I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

I do most of my driving on freeways, though a lot of it is in town as well. The 4y engine's torque peak is at a ridiculously low 2,000 rpm, and it has close on 200Nm - which in a car weighing 550 / 600 kg's, is a LOT. The power itself is approx. 80-90kw, so it isn't bad. But for cruising and low speed city traffic, a motor that has its torque peak lower down is far better than one that you have to wring to get the most out of. Power determines top end. Torque determines how you get there.

One of the guys on one of the forums built one with a 4y engine in it, and had solid low 5s 0-100 times in an over-built chassis, total car and driver weight close to 700kg (he was 135kg and built his chassis with steel that was double the required width and gauge, adding another 30-40kg to the build over and above a normal chassis)

EDIT: But, torque without power is useless. So they are inextricably linked. If you're always at full chat, and always in the peak power band, you will be faster in a car that has more power and less torque. Essentially, motors with more torque don't need to change gear as much as motors with more power but lower torque.

Think of torque as the extension lever you put on to the wheel-spanner when you can't get it to move. Makes it easier to move for a given power output.

Hence my comment. But ja , lets leave it at that. Enjoy your build.

• Replies 78.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Hence my comment. But ja , lets leave it at that. Enjoy your build.

I want power and torque...

Let's put it this way. Given the choice between 2 engines, one with 130kw & 150Nm, the other 110kw & 200Nm, I'd go for the latter. On open freeway driving and town driving, the 50Nm would do far more than the extra power would to give the car the juice to overtake and get off the line. Where it would fall down is once the other car gets up to a speed where the power matters more than the torque. Which is somewhere I never am.

Armpies, one word ..... EJ20. Done.

I'm planning on putting one in a flatbed VW kombi soon ...

yoh yoh yoh didn't even think of this!! EJ20!!!! Best 7 ever!!!!

Edited by the nerd

whats a chassis gonna cost? i have been playing around for a while with the idea of do a restoration on  somthing old. Maybe building somthing would be better

whats a chassis gonna cost? i have been playing around for a while with the idea of do a restoration on  somthing old. Maybe building somthing would be better

23k, brand new, from loCost in Jozi. Approx R 1k delivery charge. Includes wishbones designed for Golf & sierra uprights

Starter Kits Now Available From Stock

R 22,995

Contact info@locost.co.za

Starter Kit contains :

Chassis with all mounting brackets

Front Wishbone Set (4) including Camber adjusters

Rear Wishbone Set (4), including Camber and Tracking adjusters

Rear Uprights (2) to take Golf bearings & Sierra Hubs/drive shafts

Full Poly Bush Set with Anodised Inserts

Chassis, wishbones and uprights are supplied coated in black

Starter Kit is designed for the following ‘donor’ parts.

We can supply alternative new parts, and occasionally used parts, please contact us for details.

Front Uprights, Hubs                                Ford Cortina MkIII or IV

Differential, Drive Shafts, Rear Hubs         Ford Sierra/Sapphire

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Armpies, one word ..... EJ20. Done.

I'm planning on putting one in a flatbed VW kombi soon ...

Yeah, true. But - I want to go carb. And the flattie is probably a bit too wide for the engine bay, unless I drop it in before the top braces are in...

I like those L7 but prefer somthing in line of a convertible. I like the speedster replicas as well but dont like the beetle engine. Do the Lotus have a roof option or is it only with the roll cage option

Edited by Eddy Gordo

I like those L7 but prefer somthing in line of a convertible. I like the speedster replicas as well but dont like the beetle engine. Do the Lotus have a roof option or is it only with the roll cage option

YOu can fit what they call a "weather pack" which is essentially canvas roofing and a doorflap.

Lemme see if I can find a pic.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/gallery/a764363-soft%20top%20mk.jpg

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem