CRAMPS: The clearest view I've read yet...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what is the best remedy to cope with cramps during racing?

Rennie, Rennie or Rennie.

Chew two rennies when you feel the cramp comming on and within a few seconds its gone.

I heard about quite an interesting "cure" for cramps last night.

My sister-in-law's husband's (how the hell do I put this otherwise??) came back from doing the Tour de Tule (he's from th USA) and told me that probably the best thing for cramps is the juice in a bottle of pickles. Thats what he uses and it works immediately. Probably due to the high sodium content.

Gonna give it a go and take a small bottle of this along in future long rides.

One other remedy he mentioned is that mustard you normally get with take-aways, but that one would be hard to swallow I think.

What do u guys think?

I think it will be easier to stick your finger in the spokes while riding at speed, the pain in your finger well make you forget about the cramp.

Pickle juice...[spoeging sound]

Rennie, Rennie or Rennie.

Chew two rennies when you feel the cramp comming on and within a few seconds its gone.

Maybe because you stopped the muscle action that was inducing the cramp when you stopped to get the rennies or pickle juice or mustard out of your pocket. :) Stop and stretch soon as you feel it starting but once it starts, likely to just bite you.

Maybe because you stopped the muscle action that was inducing the cramp when you stopped to get the rennies or pickle juice or mustard out of your pocket. :) Stop and stretch soon as you feel it starting but once it starts, likely to just bite you.

No ways, take a rennie on the run. I always carry some rennies when racing. Even helped out a fellow cyclist at the argus with some rennies on Chappies this year. This works for me.

I think it will be easier to stick your finger in the spokes while riding at speed, the pain in your finger well make you forget about the cramp.

:lol:

I thought someone would wanna test these remedies for us..... :rolleyes:

Good article, but why not try "anti-cramp tablets". It obviously contains all the potassium, calcium, magnesium and whatever else is necessary to keep your body going, so no need for broccoli and cauliflower which is IMO the worst thing imaginable on a long race. When I'm seriously fatigued (like three nights ago with the Full Moon Adventure race) I take a few tablets and no cramps, even after 17 hours on my feet.

• 2 months later...

:lol: :lol:

Yeah, What Would Jens Do?

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help with cramps, BUT, not that easy. Cramping toes on my road bike after about 70 - 80 km's! And it gets #$%^& painful! So painful I can't walk propoerly afterwards. I was thinking it might be my cleat setup, but I've checked it and it seems correct? So, PLEASE help, cause it just aint fun!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I need some help with cramps, BUT, not that easy. Cramping toes on my road bike after about 70 - 80 km's! And it gets #$%^& painful! So painful I can't walk propoerly afterwards. I was thinking it might be my cleat setup, but I've checked it and it seems correct? So, PLEASE help, cause it just aint fun!

sorry to say but if you checked it what did you check for get a proper fit.

they should check if you need arch support one cleat may need to be setback different to the other due to leg length, you made need a shim inside your shoe

check you strap tension to make sure your shoes are loose, sorry bud but leave it to the pro's its the best money spent. If you want to enjoy the ride get setup properly most importnt...

Brilliant. So simpletons like me can understand.

Train more

Drink water

Eat stuff.

Brilliant. I have hit the REPORT button (to alert a MOD) so that THE POWERS THAT BE can Sticky this to the top of the WorkHard&Eat page. thumbup1.gif

I like version your version of the subject. Much shorter and to the point.

Good article, but why not try "anti-cramp tablets". It obviously contains all the potassium, calcium, magnesium and whatever else is necessary to keep your body going, so no need for broccoli and cauliflower which is IMO the worst thing imaginable on a long race. When I'm seriously fatigued (like three nights ago with the Full Moon Adventure race) I take a few tablets and no cramps, even after 17 hours on my feet.

:lol: They mean you should include broccoli and cauliflower in your diet prior to the race, not cycle around with a back pocket full of smelly stuff wrapped in foil!

• 2 months later...

Enduren Cramp & Fatigue Buster tablets contains all the minerals required to prevent cramping and works amazingly well.