R10 000 to spend on mountain bike

chrism123

Dude, don't get a silverback. Its got components but a suck frame.

If you want to win a race go with the giant xtc 2, merida matts lite 1000 or scott scale 70 or mabye even the 60. The giant is my favourite and is a really godd looking bike and their service is awsome.

http://merida-bikes.com/en_int/bike/38/MTB+Hardtail/MATTS+Lite+1000-D

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/xtc.2/4893/39100/ (go to the store to check out this bike. The picture here looks really crap and doesn't show the beauty of the frame)

http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/product/10024/55474/217947 (has nice stickers and geometry like the giant but has a rockshox tora)

Here is a better picture of the giant: http://bicyclingaustralia.com/classifieds/images/A/d-IYV2891503IUJ.jpg

In what way?

Dude, don't get a silverback. Its got components but a suck frame.

If you want to win a race go with the giant xtc 2, merida matts lite 1000 or scott scale 70 or mabye even the 60. The giant is my favourite and is a really godd looking bike and their service is awsome.

In what way?

Their geometry is pretty spot on, depending on the kind of riding of course. Nothing wrong with the frames, Segma Nine rides like a monster.

Interested to hear how winning equates to this, always thought winning was logically down to training and fitness, then the bike.

In what way?

In no way whatsoever. He's just a hater.

There is nothing wrong with Silverback's frames. Yes, they may be a bit heavier than their competitors' frame offerings, but they're built solidly. And extra weight shouldn't be a deal-breaker unless you're one of the top guys.

The Silverback range, like Merida, offer a VERY good value proposition. They spec their bikes very well, and from what I can see here, they are by far the best in terms of spec.

I think the poster is just being a bike snob. Nothing wrong with Silverback.

There is nothing wrong with Silverback's frames. Yes, they may be a bit heavier than their competitors' frame offerings, but they're built solidly. And extra weight shouldn't be a deal-breaker unless you're one of the top guys.

The Silverback range, like Merida, offer a VERY good value proposition. They spec their bikes very well, and from what I can see here, they are by far the best in terms of spec.

Or a bike snob wannabe.

If you want to go hardtail I would suggest going for a 29er.

A guy at my work just showed me his one he bought a week ago for under R10000.

I have not done much research into hardtail, nor 29ers as I am a duelie, but I can just think that those 29ers are a much beter softer ride!

Yea you might only look at the K2C and so this year, but next year if you want to do the Trans Baviaans you won;t want to buy another to accomodate the long-bumpy-ride!

I also started with a R10000 budget: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/95777-full-susser-max-r10k/page__p__1296269__fromsearch__1#entry1296269 , but then knew I wont want to 'upgrade' any time soon so got myself a brand new Scott Spark 60 duelie and loving him all the way!

Good luck and enjoy!

Sjoe that Ventura is excellent value for 6,k !

Wouldn't mind one to train on, even cheaper than my road bike I use for training :)

Any idea if the XXL will be up to the challenge of a 2,1m guy that weighs 140kg ?

I have a buddy that I want to get into mtb and his current bike is too small and isn't holding under the weight, allready broken the left crank arm off

It is an excelent price! I'm 1.93 and weigh 103 I got the XL and it is realy holding up well. Its also a super comfortable ride. I would recomend it to anyone! He definately wouldt have issues. Also the XL only weighs 12.5Kg!

Go for it!

Couldnt have said it better! I did my homework before buying one and there is nothing bad being said about them, even the reveiws in the zines are good. Infact the segma 29r came out on top in the may/june issue of Bicycling magazine, hell it even made the cover!

Unless you are a bike snob, buy the Silverback.

I had one for 3 years, never gave me any problems !!!!

Definitely the Spectra or Merida Matts lite 1000. Both great value for money.