Riding up the tokai dh track . Again.

jimmy hardtail

Omega, seriously, lets not waste energy and get riled up by this roadie. Maybe his bum cream went sour. Who knows?

how lame...

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right all dh riders. How about a little fun ride next sunday morning. We can race down the snake trails full blast. And then head over to the switchbacks for a couple of dh runs cos it is actually longer than the dh track while the xc guys ride up " our" dh track. No prizes for guessing who will have more fun. Actually that sounds like a good idea. I am gonna do that sunday morning 7 am start.

Guest Omega Man

This is one of those debates that won't go anywhere....in the end it will come down respect all riders as you will like to be respected....stay left....that way if someone come up and you come dwn you won't crash....

So you've thrown your insults around and now you want to close the subject? can I throw a few insults at you?

Downhillers don't call you softc0ck because you ride down the road. They don't call you f@g because you ride around the tiniest little jump.

Edited by Omega Man

That is probably the dumbest thing I ever heard....then I will rather go cycle somewhere else cause I don't need to pay for one-way signs since you DH people have a attitude due to not being able to cycle up a single track, we don't complain if we cycle down the Jeep Track and all of you are walking up taking over the whole road....they hardly do anything about the trails already...where is the current money going? So rather build your own DH trails as some XC races that is single track requires climbing, and the single track at Tokai is perfect for training going up or going down...normally when there is DH races at Tokai we always give you guys right of way....

HAHHAHA I think i'll just return the "That is probably the dumbest thing I ever heard" comment straight back at you! ...

1. Most if not ALL trails in South Africa are built by Volunteers!!! Build Days are held and ordinary riders are asked to come participate. (Few ever do come though and its generally the DH guys who actually get out there and build trails)

2. The HUGE sum of R30 you pay for riding there most likely goes to admin! You think of Karkloof and Howick ... there you also have to get a day licence for about 30 bucks and that goes somewhat towards trail maintanence but mainly to the land owners for A. allowing us access! and B. all their admin for indemnities etc.

3. If you are too much a scrouge to pay an extra 20 bucks to go and ride on AMAZING mtb trails then i suggest that you sell your mtb and go back to road riding where you can ride uninhibited anywhere you like and still complain that your tax money is not going to road upkeep etc. You have to remember that it costs money to build and maintain trails and they dont just MAGICALLY appear for you to ride. So if you have to pay a bit more to ride well maintained and signed trails you shouldnt complain! Go to any Mtb Park overseas and see their entry fees ... WHY?? Cus the trails are well marked and well maintained and that costs money!

4. How do you know that Downhill 5 - 6 and that Berm section below it were not built BY DH riders to be ridden down? You profoundly say "GO BUILD YOUR OWN TRAILS" ... well if a trail has BERMS, JUMPS and DROPS in it it is A. generally designed to go one direction, B. most probably built by DH riders ...

5. Yes i agree that some races do have uphill singletrack and therefore you need to hone your skills for this ... And therefore I suggest that you get a bunch of your UPHILL mates and go have a BUILD DAY to build some sweet tech UPHILL singletrack at tokai that link you to Boulders etc. There is infinate possibilities there ... so instead of Bad mouthing the guys who actually get off their arses and go build the trails ... pick up a spade and go HELP by building some trails up the hill!

Edited by nigelhicks

haha.....legendary names! I just laugh people like you off....you havn't done a jump if you don't do the jumps at Gumtrails or a place with proper jumps since Tokai don't even have any jumps.....maybe ask Johann Potgieter to teach you guys some skills...add Greg Minnaar and Andrew Neethling to that list....they probably the only DH people who don't make a tit of themself trying to insult people meanwhile you just all act like little kids...

Edited by MTB_Roadie

HAHHAHA I think i'll just return the "That is probably the dumbest thing I ever heard" comment straight back at you! ...

1. Most if not ALL trails in South Africa are built by Volunteers!!! Build Days are held and ordinary riders are asked to come participate. (Few ever do come though and its generally the DH guys who actually get out there and build trails)

2. The HUGE sum of R30 you pay for riding there most likely goes to admin! You think of Karkloof and Howick ... there you also have to get a day licence for about 30 bucks and that goes somewhat towards trail maintanence but mainly to the land owners for A. allowing us access! and B. all their admin for indemnities etc.

3. If you are too much a scrouge to pay an extra 20 bucks to go and ride on AMAZING mtb trails then i suggest that you sell your mtb and go back to road riding where you can ride uninhibited anywhere you like and still complain that your tax money is not going to road upkeep etc. You have to remember that it costs money to build and maintain trails and they dont just MAGICALLY appear for you to ride. So if you have to pay a bit more to ride well maintained and signed trails you shouldnt complain! Go to any Mtb Park overseas and see their entry fees ... WHY?? Cus the trails are well marked and well maintained and that costs money!

4. How do you know that Downhill 5 - 6 and that Berm section below it were not built BY DH riders to be ridden down? You profoundly say "GO BUILD YOUR OWN TRAILS" ... well if a trail has BERMS, JUMPS and DROPS in it it is A. generally designed to go one direction, B. most probably built by DH riders ...

5. Yes i agree that some races do have uphill singletrack and therefore you need to hone your skills for this ... And therefore I suggest that you get a bunch of your UPHILL mates and go have a BUILD DAY to build some sweet tech UPHILL singletrack at tokai that link you to Boulders etc. There is infinate possibilities there ... so instead of Bad mouthing the guys who actually get off their arses and go build the trails ... pick up a spade and go HELP by building some trails up the hill!

*yawn*

Guest Omega Man

*yawn*

You've just proven yourself to be a massive tosser cos Nigel is the guy who built the PMB MTB World Cup tracks.

you, yes you, stop it!!

You know who you are. Stop resorting to personal insults. And stop the inciting. Its against the rules. Dont make me enforce them.

So I'll make this simple.

If you continue your insults, I will increase your warning status (without being kind enough to send a PM).

Persist and the thread will be locked.

One word:

Respect.

The guys that ride up the DH sections are not novice riders. They know exactly what trail they are riding up and that there is a strong possibility that a DH rider may come hurtling down the trail at any second .... but still insist on riding up the trail. This to me is just pure arrogant stupidity, placing yourself and someone else in intentional danger when you *DO* know better. As mentioned by a previous poster, it's not about ownership ... it's about safety.

*yawn*

ok ... obviously your name says it all and you attitude is worse than i thought ... I wasnt being mean or nasty to you and actually AGREED with you in some instances ... But with your attitude shown on here you are obviously not going to see any other views except yours. So i'll just say enjoy your riding (wherever it may be ... and if you pass some guys slaving away building a trail that YOU WILL LATER RIDE i hope you say THANK YOU to them for their hard work.

But im sure you wont!

This is the point, they WERE built by downhill riders as downhills for EVERYONE to enjoy.

They were designed to be ridden one way.

This roadie wouldn't have the balls to try, which is why he feels all 'crowded' when he's speeding down the jeep track! hahahaa. Roadie, come ride some DH with us, show us how to do those jumps. You can use my bike if you like.

Edited by grb285

We all ride bikes, Some of us on the mountain, some on the road, then on the mountain; some ride uphill and some ride downhill.

Whats the difference, is it impossible to have an normal conversation that doesn't lead to aggravation for everybody.

Clearly something has to be done for Tokai's DH trails, and lets be honest, you know when it's a downhill trail because it's steep, technical and made for speed, not for uphill.

If you don't know that you are riding on a downhill trail, then, well, you need help.

You've just proven yourself to be a massive tosser cos Nigel is the guy who built the PMB MTB World Cup tracks.

hahaha thanks bud ... but lets rephrase that ... I just built the DH track not the XC that epic piece of work was done by Nick Floros!

Maybe we should just put this to bed. Everyone has had there say, whether right or wrong.

Fighting on the Hub is not going to solve any issues at all, if anything it will create hernias. TMNP has a plan for Tokai, we all know this, and that is to rid the area of the Pine trees to bring the mountain back to its original state. Bear in mind the area is a National Park with their priority area being to ensure that the area is as natural as possible, they don't have to allow MTB in the park but they do. If they see that it can turn into a sour relationship among riders I'm sure they will be happy to either reduce the area, or numbers, which we can ride, or ban riding altogether. But if we should a strong sense of community it bodes well for MTB as a whole, whether DH, XC, Freeride, UNi, etc.

As we know plans are in the pipeline to create a park full of trails to accommodate the vast numbers of riders which frequent the trails. We need to embrace this, we need to contribute, through voluntary maintenance days, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, innovative ideas, etc.

All this mud slinging is not going to help anyone, if some one has an idea, or an opinion, we must acknowledge it, and then as a collective decide if it is the best option.

I seriously think we need to end this discussion once and for all. And remember politeness goes along way, even if someone is being absolutely ridicules.

Don't even know if this makes sense, I wrote this in a rush.