MTB Specific: What Tyre Pressures

Theo18

I found my sweetspot (G spot) on the 29er. 1.5 front and 1.7 back. Feel equally at home on hardpack, sand and rocksthumbup1.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, why did I not see this sooner, my ass would have been saved from all the horror. I am not sure what tyres and rims I have, the tyres is Maxxis something, its 29ers and I inflate to 3.0 bar all round, it's so hard my fillings rattles loose. The only reason I inflate to that is because when I got my bikes we did the tubeless conversion straight off the bat and had a huge struggle to get the farking things inflated. I did not want to go through that again, I live far from any proper tech's. I weigh a solid 93kg's and my wife is probably around 103 at the moment. We ride on the tar most of the time as we need to get fit before we do trail riding, we only go off the road if the traffic forces us. Am I right in saying we can deflate quite some bit to 2.0 all round? I will try 2.0 all round for me and 2.2 for the missus as she has more wight.

TIA

Wouter

Damn, why did I not see this sooner, my ass would have been saved from all the horror. I am not sure what tyres and rims I have, the tyres is Maxxis something, its 29ers and I inflate to 3.0 bar all round, it's so hard my fillings rattles loose. The only reason I inflate to that is because when I got my bikes we did the tubeless conversion straight off the bat and had a huge struggle to get the farking things inflated. I did not want to go through that again, I live far from any proper tech's. I weigh a solid 93kg's and my wife is probably around 103 at the moment. We ride on the tar most of the time as we need to get fit before we do trail riding, we only go off the road if the traffic forces us. Am I right in saying we can deflate quite some bit to 2.0 all round? I will try 2.0 all round for me and 2.2 for the missus as she has more wight.

TIA

Wouter

2 max, as a start if you are tubeless on a 29er, you can go even lower. It will really improve your ride quality and reduces rolling resistance...

Sorry oor die tanne en die holle.... Die goeie nuus is dat jou beter helfte uitgehou het - hulle het nog meer sagte goetertjies. Dit is reg om inisieel hard op te blaas en so te ry vir 'n kort ent ( se maar 30km). Daarna is die band "geseat". Moet net nie die band nou skielik heeltemal pap laat word nie - soms breek die seel weer alhoewel hy maklik weer sal vat. Ja gaan na so 2bar ens. Nou vir die GREAT nuus..... Jy moenie bomme gebruik nie want dit laat jou Stans/ Slime/ whatever vinniger stol. Nog beter nuus is dat jy in elk geval elke paar maande die bande moet afhaal, die "alien booger" moet uithaal (jy sal dit sien) en nuwe vloeistof insit. In jou warm wereld is dit waarskynlik elke 3 maande. Gebruik die grootste kompressor wat jy kan kry om te seat.

Sorry oor die tanne en die holle.... Die goeie nuus is dat jou beter helfte uitgehou het - hulle het nog meer sagte goetertjies. Dit is reg om inisieel hard op te blaas en so te ry vir 'n kort ent ( se maar 30km). Daarna is die band "geseat". Moet net nie die band nou skielik heeltemal pap laat word nie - soms breek die seel weer alhoewel hy maklik weer sal vat. Ja gaan na so 2bar ens. Nou vir die GREAT nuus..... Jy moenie bomme gebruik nie want dit laat jou Stans/ Slime/ whatever vinniger stol. Nog beter nuus is dat jy in elk geval elke paar maande die bande moet afhaal, die "alien booger" moet uithaal (jy sal dit sien) en nuwe vloeistof insit. In jou warm wereld is dit waarskynlik elke 3 maande. Gebruik die grootste kompressor wat jy kan kry om te seat.

Dit is baie goeie nuus dankie, ek het die eerste probeerslag een van die kleppe gebreek! Ek sal 'n paar video snitte studeer en die beste van 'n slegte saak maak. Ek get die eerste keer 'n bom probeer, al die magnete van die yskas af geblaas, papiere trek oorals en 'n groot deel van doe co2 het in my neus op geeindig. Maar ek sal die bomme reserveer vir nood indien die pompe nie naby is nie. Ons het nie Saterdag gery nie, gaan vandag, Sondag eers weer uit, ek sal die wiele afblaas tot twee bar en dit so ry. Ons ry nog glad nie vêr nie omrede ons bene nie nastenby sterk genoeg of ons fiks genoeg is nie, maar ons verbeter elke dag.

Dankie vir die goeie raad.

Wouter

Katotter, jou agterstewe gaan jou bedank, ek is so 125 kg en ry op 2 voor en 2.2 agter

O en die afstand sal kom, ek het gedink 6km was omtrent afstand toe ek begin het en nnou is 60 al n rustige naweek trappie. Voorspoed en geniet dit.

Dit is baie goeie nuus dankie, ek het die eerste probeerslag een van die kleppe gebreek! Ek sal 'n paar video snitte studeer en die beste van 'n slegte saak maak. Ek get die eerste keer 'n bom probeer, al die magnete van die yskas af geblaas, papiere trek oorals en 'n groot deel van doe co2 het in my neus op geeindig. Maar ek sal die bomme reserveer vir nood indien die pompe nie naby is nie. Ons het nie Saterdag gery nie, gaan vandag, Sondag eers weer uit, ek sal die wiele afblaas tot twee bar en dit so ry. Ons ry nog glad nie vêr nie omrede ons bene nie nastenby sterk genoeg of ons fiks genoeg is nie, maar ons verbeter elke dag.

Dankie vir die goeie raad.

Wouter

hou net aan alles word beter met tyd - ook die seer hande ens

Deflated em to 2 bar all round, oh em gee, my ass thinks it is christmas all over again. Feels much smoother, ever little pebble is not turning my spine to dust and the grip on sand and gravel is superb. I had a quick look at the rubber and rim, seems like I have maxxis ignition 29" x 2.1", are these any good? The wheels are the standard one that gets issued with the silverback vida 3. Says something about XD comp or something. Will take some pics and post them up. Also found my wife's rear tyre flat to the ground, luckily did not de-seat, pumped it right up again.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Can there be something as TOO flat?

I weigh +-65kg and ride a dual sus bike.

I've been experiencing with tyre pressures and have lowered pressure of my tubeless tyres to riding at 0.8bar back and 0.6 bar front. Racing ralph & rochet ron snakskin. Grip is great! Apart from tyre climbing off rim; any other issues with riding at such low pressure?

Not tubeless... 2 bar. Go tubeless and run 1.8 1.9 bar...

I run cross mark tyres and they feel exactly the same at 7 bar as they do at 1.2 bar, but at anything below 1.8 they sound like rolling thunder meets blow out when you hit the free rolling stuff.

They are yucky tyres but I have not leaked/sprayed/needed 1ml of stans since putting them on in the Baviaans on my way to Diemersfontein about 3000km ago so I wont knock them too much!

But go tubeless, fiddle around with your tyre pressure until you find what works for you and what you feel comfy riding. Everyone is different and there is no correct way to ride bikes..... seriously, look at the latest TDF winner..... fast but just WRONG! But it works and he is a happy camper, which is why we ride in the 1st place

Can there be something as TOO flat?

I weigh +-65kg and ride a dual sus bike.

I've been experiencing with tyre pressures and have lowered pressure of my tubeless tyres to riding at 0.8bar back and 0.6 bar front. Racing ralph & rochet ron snakskin. Grip is great! Apart from tyre climbing off rim; any other issues with riding at such low pressure?

That's low! Besides burping, I'd be worried about damaging my rim flying fast over rocky sections!

I do ride my shocks very soft as well; so wasn't too worried about damaging rims :) But you have a point!

Not sure if this was posted here but a friend of mine sent me this and it was the same as what I am running on my Tubeless and most of the people I chatted to.

I assume its from the NOTUBES website

Quote:

The get the starting pressure for NoTubes tires with our ZTR rims

Rider weight in pounds devided by 7 = X

X-1 Front tire pressure in PSI

X+2 Back tire pressure in PSI