PRODUX bikes

MTBmofo

Produx bikes, made in South Africa, i'd never heard of them. My boet just bought one, its called a sidewinder, really old, but has a rear shock (air shock that i pumped up to 120psi) that still works - somewhat!

I remember those! A friend had one, I think he got it from the MSC guys.

Man, back in the day it was the dogs bollocks (for what I can remember).

What ever happened to Produx?

Really old. They were in the '90s. You still get some road frames but they now dot carbon parts for motorbikes. They use to be up here in JHB but I think they've move to Slaapstad.

They did export a few alu bikes to Europe and were sold under a different brand.They did a few carbon bikes a while back.

Wow , i had a sidewinder in 95 i think it was, still won SA cross-country champs on it . they where great in there day , heavy as ****! but did the job.

Think Produx is in CA only making road frames , not sure though.

Rear shock used to look like a baked bean can with the label removed if I recall. Ugly bastards, but not bad for their time I think.

They also made their own sus forks. But those were the days of elastomer forks.

Had some of those too , replaced elastomers after every race as they use to split open ( tech was not as good as it it now hay )

Donald still made bikes up until 2007/2008 here in cape town. I think he is now doing carbon parts for motorbikes.

I bought a road bike from him around 2007. It's now for sale if anyone wants it. Aluminium frame with carbon fork and ultegra components. Size 50 for around R5000. Needs a new bottom bracket though but otherwise all good.

• 7 years later...

and just like that WOW!!!

http://web.archive.org/web/20070204044029im_/http://www.produx.co.za:80/Photos/Carbon-Web-Small.jpg

I'll let you tjaainas work out the rest