Riding up the DOWNhills at Tokai

grb285

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it would be a good idea to post a picture of those magical dudes that do trail maintenance and building in Tokai. It took some stealthy investigations and cunning stalking, but I finally managed to snap them yesterday where they were fixing the up-bypass for the top of Vasbyt/Downhill 1. They seemed a real merry bunch that appreciated every Snow White that cycled past. It turned out they are a real diverse lot, and they even cycle themselves, riding anything from hardtails to downhill dozers.

:thumbup:

post-13110-0-45495600-1307265091.jpg

... look, from this angle you can even see their vehicles. Must've gone under the boom!

:thumbup:

Edited by Pain or Shine

Just got bck from Tokai, cant say I noticed the changes, but I am sure they are there. The signs definately need to go up. Just before I hit the second berm going down Vasbyt, and what do I get???? A guy coming up so not cool man!

Mebbe something similar along the lines of Groenkloof with signage.

http://www.specialized-sa.co.za/images/resources/Groenkloof_sign.jpg

The entry and no-entry signs are bit more basic with a single pole cut at an angle and the plate is fixed onto the sloped part of the pole.

Found Groenies to have the most effective signage, it's visible, robust and not an eyesore. Being SANParks I'm sure Tokai could adopt the same?

Just got bck from Tokai, cant say I noticed the changes, but I am sure they are there. The signs definately need to go up. Just before I hit the second berm going down Vasbyt, and what do I get???? A guy coming up so not cool man!

Hey Riyadh,

if you saw the top of Vasbyt, there is now a log across the entry-point, that was put there to help prevent erosion as well as to divert water from going down the trail itself, rather diverting it into the wood. There were also alterations done to the diversion on Vasbyt, the trail that peeps SHOULD be using to get up to the main road instead of going up the berm and past the jumps. The entry point is just by the 3rd jump on Vasbyt, off to the right and into the forest. We had to clear out some new trail there, because a big-ass tree had blocked the existing route, and erosion had converted the top section into a WICKED rooty section. Fine for those going down, but not for going up.

Also built a bit of a ramp so that the guys coming up that diversion didn't have to get off and huck their bike over a 1/2 metre high log.

Other than that, it was just basic erosion-control - creating culverts & channels for water to be diverted down to the fire road as opposed to carrying on down Vasbyt itself, as well as filling in a few sections that have been eroded badly. Also shaped the top berm of Vasbyt a bit, making it a bit smoother and, once again, erosion prevention.

Also put the logs that you see on the RHS of Vasbyt by the root drops to help stop peeps coming up...

The diversion for those coming up eventually comes out about 30m down the road from the Vasbyt entry chute, right where the fire road bends, and after the massive log pile. Give it a look - it's now a very good diversion for people who have come up the bottom half of vasbyt, and wish to carry on doing ST all the way up to the level.

Cool, I actually did notice the top berm was smoothed out and I did jump a couple of huge logs and wanted to swear those werent there before. Anyways next time I will try to stop and take a look. <_<

Guest Omega Man

And JW - I could seriously get used to your sled. Wasn't used to the feel of a lounge on wheels, but I started feeling the addiction later on down the track. As a bike to pop my DH cherry on... damn! Just needed to let it do its thing!

There's a very nice Demo 8 going for 17k. Just thought i'd mention it.

There's a very nice Demo 8 going for 17k. Just thought i'd mention it.

You're a bad, bad man, giving me ideas like that.

Instant divorce material, that is. Especially at a time like this!

Guest Omega Man

Ok I don't know where else to vent so here goes.

To the F@GS who don't have the sack to ride down the track on DH2 cos they are scared of a few little rocks and took it on themselves to drag a new track with their rear wheels next to the actual track.

You've now caused an erosion problem. Thanks for that.

I've closed off the entrance to that track with some trees. But so help me god. If I see someone riding down there they will feel the hard side of my full face against the head.

If you don't have the b@lls to ride down the track ride down the fire road. That's what its there for.

Edited by Omega Man

i have seen that track on dh2. it has been there for a very long time, if it is the same one, about half way down it goes around the left side of a tree.

Guest Omega Man

It basically goes straight down from the point where Lizard and DH2 intersect.

Saw the unmistakable tread of a Mavic Crossmark on it yesterday. And on Saturday when we were doing trail maintenance.

Edited by Omega Man

Ok I don't know where else to vent so here goes.

To the F@GS who don't have the sack to ride down the track on DH2 cos they are scared of a few little rocks and took it on themselves to drag a new track with their rear wheels next to the actual track.

You've now caused an erosion problem. Thanks for that.

I've closed off the entrance to that track with some trees. But so help me god. If I see someone riding down there they will feel the hard side of my full face against the head.

If you don't have the b@lls to ride down the track ride down the fire road. That's what its there for.

Absolutely agree with you on this issue.

Saw the unmistakable tread of a Mavic Crossmark on it yesterday.

They were riding on their rims with no tyres on?