Riding up the tokai dh track . Again.

jimmy hardtail

According to pain or shine permission has been granted to install one way signs from below the berm up. Dont know where the signs are coming from though. Till then just watch out for david 16v and co cause they must be right. At least they ride down the road so as not to block the singletrack too much. Dirt roadies as the editor of tread mag calls them. Ha ha.

I'm keeping an eye out for an '09 Giant Anthem X, SID Race 09 Fork, Cervino Tubeless wheels with a rider carrying a heeeeuge chip on his shoulder. I hope to spot David going down the DH though. Keep an eye out boys.

The more I think about it, the more I'm loving this idea of cycle shops sponsoring the signs. Thoughts?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimmy - why don't you put up some sign boards? I'll happily donate R100 for the effort - it will be worth it just to not see these threads any more!

I may even come to CT one day and ride these famed one way courses.

For a R100 bucks I can make Jimmy vanish...Damn, I will even vanish...I'm easy! Can I pm you my banking details? ;)

Jeez you's can whine! The roadies on thehubsa are all sniggering saying "devide and conquer!"

Its simple. If there is a no entry sign, you have the right to tell people to respect the signage on the trail. If there is no sign, warn people in a nice way that DH riders are using the trail at high speed.

The only real solution is private management of the trails at Tokai, but this would mean that we each are going to pay R50 a ride. SANPARKS / Cape Nature simply don't have the means or the inclination to run the trails like a business.

Just out of interest. Who will rather pay R50 a ride at Tokai and get reasonably well maintained trails, a proper website with updated info on the routes, proper signage, grading of single track trails etc?

Hey morewood mad. All the things you mentioned are in the pipeline. It just takes time. Trail maintenance is done by volunteers who actually spend their own money on materials , transport etc. Signage coming soon i think. Till then ride safe.

Guest Omega Man

Just out of interest. Who will rather pay R50 a ride at Tokai and get reasonably well maintained trails, a proper website with updated info on the routes, proper signage, grading of single track trails etc?

I'd happily pay that. Currently you pay R30 to Sanparks to use the trails if you don't have a wildcard. A wildcard costs R280. I renewed mine yesterday.

According to the dudes at the gate 1200 riders use Tokai on a weekend. I'd guess about half of them have wildcards. So. If they raised the price of a wildcard to say R500 and raised the price of entry to R50 for non wildcards and used that for trail maintenance and upgrades that would be AT LEAST R600k per year for new trails and maintenance.

Presuming of course that it would ACTUALLY be used for maintenance and not be swallowed up by the usual SA black hole of corruption and incompetence.

I'd happily pay that. Currently you pay R30 to Sanparks to use the trails if you don't have a wildcard. A wildcard costs R280. I renewed mine yesterday.

According to the dudes at the gate 1200 riders use Tokai on a weekend. I'd guess about half of them have wildcards. So. If they raised the price of a wildcard to say R500 and raised the price of entry to R50 for non wildcards and used that for trail maintenance and upgrades that would be AT LEAST R600k per year for new trails and maintenance.

Presuming of course that it would ACTUALLY be used for maintenance and not be swallowed up by the usual SA black hole of corruption and incompetence.

That is probably the dumbest thing I ever heard....then I will rather go cycle somewhere else cause I don't need to pay for one-way signs since you DH people have a attitude due to not being able to cycle up a single track, we don't complain if we cycle down the Jeep Track and all of you are walking up taking over the whole road....they hardly do anything about the trails already...where is the current money going? So rather build your own DH trails as some XC races that is single track requires climbing, and the single track at Tokai is perfect for training going up or going down...normally when there is DH races at Tokai we always give you guys right of way....

Edited by MTB_Roadie

Guest Omega Man

then I will rather go cycle somewhere else

K bi.

haha! Let me guess, you are the guy with the big mouth who always finishes last in DH races or that is if you even do competitions....we use the ENTIRE Tokai forest, not just one or two single tracks...and at Die Burger race my girlfriend was doing the 15km....some downhill people came past, one had a Smurf outfit swearing at everyone to stay out his way....What a chop..anyway....I dont see the point aying R50 entry for the signage for you guys as there are like....10-20 of you guys? where there is loads of normal MTBikers who contribute way more....otherwise go build trails there on the side just for your DH training...

Edited by MTB_Roadie

That is probably the dumbest thing I ever heard....then I will rather go cycle somewhere else

See ya!

cause I don't need to pay for one-way signs since you DH people have a attitude due to not being able to cycle up a single track

Sigh. It's so tiring having to explain this ALL the time. There are k's of singletrack all over Tokai. There are 600 meters of DH. The downhill is for everyone! You too. It's just safer to have it unidirectional. Get it now?

we don't complain if we cycle down the Jeep Track and all of you are walking up taking over the whole road

You have some issues dude. Seriously? Over the whole road hey! hahahaa. These are the faceplanters I see all the time. You ride down the jeeptrack hey?!! hahaa. Maybe you should be less obnoxious and watch and learn a bit how to ride technical descents.

they hardly do anything about the trails already...where is the current money going? So rather build your own DH trails as some XC races that is single track requires climbing, and the single track at Tokai is perfect for training going up or going down...normally when there is DH races at Tokai we always give you guys right of way....

So, roadie, you selfishly want to have ALL the trails to ride up then? We know that XC has hills. Why do you NEED to HAVE TO HAVE the DH lines too? What about those who want to ride the downhill safely without you and your bum cream warrior friends stuffing up the berms, the lips of the booters and being in dangerous places? WHY??

Some people are seriously obtuse.

Edited by grb285

Guest Omega Man

since you DH people have a attitude due to not being able to cycle up a single track,

I Can ride up single track just fine. I can also ride down the downhill just fine too. The reason most downhillers choose to push up the hill is so that they are nice and fresh when they get to the top of the trail to go down fast.

Also. the gearing, geometry and weight of the bikes makes them very difficult to ride uphill. Hence the term Downhill bike.

Guest Omega Man

they hardly do anything about the trails already...where is the current money going?

There is a group of volunteers that generally do trail maintenance at Tokai. I'm one of the many that do try and help from time to time. You should come and get involved. There's a nice group of guys that do it. It sucks that Sanparks don't maintain the trails but hey.

The money you pay goes to Sanparks. It's their land. Think of the R30 as a cover charge.

I Can ride up single track just fine. I can also ride down the downhill just fine too. The reason most downhillers choose to push up the hill is so that they are nice and fresh when they get to the top of the trail to go down fast.

Also. the gearing, geometry and weight of the bikes makes them very difficult to ride uphill. Hence the term Downhill bike.

Omega, seriously, lets not waste energy and get riled up by this roadie. Maybe his bum cream went sour. Who knows?

Guest Omega Man

and at Die Burger race my girlfriend was doing the 15km.

Edited by Omega Man

See ya!

Sigh. It's so tiring having to explain this ALL the time. There are k's of singletrack all over Tokai. There are 600 meters of DH. The downhill is for everyone! You too. It's just safer to have it unidirectional. Get it now?

What I am trying to say some people use it for training in different ways so not everyone wants to go downhill all the time....

You have some issues dude. Seriously? Over the whole road hey! hahahaa. These are the faceplanters I see all the time. You ride down the jeeptrack hey?!! hahaa. Maybe you should be less obnoxious and watch and learn a bit how to ride technical descents.

I can do technical descents, I use the single track both ways....

So, roadie, you selfishly want to have ALL the trails to ride up then? We know that XC has hills. Why do you NEED to HAVE TO HAVE the DH lines too? What about those who want to ride the downhill safely without you and your bum cream warrior friends stuffing up the berms, the lips of the booters and being in dangerous places? WHY??

There is some DH tracks there, so I dont use them....but that one on your left as you go up is nice for everyone to use....

Some people are seriously obtuse.

I even spotted some DH people pushing up single track...so whats up with that?

This is one of those debates that won't go anywhere....in the end it will come down respect all riders as you will like to be respected....stay left....that way if someone come up and you come dwn you won't crash....

Edited by MTB_Roadie

If you have to pay for sex she's not your girlfriend....

I wont even comment

Edited by MTB_Roadie