GAAAAAAAHHH!!! Tubless conversions...!!

davetapson

Hardest Tyres to Mount  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What are the hardest tyres to mount?

• Continental
    • Bontrager
    • Hutchinson
    • Michelin
    • Maxxis
    • Schwalbe

Man - have just had to do an emergency tyre change. Was just giving my bike a once over before Sani2C and noticed that my tyres (both!) were delaminating - Conti MK and RK. So, on Sunday morning had to go and find whatever tyres were available. I had sworn to give up on MK's and was going to return to my perennial favourites Bonti Revolt Super-X - the only tyre worth riding on, except for claggy mud, in which case don't even bother.

So, of the alternatives I could find, Maxxis Crossmark for rear and Monorail for front was about the only option. I've used Monorails before, but didn't take to them but can't remember why.

HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO MOUNT A MAXXIS TYRE OVER CONVERSION STRIPS!? Man, unless you have hands like a gorilla, you're in for pain. My kids first words are likely to be something their mother would probably prefer them not to say...

Bontragers slip on easily by comparison.

In your experience, what makes are easy to mount, and which aren't (and which are virtually impossible, like Maxxis?

(However, I must admit that once the tyres were on, I inflated them before putting sealant in, and they were 100% airtight - not a leak ANYWHERE!! That's pretty awesome, and maybe worth the pain.)

Had some hassles getting Crossmarks to mount on 29er wheels after a conversion, but they seated quickly.

btw, Nice chatting on Saturday! Good luck for Sani.

Before Joberg2c it took me 90 minutes to fit a Conti RK UST to my non tubeless DT Swiss rims.

I could not get the old Conti MK off so eventually I had to cut the beading.

Fitted 3 UST Crossmarks to our commuter bikes yesterday. Two on old Mavic non tubeless rims and one on a ZTR tubeless rim. Went on easily and inflated/seated 1st time.

Taking a UST Monorail off converted DTSwiss X455's had me breaking 3 plastic tyre levers and sweating as though I were in a sauna! I'm actually too scared to put Maxxis UST tyres on my ZTR 355's in case I damage the rim tape and or the rim.

Try new killer bee`s on a mavic tubeless rim.

3 Blokes and 5 tyre levers later it was on - forever!!!

HA HA. I found a broken tyre lever inside the last tyre I replaced. The bike shop obviously had problems fitting it.

hahaha...I don't trust myself when it comes to getting the perfect seal, so it rely on my LBS to do it...

OK, OK...I might be a little lazy too! :blush:

Edited by Shift

HA HA. I found a broken tyre lever inside the last tyre I replaced. The bike shop obviously had problems fitting it.

LOL ..... I moved a set of Xmarks from one set of wheels to another yesterday and what do I find? Yip the end of a tyre lever ..... :lol:

I must say that I generally have found that tyres that go on 'too easy' are generally more difficult to inflate initially .... that is of course IMHO :D

look at the up-side: the harder they are to fit, the less likely the are to burp!

Amen to that!!

Tumble: you need to speak to pop dude. Sundays is when I find out what I really need. Get him to open between 11 and 12 am and he'll double his turnover!!

I think that rims must be the key factor. I recently mounted the crossmark/monorail combo onto my Mavic 819s (tubeless rims) and they went on very easily and seated beautifully. Yesterday I did a ghetto conversion on my old spare bike using a used crossmark on the rear and a nevegal on the front. The rims were the older, squarish type that accommodate v-brakes. The conversion worked very well and again they seated perfectly - I was able to do both these fittings using a floor pump and two levers.

Tumble: you need to speak to pop dude. Sundays is when I find out what I really need. Get him to open between 11 and 12 am and he'll double his turnover!!

:lol: Dude, he's grumpy enough as it is! Imagine taking his Sundays away!

I must say that I generally have found that tyres that go on 'too easy' are generally more difficult to inflate initially .... that is of course IMHO :D

I inflated all 3 tyres without sealant using the compressor at my local petrol station just to test the fit. All 3 seated without any air loss 1st time. I was surprised.

:lol:Dude, he's grumpy enough as it is! Imagine taking his Sundays away!

Ha, ha...... Really bothered me in the beginning, but got used to it.

Ha, ha...... Really bothered me in the beginning, but got used to it.

:lol: That's why we're, like, good cop, bad cop!

You should take the trouble to vary the thickness of the rim tape underneath your "conversion strips". I find that when changing tyre brands I need to do this sometimes to get a fit that's just right.