MTB Specific: What Tyre Pressures

Theo18

3 bar should be fine. I assume it's only for riding on tar. How thick are the slicks? 1.5?

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What pressure is the best for me - 26" its slicks and i weigh 110kg

Put the maximum tire pressure on the tire wall for slicks. I ride 4 to 5 bar in slicks I use, I am 70 kgs.

• 2 weeks later...

3 bar should be fine. I assume it's only for riding on tar. How thick are the slicks? 1.5?

normal slicks

• 1 month later...

In December I got myself a pair of AC Wide Lightning rims, and have fitted Maxxis Crossmark UST tyres. On the tyre sidewall it says 30-60PSI inflation pressure. I weigh 105kgs, and was wondering how low can you go on the tyre pressure without burping. I've gone down to 25 front and rear, and the rear feels like it's starting to fold at that pressure, so back to 30 on rear. Has anyone tried below 25 on the front, and how was it?

What size crossmarks did you fit? 2.0 2.1 2.2?

Those rims are really very wide and will help increase the volume so you do not need as much pressure in the tyre as on narrower rims. I would however not fit skinny tyres on those rims. I would have gone with a 2.3 - 2.4 tyre front and 2.2 -2.3 rear. then run 1.4bar front pressure and 1.7bar rear pressure or 20psi front 25 psi back. But I weigh +/- 75kg.

for 100 kg I would go to 1.6 to 1.7bar front and 1.9bar to 2.0bar back or  24-25 front and 29-30psi back.

you got to feel it though - very much a personal preference.

Edited by s14phoenix

So for 2 years I've been relying on the gauge on my pump to set my tyre pressure at 1.9bar rear and 1.6bar front. I weigh 93kg's. Last week I went and bought a digital pressure gauge and according to that; what I thought was 1.9bar is in fact 1.6 bar and my front tyre was not 1.6ar but 1.3bar. Now my question is do I leave it at 1.6 and 1.3 cause I never had any issues or do I change to the correct 1.9 and 1.6 which feels way hard now.

if you have no issues then the lower pressures will give you more grip. Not sure if inflating the rear a bit more will make you go a bit faster... maybe try at 1.7 or 1.8? perhaps the front at 1.4?

test and see...

Surprisingly low for 105 kg...I suspect a dodgy gauge. You should be getting snakebites with tubes at those pressures.

Not realy, I am now close to that weight and pressures seem fine. Only place I have a slight concern is seated climbing up steep rocky single track as I seem to put more weight down then.

So for 2 years I've been relying on the gauge on my pump to set my tyre pressure at 1.9bar rear and 1.6bar front. I weigh 93kg's. Last week I went and bought a digital pressure gauge and according to that; what I thought was 1.9bar is in fact 1.6 bar and my front tyre was not 1.6ar but 1.3bar. Now my question is do I leave it at 1.6 and 1.3 cause I never had any issues or do I change to the correct 1.9 and 1.6 which feels way hard now.

Off road I think you should ride at the lowest pressure that does not damage the rim, you will feel it bottoming out now and then, if pressures are too low. Depending how you ride. If you think 1.6 / 1.3 is fine, then its fine.

What size crossmarks did you fit? 2.0 2.1 2.2?

Those rims are really very wide and will help increase the volume so you do not need as much pressure in the tyre as on narrower rims. I would however not fit skinny tyres on those rims. I would have gone with a 2.3 - 2.4 tyre front and 2.2 -2.3 rear. then run 1.4bar front pressure and 1.7bar rear pressure or 20psi front 25 psi back. But I weigh +/- 75kg.

for 100 kg I would go to 1.6 to 1.7bar front and 1.9bar to 2.0bar back or  24-25 front and 29-30psi back.

you got to feel it though - very much a personal preference.

I fitted 2.1's as my Conti's 2.2/2.3 (not exactly sure) were hitting the sides of the triangle below 25PSI. I'll try a bit lower in the front and see, thanks for your input.

• 1 year later...

Very interesting reading all the pressures everyone is running. I weight 90kg and have 2.3 wide tires front and back with Wide Lightning rims. 1.1 bar front and 1.4 rear. This gives be loads of grip and I haven't damaged the rim as yet on trails ranging from Thaba to Van Gaalens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm a shade under 80kgs and run both bike (HT and DS) @ 20psi and never had an issue. The HT with 20 wide internal rims occasionally gets a little squirmy on a hard corner but I"m putting that down to the fact it has god awful Nobby Nic 2's with fairly flexi side walls. The 28mm internals on my DS with a Onza Ibex up front and a Spez Slaughter at the back are set and forget perfect. 

Never bottomed out and never burped so I'm keeping it that way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I came here to ask a question about exactly this, and luckily saw this thread before posting.

I weigh roughly 108kg (2m tall), and I'm having such a *** time with my tires. I recently got the giant trance, and it comes with pretty bulky tires (way more bulky than I'm used to).

I pump them to 2bar generally (anything lower on tar and it's like riding on a spunge), and it rides fairly well like that. Until I get to a steeper climb...

When climbing the rear wheel rides like it's flat. Makes noise, slurrps around. Feels like it moves around when I shift my weight.

Thing is, took it out to meerendal yesterday for the first time, and kept to 2bar, and it rode VERY nicely on the dirt. Singletracks were awesome, but I felt a bit iffy in corners and berms, feeling like it might slide out on me. Climbing up stairway to heaven I had the same climbing issue where tire felt / looked flat. 

Question is:

Am I just being scaredy-cat in corners, and I can safely increase the bars on the rear?

I run: Schwalbe Nobby nics 2.25 650B Tubed (still need to do tubeless)

The tubes pump up very thick outside of the tire, and always feel soft if that helps at all.

Hey guys, I came here to ask a question about exactly this, and luckily saw this thread before posting.

I weigh roughly 108kg (2m tall), and I'm having such a *** time with my tires. I recently got the giant trance, and it comes with pretty bulky tires (way more bulky than I'm used to).

I pump them to 2bar generally (anything lower on tar and it's like riding on a spunge), and it rides fairly well like that. Until I get to a steeper climb...

When climbing the rear wheel rides like it's flat. Makes noise, slurrps around. Feels like it moves around when I shift my weight.

Thing is, took it out to meerendal yesterday for the first time, and kept to 2bar, and it rode VERY nicely on the dirt. Singletracks were awesome, but I felt a bit iffy in corners and berms, feeling like it might slide out on me. Climbing up stairway to heaven I had the same climbing issue where tire felt / looked flat. 

Question is:

Am I just being scaredy-cat in corners, and I can safely increase the bars on the rear?

The tubes pump up very thick outside of the tire, and always feel soft if that helps at all.

FWIW the stock Nobby Nics on the trance are the lowest quality casing, and will be likely to squirm. 

At above 100kg I'd seriously advise something with a stronger sidewall, like Schwalbe's Super Gravity casing (Rock Razor would be a good choice) or Spaz's Grid casing (Slaughter 2.35 is a good option) or Maxxis's Double Down casing. It will seriously reduce the amount of roll & squirm you suffer from, and will be more hardy as well. 

Onza's FRC casing is also the best to go for.

They will all be heavier than the lightweight options you're most likely used to, but don't be afraid. You're 100 plus KG - an extra 150g on a tyre will NOT make a diffference to you. 

Question is:

Number of factors can contribute to the sensations you describe, i.e. the tyre's carcass rolling under heavy (lateral) loads. The internal width of your rim, pressures, tubeless vs. tubes, the volume and carcass type all play a role.  

I would suggest a tyre with a stronger sidewall, run tubeless. Myles gave some good suggestions. Maybe look into the Maxxis Aggressor 2.30" in the DoubleDown casing.