DIY - Morewood Shova ST Build

Chubba

Are these any good in 180mm?

Alligator-pizza-disc-rotor

Also need a 180mm adapter, anyone have one?

Adapter

If you find a 180mm adaptor, buy 2 please. I need one for my Reba. I'm running 160mm off a post mount, but I need 180mm. Brake mounting is post mount throughout, so I basically need a 160 to 180mm adaptor.

EDIT - The rotor looks kinda like a different version of the Avid Cleensweep. Looks like a reasonable rotor...

I'm running windcutters (well, I will be when I can find a 180mm adaptor)

Edited by cptmayhem

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Howzit Mayhem,

How much where they?

I figured that filing would be the only solution, so as you said, no point now that the frame has been resprayed.

Pretty simple to change the cables and housings, so when they feeling old ill just replace them.

The Boo Bars are 780mm, for R 450. I thought it was a pretty damn decent price!

Chubba, I got 750 bars on my Shova and they are sweet. Boarder line on wideness though.

As for your headset, thicker generally on the bottom. Just try jam some new thick grease on the bearing under the seals if you can. Get them running nice and smooth.

The sleeve you refer to slides down the steerer and wedges the top bearing in place before the top cap of the headset gets fitted over. Slide the sleeve down and rocker steerer back and forth so the sleeve works its way down nice and snug.

As for rotors 180 up front minimum. 160 or 180 out back, either or. I have 180 all round and the back end does break free more often than when I had 160 rear rotor.

Just bear in mind some Avids take 185 rotors and Hope sometimes 183.

Oh front derailer is bottom mount top pull. Seems to be the only one that fits my Shova anyway.

Keep the pictures coming, if you need help just PM to bounce ideas

Edited by MoreTrails

Oh PS. Chuck the semi integrated headset if you can and look at a Cane Creak item, like the 40 model. Worth every cent

You can listen to MORETRAILS advise, he is the reason I broke the Lapierre and got a Shova!

So Andrew you going to come and teach Darren some tips like you did me?

Oh PS. Chuck the semi integrated headset if you can and look at a Cane Creak item, like the 40 model. Worth every cent

Thanks MoreTrails - already got the Ritchey set. Can always change it at a later stage.

750mm is wide, how do you handle going through tight stuff?

Francis is 100% right, when do I get some lessons? Do I need knee pads? :)

Sure I can give you some tips - teach you to fall over too! :lol: :rolleyes: :D

Yeah 750's are wide, but smash that first rock garden in them and you feel the stability. But I rate you could still cut down till about 710 or so. Its all about choice and what suits YOU as a rider. Best advice is to buy slightly wider and buy lock-on grips like ODI's or such like. You can then tighten them in varied positions on the bars till you find out what fits best. Oh and when go ride, put some plastic end caps in the ends of the bar, you don't want to "apple core" a piece out your body!

As for knee pads, if you comfortable with all mountain riding already you should be ok, otherwise get a pair if it will make you feel more comfortable. They are so well made now-a-days that they are actually comfortable.

750's and the tight stuff - well thats part praying, part manual cross-up-ing, and moer of alot of dodging.

SO when we riding?

You can listen to MORETRAILS advise, he is the reason I broke the Lapierre and got a Shova!

So Andrew you going to come and teach Darren some tips like you did me?

STEYN, jou mooi ding! Hoe gaan dit? Long time boet, need to catch some trails some time soon.

You still having issues with your fork? I am about to self service my one, if you want I can take a looked at it at the same time....?

Edited by MoreTrails

Are these any good in 180mm?

Alligator-pizza-disc-rotor

Also need a 180mm adapter, anyone have one?

Adapter

Those rotors are cheeeeep!

Just check the size vs the brakes you using (i think I mentioned before...?? :blink: ) and check their thickness. Sometimes that is something that is quite critical, I have formula brakes and fitting new pads is a fakking chore cause all just doesn't quite fit....then there is lots of swearing and sanding down of new pads and grumpy person on the other end. YES, I know that changing the pads the night before a ride is dum...but what can I say!

Sure I can give you some tips - teach you to fall over too! :lol: :rolleyes: :D

Yeah 750's are wide, but smash that first rock garden in them and you feel the stability. But I rate you could still cut down till about 710 or so. Its all about choice and what suits YOU as a rider. Best advice is to buy slightly wider and buy lock-on grips like ODI's or such like. You can then tighten them in varied positions on the bars till you find out what fits best. Oh and when go ride, put some plastic end caps in the ends of the bar, you don't want to "apple core" a piece out your body!

As for knee pads, if you comfortable with all mountain riding already you should be ok, otherwise get a pair if it will make you feel more comfortable. They are so well made now-a-days that they are actually comfortable.

750's and the tight stuff - well thats part praying, part manual cross-up-ing, and moer of alot of dodging.

SO when we riding?

Still waiting for the fork to finish building the Shova so still riding my Zula. Will look for a 750 online. I want to learn to go fast and high! :clap:

Should be in tokai on Saturday or Sunday with Francis and some other guys. You riding this weekend?

STEYN, jou mooi ding! Hoe gaan dit? Long time boet, need to catch some trails some time soon.

You still having issues with your fork? I am about to self service my one, if you want I can take a looked at it at the same time....?

Got it sorted. He sent it in and had to get new stanchions. Cost him a good couple pennies.

Those rotors are cheeeeep!

Just check the size vs the brakes you using (i think I mentioned before...?? :blink: ) and check their thickness. Sometimes that is something that is quite critical, I have formula brakes and fitting new pads is a fakking chore cause all just doesn't quite fit....then there is lots of swearing and sanding down of new pads and grumpy person on the other end. YES, I know that changing the pads the night before a ride is dum...but what can I say!

As bad as changing your saddle the day before the argus? Me=****!

Got a set of 180mm Hope rotors and adapters instead. Hopefully they will fit the XT brakes.

Yeah should fit just fine.

I will try get to Tokia on sunday, we can kick some trails and kick Steyns ass...