mad bout mtb

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@slick

What did you think of the teocali?

The Mongoose Teocali is great bike for those wanting to start out doing a little more hardcore riding and/or those on a budget - especially if you pick up a frame second hand. It will be a bargain. I picked up my 2009 frame brand new for R3.5k.

You realise just what a great frame this is the first time the trail points downhill. The bike is just so stable and forgiving - assisted by the slackish 69 degree head angle. It will take all the hits just like your more expensive boutique brands and at the same time it will mask your many rookie mistakes as you learn.

That is not to say that experienced riders won't get any enjoyment out of it. I never would have ridden it for so long if it wasn't a good ride. I tend to adapt my riding to the bike which means that because it is a little unresponsive I could really throw it around quite aggressively.

Its climbing is never going to be quick, especially with all that extra metal in the complex pivot set up. It is not a light frame and you can feel it when climbing. It makes steady progress and has excellent traction over technical rocky climbs. It is also not a bike which will accelerate quickly under power but once up to speed does tend to carry that momentum nicely through rough sections. Because the frame has a low centre of gravity cornering is sure footed and stable.

This bike does what you expect it to without any fuss and punches well above its weight in terms of value. It is a bike that you will grow with especially if you are a novice or a little nervous about AM riding.

The wife has a medium Teocali built up as a second trail bike and I have kept my large Teocali frame. I am going to build it up too because we tend to introduce many newbie riders into the sport. It helps to have some different size trail AM bikes in the stable to show them the difference in feel between XC and trail. So that assists them with bike buying decisions. I also use them in my skillz clinics where people pitch with inadequate bikes or they just want to experience a longer travel bike. Just doing my bit to convert MTBers to the dark side. :D

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd175/Seanf1art/general/bikes/Mongoose.jpg

This perspective looks bit 96er.

Edited by slick

After putting on the RS Reverb, converting the fork to a coil u-turn, getting my 34t spiderless chainring from HBC and mounting it onto the Middleburn crank and finally fitting my Phil Wood BB......

post-858-0-24826000-1338316038.jpg

post-858-0-07932800-1338316065.jpg

After putting on the RS Reverb, converting the fork to a coil u-turn, getting my 34t spiderless chainring from HBC and mounting it onto the Middleburn crank and finally fitting my Phil Wood BB......

post-858-0-24826000-1338316038.jpg

post-858-0-07932800-1338316065.jpg

Sweet looking Titus, nicely done :thumbup:

My Nukeproof Mega. :nuke: Very very happy! :clap:

Nice bike Paul - next upgrade, Reverb?

My Specialized Enduro

My first dual suspension and I absolutelt love it, even if its the worst bike climbing with, knowing how it descends is all the motivation i need getting to the top. Do however need to set up the fork a bit better but dont have a pump yet...

Heading to Cape Town in a few weeks so looking forward to giving it a proper working over in Tokai, havent been there for a few years now.

post-13500-0-29878800-1339099567.jpg

My new steed. She was finished yesterday in a rush to get out as it was a sunny day here in the UK. I still need to make some final tweeks and change a few components like the brakes from the current Avid XX to Formula The One's I have and shorten the shifter and brake lines to tidy up the front.

Not everyones colour but I am very happy.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8163/7354989010_6201cb4080_b.jpg

My new steed. She was finished yesterday in a rush to get out as it was a sunny day here in the UK. I still need to make some final tweeks and change a few components like the brakes from the current Avid XX to Formula The One's I have and shorten the shifter and brake lines to tidy up the front.

Not everyones colour but I am very happy.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8163/7354989010_6201cb4080_b.jpg

Wow, that is on sick machine!!! love the colour.