"Did You Know That...??"

'Dale

Just a question, but with some of the things (cycling related) posted here, did you guys really not know simple things like Lance was a triathlete, and the length of a track?

Just curious...

new about lance, but didnt know the length of a track.

Are their any specific rules governing track length distances ?

As an aside, what is the longest that someone has done a trackstand at the start of a pro race ?

what is the shortest distance they race on track ? (whats the slowest this has ever taken considering the tactical advantage they play at the begining of a race?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmph!

Now that's interesting trivia. :thumbup:

Something along the lines of, Joe Montgomery went to look for a phone to call a supplier about a delivery and when they asked what the name of the Company was, he looked around and saw the sation sign and said "Cannondale" The rest is history.

That if baby sister shleck was an item of clothing she would be a frilly, pink, crimpolene, queens blouse .... :lol:

in what year were riders formally allowe to be in teams for the tour ?

here's the highlights:

The first tours were for individual riders only, with teamates expressly forbidden to pace one another.

Early experiments also had editions of the tour run as team time trials for the entire event, as in each stage was a TTT.

The first Tours were for individuals and members of sponsored teams. There were two classes of race, one for the aces, the other for the rest, with different rules. By the end of the 1920s, however, Desgrange believed he could not beat what he believed were the underhand tactics of bike factories. When the Alcyon team contrived to get Maurice De Waele to win even though he was sick, he said "My race has been won by a corpse" and in 1930 admitted only teams representing their country or region

National teams contested the Tour until 1961. The teams were of different sizes. Some nations had more than one team and some were mixed in with others to make up the number. National teams caught the public imagination but had a snag: that riders might normally have been in rival trade teams the rest of the season. The loyalty of riders was sometimes questionable, within and between teams.

The Tour returned to trade teams in 1962, although with further problems. Doping had become a problem and tests were introduced for riders. Riders went on strike near Bordeaux in 1966 and the organisers suspected sponsors provoked them. The Tour returned to national teams for 1967 and 1968 as "an experiment". The author Geoffrey Nicholson identified a further reason: opposition to closure of roads by a race criticised as crassly commercial. He said:

What the Tour did to placate the opposition in 1967 was to play the patriotic card. It scrapped trade teams in favour of national teams ... since a contest between squads in French and Belgian colours would appear less blatantly commercial than one between Ford-France-Gitane and Flandria-Romeo. 'It was being done,' said L'Équipe, the voice of the Tour, 'in response to the noble and superior interests of the race, to the wishes of the public and the desires of the public authorities.'

The sponsors had to accept the change, but did so with ill-grace. The new arrangement, they argued, was basically unfair: they paid the riders' salaries all summer only to be denied publicity from the season's major event. They also pointed to the danger of collusion between trade-team colleagues of different nationalities ... Indeed loyalties were put under so much strain that the experiment was dropped after only two seasons.

The Tour returned to trade teams in 1969 with a suggestion that national teams could come back every few years. This never happened.

Get the rest ya own self.

Edited by TNT1

new about lance, but didnt know the length of a track.

Are their any specific rules governing track length distances ?

As an aside, what is the longest that someone has done a trackstand at the start of a pro race ?

what is the shortest distance they race on track ? (whats the slowest this has ever taken considering the tactical advantage they play at the begining of a race?

There don't appear to be regulations governing track length. The modern standard has gravitated to 250m as this makes all races a set number of laps and it's easier, and cheaper to cover a 250m track as many of the European tracks are covered for weather conditions. As mentioned previously, the track at the UCI hq in Aigle, Switzerland is 200 metres long - why? No one could tell me.

In the old days (present day for Jo'burg riders) riding metric distances on a track built to imperial specifications meant starting at odd positions around the track to ensure that the race finished at the finish line. The old 500 yard track equates to 457 mteres and was designed to fit around the outside of a playing field and athletics track. There is still evidence of the old running track on the inside of Hector Norris park in JHB.

Regarding trackstands, I am not sure of the record, but they used to go on for a looong time in the old days. These days a track stand is limited (I'm not sure of the exact time allowable; I was never a sprinter) but an official will start a stopwatch when a rider starts a trackstand.

Shortest race is the 200 metre sprint. Not sure if record has been kept of the slowest time (although I can think of a few candidates).

:)

... SRAM is an acronym comprising the names of its founders, Scott, Ray, and Sam, (where Ray is the middle name of company head Stan Day)

Phew ,pleased it wasn't started by Scott, Harry, Imraan and Tommy.

Nice one. Your talent is wasted cutting meat...

...that, at age 34, Cadel Eans is the oldest rider to win the glorious Tour de France since the 2nd World War...

:thumbup:

... It is the first time that two brothers stepped onto the Tour de France podium:

Andy and Frank Schleck, 2012

Edited by AirBender