Race Organisers - I Hate You!!!!

LukeV-2

Also don't forget, things cost a lot less back in the days - all relative to what you were earning . That applies across the board( food, bike parts etc etc) Bikes were also not as sofisticated so maintaining them cost less hence we had more disposable income . Maybe part- time work just cannot get you what it did in the "good 'ol days"

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been on odd thread. Kinda like the olde "when I was young I walked 100km to school bare foot in the snow and it was uphill both ways the roads were covered in broken glass" grandpa style lecture.

So a kid is keen to race, hasn't got the cash and made an emotional out burst to exress his view? All and sundry jump on his head and tell him that suffering is the only true path to elightenment? What? Of course all of us were the pinnacle of maturity when we were young and debated everything from a centre of logic and reason...c'mon okes. Methinks some slack is in order here.

Ironically I think he has a point - many institutions offer student discounts - why not bicycle races? Personally I think scholar and student discounts might help feed the sport. It will certainly add some zing to the current school mtb series and the intervarsity piss up stage race.

For the doc and the other interested party - here is a really bad pic of Black Betty - she's a GT3000 VR4 that was recently given a review totalling two words by my neighbour - those words were "HERE F*K!!" as the boost came on :D If you wanna see more turbo charged japanese exotica drop me a PM.

Eish... that will kick my cars' buts. Very nice! I am more into the classics though...Alfa Spiders, MG A, Range Rover Classic, that sort of thing.

while i feel your pain re: costs involved in cycling as a student, and thats its tough to afford all the race fees ,petrol etc... i agree 100% with the other posts that if you love it enough, you will make a plan!

you dont have to race every weekend - also you can save that R300 by spending one night less at the pub!

The thing is beer is so expensive nowadays that you can't afford food.

I would like to mention something else. Last weekend I did the mtb race in Plett. I crashed and broke my ankle. The medical backup were done buy NSRI. I can't thank those guys enough for the good care. The race fee were only R90, including a goody bag. I have entered races before, where you have to sign an indemnity form. That means you won't hold the organisers responsible for any personal injuries or damage to equipment.Afterwards you find out that there were no qualified medics on route , but only a Dr "on call". If we can't be guaranteed proper medical care,the race should not be hold. We tend too say the Cape Epic is expensive. Bear in mind there are 2 orthopaedic surgeons, medical doctors on route,numerous medics, helivac and other medical fasilities available, then it is not that expensive.

Good Grief.

10 pages of this cold gravel before anyone put up a Monty sketch. <_<

Time for brekka....

jirre that is a big wing ekse...did you put it on or is it standard :o

Yeah - than restoration my done during my "Jack Parow" years when radical was more important than style. I have matured since then I promise.

Betty still sits in my garage as a reminder of my mispent youth :D

Yeah - than restoration my done during my "Jack Parow" years when radical was more important than style. I have matured since then I promise.

Betty still sits in my garage as a reminder of my mispent youth :D

:D :D :D

Every guy here wishes he could take betty for a spin I can guarantee you that

Good Grief.

10 pages of this cold gravel before anyone put up a Monty sketch. <_<

Time for brekka....

Actually, Edman posted it about four or five pages back: Monty

I'm not going to troll through all of this, but i do see that the point has been made that offering student entry fees at races could be a good idea. The best plan would be for it all to go through the varsity clubs, to limit the freeloaders and help it look official.

What's stopping any race organiser from calling up the local varsity(or school) club with 5 complementary entries? Hardly being subsidised by paying entrants, as the incremental cost of an extra entrant is quite small.

AFAIK the only thing CSA does at the level is stamp their approval of the annual SASSU tour.

but it looks like most of you got wound up attacking a shortsighted first post. Fruity, I think you handled the broadsided shots pretty well. touche. now go and join the wits cycling club.

:D :D :D

Every guy here wishes he could take betty for a spin I can guarantee you that

Anybody who has a PS2 or 3 has driven Betty. The feel on the Playstation is identical to the real thing - right down to the engine noise (ok Betty is a bit more wooshy thanks to her upgrades). Them japanese are smart fellers...

A student can only get a job if they are studying something silly like a BA or something.

All students have student cards, one would just need to present that, and yes i have seen how the races are organised "from the other side" and i know that the rate can be cheaper.

I have no time for a student job, even in the holidays we get projects.

The times are changing.

Entering the Dusi, a 3 day canoe race from PMB to DBn, is only like R300 for students, if that, it is far more worthwhile and the price is justified. You get food, beer, powerade, t shirts, thousands of free samples, amazing girls to welcome you at the end and a prepared route like none other.

CSA has to wake up in life, and the race organisers.

Best you start paddling then.

Student job!!! Use it dont use it.. Just a thought!!! If you love the sport you will find a way to afford it! :clap:

Agreed, there seems to be a mentality of : This is unfair, someone will have to look out for me...

Personally I handpicked a number of races annually and only did those, simply because I thought the cost of races became ridiculous.

Like Mark Cavendish said - I don't race **** races (or something to that tune)when asked about his number of wins