Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is what I use. Modern equivalent of the now deceased Cokin brand. Not the best but good enough. Be very careful as the plastic filters are easily scratched.

That's just a generic copy, the Cokin filter brand is still alive and well, perhaps just not widely available in SA.

Sunrise ride to Avianto yesterday

attachicon.gifIMG_6637.JPG

LTG........why not (re)post some of the Van Gaalen classics that you have taken.......will add to the viewing pleasure on this thread....

......and also pages and pages to this thread. :thumbup:

LTG........why not (re)post some of the Van Gaalen classics that you have taken.......will add to the viewing pleasure on this thread....

......and also pages and pages to this thread. :thumbup:

^_^ ... will do.

Karkloof yesterday. The sky was very bright so decided to take a pic with the sky blown out, and tree silhouetted. Colour saturation reduced to almost zero but not a true B&W.

B&W not my forté so comments appreciated.

post-3498-0-14896100-1440412313_thumb.jpg

hi guys

there is some awesome pictures here.

a suggestion: would be nice to have the photographs settings posted and whether they are raw or processed pictures. 

hi guys

there is some awesome pictures here.

a suggestion: would be nice to have the photographs settings posted and whether they are raw or processed pictures. 

I think almost every shot will be processed, some less than others but most will run it through some basic adjustments.

I always shoot RAW, and to be honest, settings won't help you much as every scene requires different settings... for landscape it is quite simple as you will shoot aperture mainly between f10-f16 [find the sweet spot of your lens], and iso on the lowest to avoid any noise.

Cathedral Peak from 1 of the trout dams in the area.

Happy friday and a lekker weekend !

attachicon.gif5F4A8722-odp.jpg

I smaak this Vivek

Have you tried to lift the shadows a bit?

Might kill the atmosphere of the pic though

:thumbup:

I smaak this Vivek

Have you tried to lift the shadows a bit?

Might kill the atmosphere of the pic though

:thumbup:

Thanks Bland.

intentionally left the shadows this way to enhance the golden bit that was lit up at sunrise.

some birds. with settings

Lilac Brested Roller - Canon 70D + 400L/5.6, iso640, 1/2500sec, f5.6, EV+1

post-67394-0-07323600-1440762501_thumb.jpg

Black shouldered kite. Canon 5d3 + Tamron 150-600, iso800, 1/400sec, f8 EV+1.3

post-67394-0-44813400-1440762594_thumb.jpg

south side view of a Pied Kingfisher. Canon 70D + Tamron 150-600, iso800, 1/1250sec, f8, EV+1.7

post-67394-0-04671400-1440762766_thumb.jpg

Love the fact that you used settings. I see you using two bodies? one cropped (for reach?)  

Great pics btw. Amazed at the background blur even at F8, I never shoot longer than 150mm lol

Edited by nazmo

thanks. yes crop sensor for the extra reach. full frame for landscape and then also low light nature/wildlife shooting when I need to boost the iso to 6400 or more.

I hired that Tamron lens to test it out, wide open it lacks some sharpness and f8 is about the sweet spot of that lens. But key with those shots is that I was really close to the birds and the bg was quite a distance away.

I have just sold my canon 400 prime and bought the sigma 150-600 C this morning, needed that extra reach when using the 5D. Off to St Lucia next month so will get to test it out properly.

Karkloof yesterday. The sky was very bright so decided to take a pic with the sky blown out, and tree silhouetted. Colour saturation reduced to almost zero but not a true B&W.

B&W not my forté so comments appreciated.

Awesome shot. Something to be said for keeping the composition simple and nicely balanced.