Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

new years, Verlorenvlei, Elands Bay

Daughter trying to draw hearts, same venue as above, but windy as frek!

I love this type of picture. 

post-2696-0-16866000-1484814805_thumb.jpg

I use ACDsee Pro 9 as the database/tweaker of images as I dont like to play around to much with the digital. Prefer the image as it comes out the camera.

However in this case I am really disapointed at the JPG conversion. The raw image is so much crisper, the true to colour.

I played with the temp and contrast - but I am not happy with the image, but thought I would post it anyway. I am really getting into astrophotography.

And in case, the middle lower part of the image is the southern cross, with the coal sack nebular (dark patches) and the Magellanic Cloud top right. This is the start of the galaxy core.

The orange glow is light polution from Veldrif and Langebaan.

Nice. better than what I can get.

your bridge photo is pretty awesome !!! love the fact that the right street light is out and all the rest are working it adds a little something different to the image.

attachicon.gifMG0A8902_1.jpg

I use ACDsee Pro 9 as the database/tweaker of images as I dont like to play around to much with the digital. Prefer the image as it comes out the camera.

However in this case I am really disapointed at the JPG conversion. The raw image is so much crisper, the true to colour.

I played with the temp and contrast - but I am not happy with the image, but thought I would post it anyway. I am really getting into astrophotography.

And in case, the middle lower part of the image is the southern cross, with the coal sack nebular (dark patches) and the Magellanic Cloud top right. This is the start of the galaxy core.

The orange glow is light polution from Veldrif and Langebaan.

Astro is very tricky, and your equipment plays a huge role here. Fullframe body and a f2.8 lens or better makes it much easier, but it is still tricky as you have to find the right balance of ISO/exposure time etc.

I am doing a 4 day trip on the Berg with some of SA's best landscape photographers and this is 1 area where I am going to take the much needed tips. I have the gear, just need to improve the skills.

Astro is very tricky, and your equipment plays a huge role here. Fullframe body and a f2.8 lens or better makes it much easier, but it is still tricky as you have to find the right balance of ISO/exposure time etc.

I am doing a 4 day trip on the Berg with some of SA's best landscape photographers and this is 1 area where I am going to take the much needed tips. I have the gear, just need to improve the skills.

The big trick with Astro is stacking, not actually exposure. You can only expose for as long as you don't get movement for. Obviously aperture and noise-less ISO plays a big part in that. 

I use(d) Deep Sky Stacker for my astro stuff when I was still into it, and it makes a massive difference.

I went comet hunting 3 years ago, and whilst it's not the best photo, the comet was so dim you couldn't even see it on a 30s exposure, but once you stacked it, it started coming to life

http://i.imgur.com/Iokjnwk.jpg

And if you take many many exposures, you can also do light trails without excessive noise and exposure (same set of images as above)

http://i.imgur.com/rDjo1Dx.jpg

And if you have an equivalent of 1200mm in the form of a telescope, you can get really close to the moon!

http://i.imgur.com/nXkPpeI.jpg

:clap:  +1, agree. Just dont like technology letting me down. Been reading alot about different programs and JPG converters from RAW. The bank manager would have a fit at some of those prices.

Bertus some really nice images there. What was the price tag on the stacker (just seen its for free)

I am trying to get the perfect one shot image, straight out the camera with as little post editing as possible. Yes I know, needle, haystack and lala land.

I am trying to get the perfect one shot image, straight out the camera with as little post editing as possible. Yes I know, needle, haystack and lala land.

Not gonna happen I'm afraid. You can get a decent image probably, but nothing like what you see when people refer to astrophotography. Nor what you can see with the eye. The amount of light actually hitting your sensor is so dim (remember it has travelled for trillions of kilometers, and if you apply the inverse square law, you get a very minute figure) that there is actually almost no information being captured by the camera. Hence, if you take a little bit of information, and multiply it by 100, you get a lot more data to work with.

Bertus some really nice images there. What was the price tag on the stacker (just seen its for free)

What gear are you using?

I thought the perfect one shot image was also a possibility, and have since found out that filters, stacking, multiple exposure setting on camera, etc., etc., etc. has a lot to do with the final image - forget about the post-processing part of it too.

7d mk2 with 100 - 400 lens, and a 16-35 f2.8.

am wanting to get something to fill the gap between 35 - 100 with a lens and then the last one on the list will be a 75-200mm L series

all second hand.

7d mk2 with 100 - 400 lens, and a 16-35 f2.8.

am wanting to get something to fill the gap between 35 - 100 with a lens and then the last one on the list will be a 75-200mm L series

all second hand.

Have you tried the multiple exposure setting? AFAIK, your 7D can do 2-9 exposures.

I'll edit in a video that explains this. Just need to find the link.

While searching for the above link, this one popped up on my previously played list.

Edited by geraldm24