Anyone up for a chalenge?

Kerneels

Guest Frail4Life

Finding a suitable route and good training program is to priority for now.

SUITABLE ROUTE.

TWO OPTIONS.

A. Route "48" Petrusburg onto De Aar & Britstown "10". Onto Three Sisters "12". N1 to Beaufort West. To Oudtshoorn "12". To Robertson "62". To Worcester "15". Du Toits Kloof pass to Paarl. To CT on Old Paarl road "101".

B.N1 to Colesberg. To Graaf- Reinet "61" onto Oudtshoorn "62". To Robertson "62", Worcester "15". Du Toits Kloof pass to Paarl. To CT on Old Paarl road "101".

FITNESS?

Are ANY of the Group NEW to cycling?

IS everyone a WEEKEND cyclist?

BASIC COMMITMENT.

Start COMMUTING.

Start slowly, just 5 /10km a day. 2/ 3 times a week. After a month increase your distances / amount of days per week.

Target is to be cycling everyday / every second day.

Target distance is 90km SOLO in 5 Hours/ 20km ave.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx all,

FRAIL thanx for the routes. We also thought about the De Aar Route, cause the Colesberg route is not in a good condition. And maybe from Three Sisters stay on the N1 to Worcester, Villiersdorp and we stay over in Gordons bay.

Do we need to get permission from the local government road agencies? :eek:

During the winter are weekend cyclists, we attend spinning classes during the winter, when the weather's better we usualy ride about 50k's every second morning. :rolleyes:

Guest Frail4Life

Thanx all,

FRAIL thanx.

Do we need to get permission from the local government road agencies? :eek:

YES, for groups. Contact the Towns Municipalities a month before you leave. Carry all Confirmation letters with you when cycling. Also the Traffic Offices.

As you will NOT be ENTERING Cape Town, to Gordons Bay. CT is not necessary.

Towns are just a Letter requesting permission to pass through. Traffic Office needs the Roads that you will use when travelling.

During the winter we are weekend cyclists, we attend spinning classes during the winter??? WINTER? I am still cycling / commuting 90KM/ day, 5 DAYS a week. :rolleyes:

Thanx, Found FRAIL and mailed him. Awaiting his reply.

Anyone else?

I cycled from Johannesburg to Capetown once, on a rigid with panniers. was a long time ago, when the burger sanlam was still a big-ish event.

i did it solo. the days get long and you'd crave some company.

i went in november; not a good time as there was galeforce winds in my face from kimberley almost all the way to cape town. panniers add a lot of wind resistance; fighting the wind is not fun.

the best part of the route was from beaufort west till oudtshoorn. i know i said don't go alone ... but i totally didn't mind cycling that bit alone, it's really pretty, very little traffic, and mountains all around you. the silence added to the greatness of that day.

the worst part of the route was from oudtshoorn to barrydale into a galeforce wind. actually only the last bit from ladismith - the first part was very scenic and the wind maybe wasn't as strong. the good part that day was that i looked so wasted, the hotel put me up in their honeymoon suite for a quarter of the price of a single room :)

there are advantages of riding solo: people are very curious and very friendly. For years afterwards i still had contacts with a group of cyclists whom i met outside a small town on their training ride - they brought all kinds of luxury items to the campsite and visited till late.

i took a sunseeker isodome, a 4-person tent - was the only one i had, but if i do this again, i'll definitely invest in a smaller lighter tent, or get buddies who can carry part of the tent.

i never felt unsafe. the first time that i felt a little bit uncomfortable was at the ultra city in worcester when a man in a bakkie kept on asking questions about where i'm going, what route, what time. Other than that, a very safe ride.

enjoy, take lots of photos - and come post them here!

Crazy if you ask me, but hey, who am I to comment. If you do go ahead with this crazy ride, enjoy and have lots of fun :thumbup:

Guest Frail4Life

Crazy if you ask me?

:thumbup:

CRAZY!

The only thing CRAZY is WHEN some TJOP tries to run you off the road.

OOPS. Sorry thats Town drivers.

CRAZY!

The only thing CRAZY is WHEN some TJOP tries to run you off the road.

OOPS. Sorry thats Town drivers.

and Crazy that some people think we're crazy

Hi Guys

I am keen to join if you take outsiders...........?????????????

Cheers

Cyclists in Bloem are welcome. :thumbup: We do need to train together

a few times to make sure everyone sticks to the training programme. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Edited by Kerneels

enjoy, take lots of photos - and come post them here!

I'll post the pic's. Looking forward to this trip. :w00t:

Guest Frail4Life

This is Bloemfontein. Morning Temp is -3

PLS Do NOT Remind me! MY FINGERS get NUMB just thinking about, When I cycled through last month.

PLS Do NOT Remind me! MY FINGERS get NUMB just thinking about, When I cycled through last month.

Next time let me know I will organise some coffee along the road.

Guest Frail4Life

Next time let me know I will organise some coffee along the road.

THANKS!

Water bottles CAN hold ANY liquid!!!

HA HA

I only refuelled @ SHELL ULTRAS with Fuel. Boilled H20.

Drinks only STAYED Hot for 30 MINS.

Edited by F_R_A_I_L

THANKS GUYS! for your Vote and Positive comments!!!

SLOWBEE

2NUTZ

SIRK

SLOW_ONE

LETURBO

HELLO FANS.

Who is this GUY/ GROUP?

Trying to ride in my TERRITORY?

I HAVE A REPUTATION TO UPHOLD.

I HAVE PAID ALOT IN BLOOD AND SWEAT FOR THESE ROADS.

ALL my Experiences come @ a COST, R....

Now I must leave, my Classic is waiting for its daily Torment.

No worries F_R_A_I_L , thanks for your inspiration to keep pushing , LOL think the guys/group was trying to get a week pass in your territory , for some blood and sweat payment to learn the unwritten rules of the road...from the ROADKING :clap:

NOT MADE LIKE THE ONES TODAY.

BOEREWORS & PAP!

NOT MADE IN "china".

LoL u def 1 of the last of a dying breed.Think they broke the mold,lighties wont have seen that ,asians neither :lol:

more power too you, F_R_A_I_L ftw..

post-20718-0-95967500-1311492687.jpg

Edited by 2nutz