terrible service at Teak place

jcmeyerSS

A group of us went for an awsome ride at Teak place on wednesday and when we finished the question came up of should we get something to eat here or pack up and leave.

wednesday being a beautiful day and we dont know how many of these we got left before the cold kicks in we decided to eat the the resturant, (two of us also needed to dry off after a failed floating bridge crossing)

11:50 the five park our bikes and sit down under the trees. being wet and muddy we dont wanna go sit up at the top even though there were not alot of people there, we just didnt wanna ruin their lunch.

12:10 my brother walks up to find the waiter that said he was coming "now" to take our order.

12:15 the waiter takes our order. 3 cokes, 2 glasses of water. 2 toasted chicken mayo on brown, 1 toasted chicken on white, 1 cheese and tomato, 1 bacon, egg and cheese.

he looks confused so i check on the order he has written done and correct the lack of 1 cheese and tomato.

12:20 the drinks arrive along with 5 place-mats and cutlery. things are looking good.

13:05 we start getting a little impatient and I'm getting ready to eat the table. and by the look of things so are the group sitting next to us that have been there since 12:30 with no service either.

13:15 my brother goes up to the kitchen to see where our food is. know seems to know so he calls for the MOD (manager on duty) who tells my brother "oh we not serving down there" to which my brother says "well we got drinks and our order taken done there"

"oh" replies the MOD "let me check"

13:20 i"ve had enough and get up to leave without paying when the waiter comes running down with our food.

he delivers

1 chicken mayo on white

1 chicken mayo on brown

1 cheese and tomato

1 bacon egg and cheese

we say there is one more toasted sarmie to which he nod and heads up to fetch it.

i tell the other to get started as we have been waiting an hour for these sarmies and all are hungry.

13:30 our waiter still has not returned with the other sandwich. my brother really pisse doff goes back up to find whats going on. "oh we dont have the other sandwich"

"are you making it?

"no we are closing the kitchen now"

my brother calles the MOD again who comes down and does not apologise just says "there seems to be a mismatch, what did you order?" he was holding the order in his hand and says out our order to which we say yes and we short the one chicken mayo sandwich.

to which he replyed "oh well we short staffed today and not really serving down here" there was maybe 8 groups of people in total the whole time.

I understand that it was a public holiday and mistakes happen but the lack of apology and the fact that no-one came down to tell us that the food is not made or coming atleast, instead of just letting us sit there waiting for nothing.

having lost my cool i told the waiter to bring the bill immediately or we were leaving without paying.

the bill was at our table in 15sec flat. on paying the bill of R235-00 with three buffalos (R300) we sat waiting for our change which never showed up and upon requesting it was give a huge pile of R2 and R1 coins clearly a tactic to keep the change.

its sad cause Teak is a great ride and I'm sure that cyclist make up over 60% of their business and all three groups of cyclist under the trees experience the same problems and the MOD is a Grumpy dick that has no tact or people skills. having seen him punch a Door a few weeks before that after another customer compained and walked off.

the service there has steadly gone down and it really sad. none of us will ever be eating there again, and we wont be recommending it to any of our 50 or so riding friends. from now on it'll be ride pack up and go elsewhere. so if anyone knows of a nice place close by for chow let me know.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had bad service there a couple of times too.

There is nowhere near to eat so its best to just suck it up and not lose your patience.

p.s. the small teak burger is that good that it is worth the bad service.

Had bad service there a couple of times too.

There is nowhere near to eat so its best to just suck it up and not lose your patience.

p.s. the small teak burger is that good that it is worth the bad service.

Go ride your bike @ Teak place then you go around the corner to "Home of the chicken pie". They make the best home made pies, banana bread and milk tarts I have ever tasted!

Go ride your bike @ Teak place then you go around the corner to "Home of the chicken pie". They make the best home made pies, banana bread and milk tarts I have ever tasted!

great idea just the wrong way home but maybe worth the detour.

I bumped into a few okes on the trail on Saturday that said a large majority of riders there pack up and eat down the road because it's way cheaper than Teak.

I've also experiences some slow service there.

Vote with your wallet I say!

Fawlty Towers style! Was Manuel the manager? Teak Place should lap up the extra money to be had from hungry and thirsty riders.

Rather pickup a 6 pack and pizza on the way home. Nothing better for your tired body than slouching on a couch in front of the TV and carbo loading for the week to come...

It is sad - They've got awesome trails and what used to be great food and service. Was there on saturday and had pretty much the same story. we sat up at the restaurant level though with not much difference.

Ordered a breakfast and got my scrambled eggs and mince (cold) with added plastic tub of butter and jam right in the middle of the egg - yummy I like processed plastic in my eggs!

Think its just down to the training. really awesome place but need to jack it up a little !

"Rather pickup a 6 pack and pizza on the way home. Nothing better for your tired body than slouching on a couch in front of the TV and carbo loading for the week to come..."

Problem is after riding with some friends you want to chat etc - maybe the best solution is to bring this thread to the attention of the owner - whoever that is.

"Rather pickup a 6 pack and pizza on the way home. Nothing better for your tired body than slouching on a couch in front of the TV and carbo loading for the week to come..."

Problem is after riding with some friends you want to chat etc - maybe the best solution is to bring this thread to the attention of the owner - whoever that is.

Your friends can pick up their pizza's and six packs on way to your couch as well?

But I agree, bringing it to the attention of the owner is the best thing.

It really can't be that hard to manage and if done right is a cash cow. Hell he can even get someone to pay him a couple of hundred bucks a weekend and let some innovative entrepeneur run it.

Has huge potential....

I think we need to support the folk that support our activities - so hopefully teak will sort the service out !

when we arrived, they told us sat the gate the restaurant wasn't gonna be open.

2 riders from our group returned earlier and 1 decided to wait for us. they again warned her that the restaurant was not open - at the gate, and when she sat down. but then she waited on the stoep for us to finish anyway.

when we came back, we sat around - just because it was a beautiful morning - like lots of other people. a few minutes later the message came that the kitchen will open - we had an excellent breakfast ... waiter warned us that sh'es never waiter'ed and that it's not the usual staff because they weren't planning on being open then continued riding.

a beautiful day with some great people on the trails.

and thx for opening up the kitchen anyway!

We ride at Teak and then eat at Something Country which is about 300m down from the Kloofzight circle in the direction of Avianto.

That restaurant sucks. It doesn't even have an espresso machine and serves coffee from one of those 1970s filter pots that stews on a warmer for two days until the contents turns into tar.

Pointers for spotting a crap restaurant.

1) Always be suspiscious of a restaurant that doesn't know what a Caffe Americano is.

2) Always be suspiscious of a restaurant with white table cloths and waiters that stand around in groups talking ****. Professionalism is more than just pretentious table finery.

3) Always be suspiscious of restaurants serving buffet breakfasts.

4) Always be suspiscious of a restaurant with a captive clientele.

5) Always be suspiscios of a restaurant with decor that is so out of kilter with the rest of the place that it is suspicious by itself. IIRC correctly this place has fancy tables, pocupine quill lamps, fake tusks and crap. It is a sure sign of a crap kitchen and stupid staff.

EDIT: I didn't put those asterisks there. The stupid system did it. Why can't I swear? What is the difference between alluding to swear - WTF etc - and actually swearing. I wanted to say s-h-i-t cause I meant s-h-i-t.

Edited by Johan Bornman

That restaurant sucks. It doesn't even have an espresso machine and serves coffee from one of those 1970s filter pots that stews on a warmer for two days until the contents turns into tar.

Pointers for spotting a crap restaurant.

1) Always be suspiscious of a restaurant that doesn't know what a Caffe Americano is.

2) Always be suspiscious of a restaurant with white table cloths and waiters that stand around in groups talking ****. Professionalism is more than just pretentious table finery.

3) Always be suspiscious of restaurants serving buffet breakfasts.

4) Always be suspiscious of a restaurant with a captive clientele.

5) Always be suspiscios of a restaurant with decor that is so out of kilter with the rest of the place that it is suspicious by itself. IIRC correctly this place has fancy tables, pocupine quill lamps, fake tusks and crap. It is a sure sign of a crap kitchen and stupid staff.

EDIT: I didn't put those asterisks there. The stupid system did it. Why can't I swear? What is the difference between alluding to swear - WTF etc - and actually swearing. I wanted to say s-h-i-t cause I meant s-h-i-t.

Whats wrong with a buffet breakfast? :unsure:

I love the trails, but the service sucks.

If you're the owner, take a step back and look at what the guys are saying. You must be a good oke, you reported back to us hubbers that you had found someone's wheel.

Please jack up the restaurant and make it easier for us to stay and play and drink your cold beer.