Oh and it is Nikon by the way!

:D

The 85mm is Sold... and I have a new beast in my bag!  :eek:

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need some advice. I posted before about opinions about a Canon GX1 MK 111 and got an idea. I need a compact camera for taking on rides both MTB and motorbike. The choices seem to be between this Canon GX1 MK 111 or a Sony RX 100 Mk V1 or a Canon G7 Mk 11.

Anybody able to give an informed opinion on which to get?

Thanks.

Edited by sawystertrance

I need some advice. I posted before about opinions about a Canon GX1 MK 111 and got an idea. I need a compact camera for taking on rides both MTB and motorbike. The choices seem to be between this Canon GX1 MK 111 or a Sony RX 100 Mk V1 or a Canon G7 Mk 11.

Thanks.

I'm not too clued up on compact camera's myself, but the RX 100 has been a 'dream' compact of mine since I found out about the RX 100 Mk ii, so I would say go for the Sony, although the Canon G7X Mk ii will be easier on your pocket. Although, like with most things, you get what you pay for.... the Canon could be okay for what you need it for.

Here's a comparison between the two:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/canon/g7x-mark-ii/vs/sony/rx100-vi/

Thanks.

The Sony looks good off the bat but you might want to expand a little on what you intend on doing. Video? Fast Action? Shooting in low light, etc?

The Sony has 16fps vs 9fps on the Canon, great for fast action.

Sony is lighter, better battery life, has a F1.8 apparture vs the 2.8 on the Canon

4k video which the Canon does not have.

But... ek Sony die Canon net afskryf nie.

The Canon does have a bigger sensor with higher ISO capabilities, 49 focal points vs 29, touch screen and has environmental sealing.  The Sony can be used in "tough conditions", not sure if that's the same as environmental sealing.

Whenever I get stuck with gear comparisons, this is my go-to site:

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-IV-vs-Canon-PowerShot-G1-X-Mark-III

Morning guys and thanks for your input.

WW and Tankman, those comparison sites are particularly useful.

I think the main use I have in mind for the camera is scenery – the ability when out on the bike to stop, take out the camera, and take decent photos. However, that may on occasion include shots in low light, like the braai, night sky etc. On average, light will be normal though.

I have read a few reviews and the following aspects are the important ones for me:

1. Sony has a bigger zoom.
  2. Canon is better in low light.
  3. Sony can do slowmo video.
  4. Canon has a bigger sensor.
  5. Sony can stitch panoramic shots.
  6. Sony is slimmer with no rotating knob on top.
  7. Canon has ND filter.
  8. Canon has time lapse. Very nice function. I can, however, use my cellphone or GoPro for that.
  9. Sony has a viewfinder, Canon not.

Both great cameras but overall, I think the Sony is shading it due to zoom and slowmo video. Still undecided, though and I will keep thinking.

Thanks again.

I know I shouldn't say that here, and especially not now, but my kids talked me into buying a Huawei P20 the other day (yes, just a week before the Trump vs Huawei troubles started) because they swore that its camera would impress me......and it does! I'm more surprised than anyone with what is possible. No, I won't throw the EOS away, but I may just leave the little mik & druk at home more often. The only thing that the compact still has on the phone, is its waterproof and shockproof build. The phone is quite fragile despite its mean looking case. But this far it is giving me very good pictures. Like these.It seems to cope better with backlighting and big dark/light contrasts than any phone camera I used before.

post-17716-0-64100600-1559122466_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-96549700-1559122478_thumb.jpg

DJ, where did you guys stay ?

Place called Langrug Lodge next to Soetendalsvlei near Bredasdorp. Very peaceful and quiet. Old cottage, nothing fancy but well run - very good birdwatching, reading and relaxation.

OK, So now I've muddied the waters even further by reading a review of the Lumix ZS100 / TZ100.

It has great reviews. Eish

Edited by sawystertrance

OK, So now I've muddied the waters even further by reading a review of the Lumix ZS100 / TZ100.

It has great reviews. Eish

These cameras are VERY similar nowadays .... gone are the days of a "bad" camera ...

Sadly the budget determines the spec level .....

May I recommend you visit ORMS (I see you are in Cape town), or the camera shop of your choice, and see what is available on our shores .... often the "paper research" leads to further frustration when you see that not all models are available locally ....

For your budget see what they have .... and THAT is when the itch really sets in ...  :devil:

PS - I did that a few weeks back.  Still not happy with the "Weight vs quality" that is available ....  For shear quality in P&S I can take my Powershot G15, old but what a nice camera !!  Just too heavy to lugg about on a MTB trail !!

Thanks. There are, for me, any way, many issues to decide on. For example, the Canon does Time Lapse. That is a strong point. But then it has a knob and focusing ring ontop which are liable to damage when pulling out of pockets. And it also has a smaller zoom and no viewfinder.

It's a question of priorities, I guess.

I have been to Orms, thanks but the guy there was not much help. He wouldn't even unbox the Sony so I could compare it. I see his reasoning that some folk want a camera sealed in a box, but it didn't help me much..

Edited by sawystertrance

Thanks. There are, for me, any way, many issues to decide on. For example, the Canon does Time Lapse. That is a strong point. But then it has a knob and focusing ring ontop which are liable to damage when pulling out of pockets. And it also has a smaller zoom and no viewfinder.

I have been to Orms, thanks but the guy there was not much help. He wouldn't even unbox the Sony so I could compare it. I see his reasoning that some folk want a camera sealed in a box, but it didn't help me much..

I have always found Orms absolutely outstanding and the little bit I got to know of the owner / founder of Orms, he sure would like to know if one of his staff did something as stupid as that. He will definitely make sure that they find a solution and that it never happens again. Service is the one thing that they have become known for. Still think it a strange / stupid excuse, because every model for sale should have an example on show for the customer to try out. That is how I have always found it. 

Ouch !  Certainly NOT the typical service I get from ORMS.

Then again, my office looks out onto ORMS in Bellville .... :eek:   NOT GOOD ...  :cursing:   :whistling:

Why time lapse ?  :w00t:

post-110956-0-02779100-1559143340_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-81254600-1559143360_thumb.jpg