CSA - Cycling South Africa in Debt.

RocknRolla

Is CSA making money?

I have heard that they are in trouble financially for a couple of bar.

Surely if we are all paying our license fees (weather day or race) they should not be spending more than they are making?

along with the government grants,sponsorships etc?

I also heard that Barry Mocke Resigned??

Do we get a say in how things are run? if so, when and where is this opportunity represented?

what's going on? and i am not talking about the PR that is presented on the Website - i mean, seriously who puts negative stuff on their propriety website.

Edited by RocknRolla

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to get a small blood vessel throbbing uncontrollably when I think of CSA!

I heard they took a bath for about 5 bar on the Tour of SA and another 2 bar on the PMB WC - that's a fair whack of money in any currency! Mugabe-like levels of competence seem to abound in that organisation, which is a fair stretch of the word "organisation"!

I heard on Supercycling this week that he was resigning, and I certainly will not be shedding in any tears. As best I can ascertain CSA is effectively bankrupt, which happened on Barry Mocke's watch... so all his fault. :thumbdown:

I tend to get a small blood vessel throbbing uncontrollably when I think of CSA!

I heard they took a bath for about 5 bar on the Tour of SA and another 2 bar on the PMB WC - that's a fair whack of money in any currency! Mugabe-like levels of competence seem to abound in that organisation, which is a fair stretch of the word "organisation"!

I heard on Supercycling this week that he was resigning, and I certainly will not be shedding in any tears. As best I can ascertain CSA is effectively bankrupt, which happened on Barry Mocke's watch... so all his fault. :thumbdown:

Please dont hold back any tears ,cause from the supersport discussion around his resignation ,it was stated that he will now spend all his time on :...........................wait for it ...........................................Tour of SA !! Lots of crying on its way if you ask me !dry.gif

well, this brings up the whole debacle of what we as "the garden variety" cyclist is getting for our license fees? (other than being out of pocket)

why do i have to subsidize national or even international events, if i get absolutely nothing for it.

I will probably get fed the whole: "bringing the sport to the people".. and "Helping to develop the sport" BS

problem i have with the whole thing is, i don't have a choice but to pay my license fees, if i want to partake in a race. But i aint getting Shite for it... if i am paying, i at least want to know that my money is in good hands, being applied to important aspects of cycling in South Africa. Or at the least benefiting me in some way (still to be seen)

It is very simple , select just one or two races in a region and boycott them . Not because you don't like the race organizer or the route but to get them to also send CSA where they belong . I haven't done one XC race in the last year because I will not pay that license fee .

It is very simple , select just one or two races in a region and boycott them . Not because you don't like the race organizer or the route but to get them to also send CSA where they belong . I haven't done one XC race in the last year because I will not pay that license fee .

well. perhaps there should be a bigger drive, to rather boycott one of the csa's bigger income races, like the argus and the 94.7.

I actually quite like this off their home page:

"CSA

We live in the most exciting era of sporting development. A time when full contact sport no longer holds centre stage. It is a passage of time when the art of sport is appreciated over the physicality of competition. Today, latent skills and blossoming talent has a place amongst our youth and the generations to come. It is now the subtle brilliance of deftness, the art of touch, mastery of stroke and pure strategic guile that has turned cricket into the sport of the future.

Today cricket is the stage for mental agility and peak physical condition. It is purity of both mind and spirit that produces champions. The re-invention of cricket globally has rejuvenated a desire to master the ultimate game. A sense of camaraderie pursued by both men and women alike. It's now a passion for gamesmanship, integrity, honesty and fair play. It is a game that can be embraced and played or supported by everyone.

We can’t undo the past, but we can shape the future. We do what we do today in cricket, for what will happen TOMORROW."

But I agree, keeping a profile of Herschelle Gibbs up when he's persona non grata is a bit weird.

Edited by TNT1

thank you TNT.

Topic Name Edited to reflect cycling related association

Edited by RocknRolla

I heard that the prize money for Tour of South Africa has not been paid out yet. :thumbdown:

Good PR when they are try to get overseas teams to commit for next year's tour.

Isn't he off to work on the ToSA full-time?

Isn't he off to work on the ToSA full-time?

To mess that up? Look at stage 2 of the 2011 Tour. Full time and he may mess up the whole thing!

To mess that up? Look at stage 2 of the 2011 Tour. Full time and he may mess up the whole thing!

I thought that too when I heard the rumour about it.

Maybe its 'cos I have not bought a license this year, not has my wife, my regular training partner or the few guys I occassionally see on the road.?

I will probably do two races this year officially, the Argus and the 94.7, my training partner will do only the 94.7, likewise my wife, so yeah, guys are voting with their feet I think, they dont make a lot of noise, but they just dont pay for a license or show up at races.

Not good for race organisers who may see lower numbers through no fault of their own, but then they need to lobby for Joe cyclist as well.

I have nothing against the principle of buying a license, but I expect something in return, which for the last few years was not forthcoming, I dont pay for nothing, in the long term, nobody dos, its a no brainer - when I see value, I will be first in the line with my cash to pay up - until then, they can battle with their poor finances and see if I care.

I actually quite like this off their home page:

"CSA

We live in the most exciting era of sporting development. A time when full contact sport no longer holds centre stage. It is a passage of time when the art of sport is appreciated over the physicality of competition. Today, latent skills and blossoming talent has a place amongst our youth and the generations to come. It is now the subtle brilliance of deftness, the art of touch, mastery of stroke and pure strategic guile that has turned cricket into the sport of the future.

Today cricket is the stage for mental agility and peak physical condition. It is purity of both mind and spirit that produces champions. The re-invention of cricket globally has rejuvenated a desire to master the ultimate game. A sense of camaraderie pursued by both men and women alike. It's now a passion for gamesmanship, integrity, honesty and fair play. It is a game that can be embraced and played or supported by everyone.

We can’t undo the past, but we can shape the future. We do what we do today in cricket, for what will happen TOMORROW."

But I agree, keeping a profile of Herschelle Gibbs up when he's persona non grata is a bit weird.

Bwah ha ha ha :lol: Peak physical condition.

WHat is the purpose of us buying licenses?

Should they not use this to build us a lekker 20km track somewhere that are bicycles only? I am even willing to pay tollfees for this. 98% of all cyclists are recreational so why use our money to develope/sponsor the pros?

Are CSA not oblidged to show us their financials as most other bodies are?