All-mountain Biking Basics

Capricorn

I got 2 vids made by guys in sheep shaggy land also very good to watch a bit longer but also very detailed . Will have to see if i can upload

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the cornering section he says get ur knee on the frame which is fine, but those bikes with the shock under the top tube wouldnt that be hard to do? :unsure:

On the cornering section he says get ur knee on the frame which is fine, but those bikes with the shock under the top tube wouldnt that be hard to do? :unsure:

the knee is not necessarily pressing up against the frame Leet. The point is to orient your body such that leaning the bike is obtained while keeping your body fairly upright. You must PUSH the bike over, not lean your body out to the side. It's as DJR said: a bit counter intuitive at first, and frankly, it feels like you gonna bail, but those side knobs come into their own. It's the fastest way around just about any corner: bermed, flat or off cambered.

Now how does this compare with other techniques discussed here such as putting your weight forward?

Please does anyone know the title of that vid? going to try source it legit.

If you feel the front sliding out, you gots to lean to get traction back. Sometimes, putting the bike down only goes so far, especially on very steeply inclined off cambers. If you going at speed, you got to lean a bit further foreward to maintain front wheel traction, and thus steering capability. I know they say when it goes down, get back. But there is such a thing as too far back. I wont say you must be over the bars, but your weight has to be more centered, and thus foward biased relative to the center of gravity of the bike on a steep incline. Same applies to the cornering. and it takes guts.

as for legitimate sources, I'm sorry gents: not going to happen at this time. Apparently the video comes off a DVD distributed with an overseas magazine, Mountain Biking UK. I reckon the copyright scythe is being wielded, hence the video disappearing off the interwebs.

There is a torrent available, and it's over 2GB.

oh crap, my supper's burning...

Edited by Capricorn

For anyone who wants another legit way of getting supreme mtb advice (XC, FR, Dh etc) then you can't go wrong with Brian Lopes & Lee McCormack's Mountain Biking Skills (Version 1 OR 2)

Brian is a DH & mex legend, and Lee McCormack is a professional MTB coach. It's VERY easy to follow, and has lots of shiny pitchers to keep you interested.

yep, got the Brian Lopes and Lee McCormack book at Exclusive books. Has the same cornering technique, but it's more fun to watch it on video!

Watch out for DJR on the trails.. on Wednesday he is going for the ultimate upgrade - Bionic collarbone..

CAUTION ALL. The sunny weather is deceiving! Keep in mind the rain, which seems like a distant memory, has exposed a lot of off-camber roots which could have an affect on your AM training regimen. (back on topic).

PoS out!

Cap is that overseas mag available locally and if so which one is it?

It is available in some branhes of Exclusive Books - It's MBUKL or Mountin Biking UK for the full title. I think the Constantia Village one stocks it, while the Anal Walk & Cavendish ones do not. Stockability depends on the store's own policy. If it sells, they keep it. If not, well then...

Watch out for DJR on the trails.. on Wednesday he is going for the ultimate upgrade - Bionic collarbone..

CAUTION ALL. The sunny weather is deceiving! Keep in mind the rain, which seems like a distant memory, has exposed a lot of off-camber roots which could have an affect on your AM training regimen. (back on topic).

PoS out!

Bionic man coming up!

Heal quick, DJR... See you back on the trails very soon!

There is a torrent availableand it's over 2GB.

2.8Gb to be exact, tried to download it but my cap told me to piss off!

It is available in some branhes of Exclusive Books - It's MBUKL or Mountin Biking UK for the full title. I think the Constantia Village one stocks it, while the Anal Walk & Cavendish ones do not. Stockability depends on the store's own policy. If it sells, they keep it. If not, well then...

shot cptmayhem will pop around to the cna after work and see if the have it.

PoS out!

Eish now there are 2 of us ;)

Hey guys,

FYI, got this Mountain Biking UK magazine at Exclusive books Cresta for R99. Video looks awesome, but I haven't had time to see more than 5 min. Dam, magazines over seas are so much better than ours.