Carbon Wheelset advice

Audible Anarchy

If you dont want to chage the pads, then you going to need to get a rim like the Cosmics that also have an Alu braking surface. If you use the same pads on the Carbon Braking Surface, you will cook the rims and eat throught the carbon :thumbdown:. I found that changin the pads is such a quick job, max 5 mins to change a night before a race is NOT a big deal.

Get some with alu brake surface. Then you do not need to change pads everytime you change wheels.

Or get the Swissstop Yellow breakpads, then you can swop between carbon and alu without swapping break pads :thumbup:

I was very skeptical about this at first, I had images in my mind of small pieces of alu stuck in the break pads chowing the carbon tubbies to shreds. Out of paranoia, I check them often after the training wheelset has been on. No small pieces of alu anywhere :thumbup:

It turns out shimano break pads are *** and chows your alu wheels like sand paper. I will not use shimano break pads again.

Edited by Tankman

Long Short Story....just for you. :thumbup: :D

Lets do Tubbies:

• Light
  • Tyres get glued on
  • A tyre cost +- R700 and a BITCH putting them on with glue all over the place!
  • Can pump up to 11bar which makes it a bumpy ride but 'feels' faster
  • All Tubbie wheels have carbon brake surfaces
  • For your R10k you will look at second hand Zipps, Reynolds, Campag/Fulcrum, Enve
  • Weight per wheelset is typical 1.3kg

Clinchers

• Normal tyre fitment
  • Good racing tyre +- R400
  • 8.5bar
  • Punctures do not require a NEW tyre.......can be very costly riding with tubbies...
  • You have carbon brake surfaces on the new models of Zipp, Reynolds and Enve
  • Alu brake surface on the Mavic, Older Zipp, Reynolds
  • Weight is a little bit more with a typical Carbon clincher around 1.5 - 1.7kg (Lightweights 1kg ;) )

As for the brake pads....I use Swisstop Yellow. And I don't swing pads.....they work well on Alu and Carbon.

Just clean them before you switch wheels....there might be alu particles in the pads that can damage the carbon rims.

After a long and hard search I went for the Zipps:

post-25-0-19027400-1297068545.jpg

If I had the money today.......

I'd have a serious look at these ladies:

http://www.envecomposites.com/wheels/road/6.7.aspx

Good luck....enjoy!! The thrill is in the chase!!

Why would you want to upgrade to a Carbon rim if it weighs like 1.8kg?

Then I will rather stick to my 1.5kg aluminium rims....I see it this way, if you want to go carbon then go lighter as well....that is just my opinion especially since spending like R7k+

I am sure you get decent full carbon clinchers weighing around 1.5kg....but going to 1.8kg that's just a waste.

Edited by MTB_Roadie

Why would you want to upgrade to a Carbon rim if it weighs like 1.8kg?

Then I will rather stick to my 1.5kg aluminium rims....I see it this way, if you want to go carbon then go lighter as well....that is just my opinion especially since spending like R7k+

I am sure you get decent full carbon clinchers weighing around 1.5kg....but going to 1.8kg that's just a waste.

Aerodynamics.

yes I know that, but you do get deep section carbon clinchers weighing around 1.5kg...just think for the price of the Cosmic wheel sets I will look at a other carbon wheel set that is lighter and might even be cheaper.

Edited by MTB_Roadie

yes I know that, but you do get deep section carbon clinchers weighing around 1.5kg...just think for the price of the Cosmic wheel sets I will look at a other carbon wheel set that is lighter and might even be cheaper.

1.5kg = R15-R20k

His budget is R10k

But yes....lighter is better....always.

You do 50mm heavy only if:

• Aerodynamics are better
  • It LOOKS faster (Remember....we're not racers....it has to LOOK fast!! :thumbup: :rolleyes: :drool: )

Get hold of Peter Wheeler (Cape Town). Agent for Spinergy's (43mm carbon clinchers 1.695kg - R7500 NEW)

icycling1@gmail.com

Edited by DMC007

Consider Mavic Comic Carbones SR or prevoius model SLR.

They're great wheels, very fast and good looking stuff!!

Also, The Dura Ace C50's are great as well.

I have a set of DA7900 C35's, 35mm deep. They nice esp for Cpt where wind get hectic!

Show Off....LOL

Nice garden tho.

well the ksyriums weigh around 1700g (2011) - how much do the cosmics weigh? (ive always been a mavic fan,had heliums for years too).

another query - how do carbon wheels feel compared to alu? once i started riding a carbon framei noticed a hell of a difference ...

i guess what im asking is, why would i want to buy carbon wheels aside from weight? i understand the benefit of aero rims as ive had deep section rigida wheels in the past i used for racing on my old 7 speed back in the day.

sounds lie the swissstops are mean! i hate my shimano brake pads.

had a look at the mavic site - theyre all around the same weight as my ksyriums, and theyre only the equipes.(i think its only the ultimates that are sub 1.5kg?)

i guess aside from the aero factor - it would only be worth the buy if you were going with hardcore 10k+ wheelsets, so you could shave off at least 500g.

carbon wheels sure do look awesome though , hahaha

i guess what im asking is, why would i want to buy carbon wheels aside from weight?

Why do you want something if you don't even know why you want it?

hence the query on the forum... to find out why everyone wants carbon rims as an upgrade ;)

looks like the general consensus is for my budget at under 10k - something like the cosmics with the alu brake surface is the way to go.

what about going alu deep sections at a similar weight? also carbon vs alu hubs?