Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

Congrats, I'm rather envious. I sold my D5200 because there was no way I would be able to afford decent lenses, but I'm pretty much content with the P9's camera - for a phone, it takes okay shots.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Also had a D5200, with a bit of saving and a bit of patience you can really get some nice lenses.

I have Sigma 30mm f1.4, which I use almost all the time, bought it for R3500 a couple of years ago

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also had a D5200, with a bit of saving and a bit of patience you can really get some nice lenses.

I have Sigma 30mm f1.4, which I use almost all the time, bought it for R3500 a couple of years ago

Ja I also found that I'm quite content taking pics with a phone, and I have to think about my daughters future, and bicycle related things, hehe.

In other news (nice one Escapee), LR is now online only. LR desktop will no longer get support.

I really dont like the paying every month for the rest of my life to use software.

I also use ACDsee, but what other options are there for converting and editing RAW images?

In other news (nice one Escapee), LR is now online only. LR desktop will no longer get support.

I really dont like the paying every month for the rest of my life to use software.

I also use ACDsee, but what other options are there for converting and editing RAW images?

Maybe a dof question, but I paid cash for the Lightroom 6 DVD, so does that mean I'll still have to pay a monthly fee to use it?

Maybe a dof question, but I paid cash for the Lightroom 6 DVD, so does that mean I'll still have to pay a monthly fee to use it?

No. But you will not get any upgrades for LR 6.

Everything is moving to the cloud, meaning you need access to the internet to use it.

And lets not get started with the fact that Adobe is also going to "force" you to buy storage, cause there is no way they will give you all the storage space you need for your photo's online.

If you are sitting in a game lodge without access to the net, you are stuffed ! It needs to look for the mother ship every 30 days to stay current. :cursing:

(but still confusing)

Details here:

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/62021/does-the-cloud-version-of-lightroom-require-an-internet-connection

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1835805

And then, me being a tinfoil conspiracy type guy, lets not get started on who "owns" your photos once they are stored on a server that is not even within the county borders you live. Big Brother is always watching!

Good question. I'd like to know too. Preferably as user  friendly as possible please.

What? Dit is belaglik! Haven't used anything else than Lr to edit my RAW images. I love the software and it is really powerful.

So what happens if you are away for holiday and have no internet access?

What? Dit is belaglik! Haven't used anything else than Lr to edit my RAW images. I love the software and it is really powerful.

Ja, this cloud thing is not really viable in (South) Africa

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9793353649/adobe-launches-all-new-cloud-based-lightroom-cc-rebrands-old-application-lightroom-classic

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/18/bye-bye-lightroom-hello-lightroom-cc-faster-lightroom-classic/

Well I will use LR 6 desktop for a while and hopefully when I need to upgrade another company will fill the void left by Adobe.

(As an aside, my favourite cycling software, Sportstracks, has gone the same way. Only have cloud based, and no longer support the desk top software. I mean strava *spit* and garmin connect and polar are all cloud based and I cant stand it).

Previous weekend I was in the Northern Cape, next to the Orange river, with MINIMAL internet access.

Taking photos for a client.  A series that had to be merged in RAW.  I had to get down the koppie, upload and merge the photos right there to make SURE we had a keeper !  If not I had to get back up the koppie and shoot again .... I did some basic work in Lightroom 5, then did the merge in Photoshop (old version).  The merged file was 890 Meg !!  This is being printed to a length of 10m ......  Well the total shoot was just over 30 GIG for the weekend !!

For these shoots your software MUST work on the laptop !

I enjoy Lightroom.  But as a hobyist I cant justify a monthly subscription, and editing cloud based simply is NOT an option !!

Cant show the project photos here, but here are some of the play pics of the weekend -

post-110956-0-87628100-1508778364_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-37987200-1508778390_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-96226800-1508778407_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-40883300-1508778434_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-11015200-1508778455_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-95712500-1508778491_thumb.jpg

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9793353649/adobe-launches-all-new-cloud-based-lightroom-cc-rebrands-old-application-lightroom-classic

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/18/bye-bye-lightroom-hello-lightroom-cc-faster-lightroom-classic/

Well I will use LR 6 desktop for a while and hopefully when I need to upgrade another company will fill the void left by Adobe.

(As an aside, my favourite cycling software, Sportstracks, has gone the same way. Only have cloud based, and no longer support the desk top software. I mean strava *spit* and garmin connect and polar are all cloud based and I cant stand it).

Ironically I enjoy both Garmin and Polar being cloud based .... I can upload at work (commute bike), at home and from my phone when at some event, and my ride data is available from any point of access.

BUT, we are talking of very small file sizes.

Game changes when dealing with very large files, and limited access ....  ALSO, every so often I deal with photos that I (my clients) DONT want on the cloud .....

No. But you will not get any upgrades for LR 6.

Everything is moving to the cloud, meaning you need access to the internet to use it.

And lets not get started with the fact that Adobe is also going to "force" you to buy storage, cause there is no way they will give you all the storage space you need for your photo's online.

If you are sitting in a game lodge without access to the net, you are stuffed ! It needs to look for the mother ship every 30 days to stay current. :cursing:

(but still confusing)

Details here:

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/62021/does-the-cloud-version-of-lightroom-require-an-internet-connection

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1835805

And then, me being a tinfoil conspiracy type guy, lets not get started on who "owns" your photos once they are stored on a server that is not even within the county borders you live. Big Brother is always watching!

I haven't turned the desktop PC on yet to check it out, but I see on the Lightroom mobile app, you can edit photos while being offline. So at least I'll be able to edit my cellphone photos while on the go, lol.

Fork me Chris, if those are play photo's I would hate to see the real thing !

Hehehe .... boring by comparison ....

I enjoy star-trails.  Being in the Northern Cape, and having the lodge lights switched OFF creates such an idylic setting !!  Absolutely zero light pollution....

Client wanted an ultra-high res photo of a vineyard, to be able to print it 10 meters long, for a mural.  Only way to get that much info into a photo is to take multiple shots in raw, and then stitch it in Photoshop.  Send the photoshop file directly to the graphics guys ....

Does make for LITTLE sleep though .... spending 95% of the night playing with the stars, and then being on top of the koppie before sunrise for the actual shoot.  And before you realise it, shooting and editing and it is midday .....

with any luck I may be back there by the end of the month ... this time closer to full moon.  Less stars, but so much more detail in the foreground .....  May just get some real keeper shots for the client !! :)

PS - I go there as a mechanical engineer, the pics is just an absolute BONUS !!

Edited by ChrisF

Previous weekend I was in the Northern Cape, next to the Orange river, with MINIMAL internet access.

Taking photos for a client.  A series that had to be merged in RAW.  I had to get down the koppie, upload and merge the photos right there to make SURE we had a keeper !  If not I had to get back up the koppie and shoot again .... I did some basic work in Lightroom 5, then did the merge in Photoshop (old version).  The merged file was 890 Meg !!  This is being printed to a length of 10m ......  Well the total shoot was just over 30 GIG for the weekend !!

I enjoy Lightroom.  But as a hobyist I cant justify a monthly subscription, and editing cloud based simply is NOT an option !!

Cant show the project photos here, but here are some of the play pics of the weekend -

attachicon.gifSCMM-20 (Large).jpg

attachicon.gifSCMM-24 (Large).jpg

attachicon.gifSCMM-25 (Large).jpg

attachicon.gifSCMM-50 (Large).jpg

attachicon.gifSCMM-48 (Large).jpg

attachicon.gifSCMM-58 (Large).jpg

Wow, Oom se night photography is amazing! Oom kan maar neem! Blikkies en boontjiesop! Dis baie goeie werk Oom.

EDIT: As ek mag vra, watter body en lens het Oom gebruik?

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Taking photos for a client. A series that had to be merged in RAW. I had to get down the koppie, upload and merge the photos right there to make SURE we had a keeper ! If not I had to get back up the koppie and shoot again .... I did some basic work in Lightroom 5, then did the merge in Photoshop (old version). The merged file was 890 Meg !! This is being printed to a length of 10m ...... Well the total shoot was just over 30 GIG for the weekend !!

I enjoy Lightroom. But as a hobyist I cant justify a monthly subscription, and editing cloud based simply is NOT an option !!

attachicon.gifSCMM-20 (Large).jpg

attachicon.gifSCMM-24 (Large).jpg

attachicon.gifSCMM-25 (Large).jpg

attachicon.gifSCMM-50 (Large).jpg

attachicon.gifSCMM-48 (Large).jpg

attachicon.gifSCMM-58 (Large).jpg

ChrisF, ek gaan dit sê en ek wil dit sê, bliksem dit is mooi fotos [emoji898]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk