Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

Various shots from game parks (Laikipia, Kenya; Mala Mala, Mpumalanga; Kruger).

Camera used: Canon D450.

Lenses: Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM.

Canon 18-55mm

post-6252-0-03410100-1327905880.jpg

post-6252-0-37031700-1327906103.jpg

post-6252-0-44252800-1327906115.jpg

post-6252-0-93338600-1327906124.jpg

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Various shots from game parks (Laikipia, Kenya; Mala Mala, Mpumalanga; Kruger).

Camera used: Canon D450.

Lenses: Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM.

Canon 18-55mm

Loving your work StevieL :drool:

Sorrty to come in late... I haven't been receiving notifications from this thread for some reason...

@ StevieL, The sunset with the sky reflecting off the water as well as the red wildebeest (sorry) buffalo are awesome shots.

@Dangle, that hand held with the fountains earlier is awesome. Really good for handheld bro! :thumbup:

Edited by Grebel

I know less than nothing about what makes a good pic , but i like this one my wife took .

post-8504-0-39971700-1327909167.jpg

Great shots StevieL. I have finally decided on my cam and going to get it this weekend if all goes according to plan. I will be getting the Cannon eos 500D gonna be rocking

Great shots StevieL. I have finally decided on my cam and going to get it this weekend if all goes according to plan. I will be getting the Cannon eos 500D gonna be rocking

Good choice. Didi you get the bundle with the lenses, bag, card etc? I was too impatient to wait for that model and went the Sony Alpha route a few years ago. A few months ago, I was second guessing my decision, but after checking out Out Door Photo, it turns out that the Sony range out performs some of the other brands in a few areas. The upper end of their range is quite capable. The availability of second hand glass and accessories in general is a problem. If you have patience, they do come up. I laid my hands on a year old flash for just over half the price of a new one!

At the end of the day it isn't what is in your hand that matters but rather who's pushing the buttons and how much they know...

Enjoy your new camera!

the sony range is great. i had one before an affirmative shopper helped themselves to it.

now im flying the canon flag and found the sony far more intuitive at the start.

loving my 7D now

Nice camera! You going to love it I'm sure.

I think it has been said already on here but just to reiterate. Just about any of the current SLR's - be it Sony, Nikon, Canon etc - take great pics. The difference comes from A: the person clicking the button and B: the glass on the front of the camera.

StevieL's work is a great example of this. He's not using a top end camera but clearly he knows what he is doing and he has some fantasict glass on the front of his camera (in fact, the lens in question probably cost double that of the camera).

But the most important thing of all it to have fun taking the pics...

G

Edit - just noticed the lens is version II - so make that 3 to 4 time the price of the camera body :w00t:

Edited by Dubber

Nice camera! You going to love it I'm sure.

I think it has been said already on here but just to reiterate. Just about any of the current SLR's - be it Sony, Nikon, Canon etc - take great pics. The difference comes from A: the person clicking the button and B: the glass on the front of the camera.

StevieL's work is a great example of this. He's not using a top end camera but clearly he knows what he is doing and he has some fantasict glass on the front of his camera (in fact, the lens in question probably cost double that of the camera).

But the most important thing of all it to have fun taking the pics...

G

Edit - just noticed the lens is version II - so make that 3 to 4 time the price of the camera body :w00t:

You are quite right, Dubber, it did cost an arm and a leg.... :whistling:

But to be honest I dont see the point in purchasing a new body when this one seems to be doing just fine.

I can vouch for the fact that the lens is what makes a great pic...

My advice to anyone looking for a camera is to spend less on the body (obviously get one that is semi-decent) and blow the budget on the lens.

Which is what I have done... :clap:

Good choice. Didi you get the bundle with the lenses, bag, card etc? I was too impatient to wait for that model and went the Sony Alpha route a few years ago. A few months ago, I was second guessing my decision, but after checking out Out Door Photo, it turns out that the Sony range out performs some of the other brands in a few areas. The upper end of their range is quite capable. The availability of second hand glass and accessories in general is a problem. If you have patience, they do come up. I laid my hands on a year old flash for just over half the price of a new one!

At the end of the day it isn't what is in your hand that matters but rather who's pushing the buttons and how much they know...

Enjoy your new camera!

It is a bundle package and comes with 18-55 and 75-300 lens. I know these are entry level lenses but to start off with I think they'll do the job. You also get camera training with it. Has anybody ever done the training?

I love Canon, the ease of use is a pleasure, saying that the manual functions on my Fuji X-100 also makes it a pleasure to use and it's an "over performer" in low light.

So to come back to bodies, that joystick on the 7D :w00t: once you get spoilt with it, you never look back.

The greatest thing about the Canon L-series zooms is that through the zoom range they deliver images equivalent to almost any prime lens, but ouch they are duur :whistling:

The 50 mm. f1.4 is a beauty and sharp.

The 70-200 f2.8 IS is super heavy, I bought one secondhand, I should have looked for a S/H 70-200 f4L IS

the 2.8 is miles ahead of the f4. having said that, I've got an f4 (a used one was all I could afford) and I'm loving it.

I had the opportunity a few years back to shoot extensively with both the 2.8 and the f4 side by side. In the conditions I was shooting (Africa Fashion week) the 2.8 won hands down and is well worth its extra weight.

Focusing was quicker and more accurate resulting in sharper images.

over about 300 shots with each lens I'd take the 2.8 if I could get one at my kinda price.

Yeah, agree with the Canon's ease of use!

My wife is trying to get me to say that I'll buy her a 5d body (we've currently got a 450d) cos she wants the low-light capability that the 5D has when comparing with "prosumer" models. I'm trying to convince her that we should rather get the lenses first, as those will greatly enhance the current camera's useability and low-light response when it comes to longer zoom settings, as well as at below 50mm when the f1.8 prime can't be used.

The thing is, if we get the lenses now, we'll still have a camera to use them with. But if we get the new body now, we'll still have to get new lenses anyway...

The new lenses (thinking 24-70 f2.8L & a 100mm f2.8L) with the current cam will be far better than the existing lenses with a new cam, even taking into account the significantly superior low light characteristics that the 5d has.

One word remains though. OUCH! Those babies aren't cheap...