TOKAI: DH Build day - Day 2

(Deon)

You guys just dont get it!

Think you all have fallen on ur heads too much while doing ur DH thing.... :blink:

I would help when it is Tokai (NO DH) Trail maintenance (Jeep track, single track, etc)

OH WAIT..................JEEP TRACK & NORMAL SINGLE TRACK DON`T NEED MAINTENANCE!!! :thumbup:

Edited by david16v

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

OH WAIT..................JEEP TRACK & NORMAL SINGLE TRACK DON`T NEED MAINTENANCE!!! :thumbup:

They do need maintenance. You've just never done any of it.

I've done maintenance on the snake trails. Mamba, boomslang etc, the xc divert off vasbyt. Those are all xc trails. They all need maintenance.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

You guys just dont get it!

Think you all have fallen on ur heads too much while doing ur DH thing.... :blink:

Funny thing is. The ambulances seem to go up the hill a LOT more often for Lycra Leon than for DH guys.

And why do you list your bike specs? No-one cares.

Edited by Omega Man

The percentages lend itself more towards the lycra clad injuries being higher than armoured DH's.

I want to know why this is even a debate? What difference does it make if you ride 100mm or 200mm, it is still a mountain bike, each group does something better than the other. Gotta love diversity, like on a build day when XC rubs shoulders with DH, on all tracks!

David, you might learn something to improve your riding? C'mon!

Edited by Pain or Shine

No category is better than the other (DH vs XC, etc)

Funny thing is. The ambulances seem to go up the hill a LOT more often for Lycra Leon than for DH guys.

Thats simple to answer......ratio of XC riders vs DH are a lot greater! Or XC riders have more balls! :clap:

Most of the single tracks above the main hill (without man made jumps parallel to single track) are in a bad way. Eroding on several corners, roots becoming exposed, very sandy...............but I keep riding these as XC trails erode and become more and more challenging to ride up!! :thumbup:

Whereas DH trails need constant upkeep due to the lips/jumps eroding.

That is why you will see most of the posts in/under `TRAIL MAINTENANCE` are from the DH guys talking about which berms and jumps have eroded, etc, etc.

Its always the same guys, all DH`ers

Capricorn (the troll lover)

Pain or Shine

grb285 (the lycra lover & topic locker)

Guest Omega Man

Thats simple to answer......ratio of XC riders vs DH are a lot greater! Or XC riders have more balls! :clap:

Most of the single tracks above the main hill (without man made jumps parallel to single track) are in a bad way. Eroding on several corners, roots becoming exposed, very sandy...............but I keep riding these as XC trails erode and become more and more challenging to ride up!! :thumbup:

That is why you will see most of the posts in/under `TRAIL MAINTENANCE` are from the DH guys talking about which berms and jumps have eroded, etc, etc.

Pain or Shine

I'm sure you aren't in real life but I must say you really seem like a massive d!ck.

I'm sure you aren't in real life but I must say you really seem like a massive d!ck.

Probably because I wear lycra! Or because I aint a DH`er!

I'll put time in on the 600m that I ride.

Quoted by you on 4 April 2011.

I have said in several older posts that I will get involved when we do solely XC routes.

My personal opinion buddy!

Truth is there are so many riders in Tokai & probably only 50% use the hub.

So think how many cyclists are just riding in Tokai and dont care about Trail Maintenance or otherwise known by you guys as DH maintenance.

Edited by david16v

Guest Omega Man

Why? Because I aint a DH`er??

My personal opinion buddy!

Truth is there are so many riders in Tokai & probably only 50% use the hub.

So think how many cyclists are just riding in Tokai and dont care about Trail Maintenance or otherwise known by you guys as DH maintenance.

Dude. The trails at Tokai DO need maintenance. All of them. You think those little bridges on the fairy garden got there by erosion? The fact that they don't get enough maintenance is slowly being rectified by Pain or Shine. So please be nice to him. It just happens that the current emphasis is on a divert on the DH trail. But not too long ago the same people that you are being disparaging about made additions to a section of xc track that was un-rideable.

And yes. It is your right to not do trail maintenance. We all understand that time is precious. But at least have the manners to treat the people who maintain the trails that you ride on (yes the xc ones too) with a little respect.

Edited by Omega Man

Dude. The trails at Tokai DO need maintenance. All of them. You think those little bridges on the fairy garden got there by erosion? The fact that they don't get enough maintenance is slowly being rectified by Pain or Shine. So please be nice to him. It just happens that the current emphasis is on a divert on the DH trail. But not too long ago the same people that you are being disparaging about made additions to a section of xc track that was un-rideable.

And yes. It is your right to not do trail maintenance. We all understand that time is precious. But at least have the manners to treat the people who maintain the trails that you ride on (yes the xc ones too) with a little respect.

I`ve posted before that I commend the work getting done but if you take a step back as a `new` hubber and looked under the routes & trails topic, Tokai Maintenance, its all focused on DH.

Maybe when they do work in Tokai they should take a before and after photo explaining what was/has been done. Trails get confused by so many people and some cyclists have different names for them. A proper map and pictures of the start of the different single tracks/DH trails could be attached.

There should be a `plan/programme` in place as to which trails are next on the list. Not something that gets decided the same week as the maintenance. :blink:

Edited by david16v

Guest Omega Man

I`ve posted before that I commend the work getting done but if you take a step back as a `new` hubber and looked under the routes & trails topic, Tokai Maintenance, its all focused on DH.

Maybe when they do work in Tokai they should take a before and after photo explaining what was/has been done. Trails get confused by so many people and some cyclists have different names for them. A proper map and pictures of the start of the different single tracks/DH trails could be attached.

There should be a `plan/programme` in place as to which trails are next on the list. Not something that gets decided the same week as the maintenance. :blink:

Like I said. The current focus is the DH trail but that's just the start. There will be more trail maintenance and extensions in the future. This is all being spearheaded by Deon (Pain or Shine).

Their is no "they" it's us. The us includes you and everyone who utilizes Tokai.

As far as your plan/program comment. You have been invited to get involved. If you have plans or ideas please. Get involved. Their are no professionals involved in the trail maintenance at Tokai. Just enthusiastic Mountain Bikers. Just like you.

Pain or Shine

Oh. My. ****.

Dude - seriously. Take a fkn chill pill, for g0d's sake.

What have we said, time and again. What have I said, time and again.

Work was done on Faerie Garden. Maintenance & erosion control. Blockage of that divert that YOU rode, and you admit this yourself, because you couldn't negotiate a 5cm deep puddle, or the 10cm high roots that lighties on their 20" MTB's can negotiate with ease. Shame.

Work was done on the bottom end of Vasbyt. Clearing alien vegetation. Erosion control. Clearing all the mud that had gathered after the rains. Creating water channels. Taking away that nasty barbed wire fence, and putting in a berm so that the transition through the corner was smoother, and more entertaining. Massive root removal.

Work was done on the divert on Vasbyt, where you are supposed to ride up instead of riding up the top berm & rooted section which is DH only. This section (the divert) was unrideable for the majority of riders in Tokai. Therefore, it needed to be re-cut and enhanced in order to make it a viable divert.

Work was done on the DH section - just 150m (at most) worth of divert / new trail.

How the F*** do you presume that we (the volunteers) work ONLY on DH track? FFS bro - get rid of that big-arse chip on your shoulder, and HELP us one time. Otherwise, STFU and stop posting inflammatory remarks, designed to irritate the few people who actually CONTRIBUTE to the upkeep of Tokai as an MTB destination.

For F*** sake - Grow the **** up.

Edited by cptmayhem

Wow, I disappear for a day and David is pissing everyone off again. David, the guys are doing excellent work, and they're nice guys to boot. Sheesh, stop nagging!

Oh, and Cap, you're nuts - MORE bumps? We don't all have almost 10 inches of travel :P

As a trail builder myself, I wish you guys all the best with the trail upgrade/maintenance. And just ignore the people complaining about ****...they just looking for attention. Rather stay focused and use the energy to build kick ass trails! Otherwise chase them with spades.

The Paarl locals (xc and dh) know where to ride and how to respect each other. Just remember that you all share the same epic turf. I would not like to know what it would be like if Tokai dont exist anymore...think about it, it can happen. You guys have a special place to ride! Respect the architect.

Wow, I disappear for a day and David is pissing everyone off again. David, the guys are doing excellent work, and they're nice guys to boot. Sheesh, stop nagging!

Oh, and Cap, you're nuts - MORE bumps? We don't all have almost 10 inches of travel :P

.. nuts, bumps and 10 inches LOL :lol:

Edited by Capricorn

damn i only have 6 inches :blush:

i think i may have to visit this tokai place one day if i ever road trip down that side from durbs