable, for example - Crater Cruise, Mountain Trophy etc.

Having said that, If I had the cash right now I'll buy a dual sus 29er.  Merida 3000 Carbon, Scott 910 or Spec Epic.

Funny how i was thinking about this thread the other day.... 

Was chatting to a friend and he mentioned how the FS bike's aren't much heavier than a HT so why not just go for the comfort of a FS?

you forgot one very important option

http://i.imgur.com/KNPusaU.jpg

that is big ass wheels!!!!

is it that bastard child with two different wheel sizes?

Edited by allrounder

I will mostly be riding the bottelary hills routes. 

If that would play any part in the decision. 

I have never even sat on a fs, so have no frame of reference or anything. (except for your guys comments.)