Riding up the tokai dh track . Again.

jimmy hardtail

what do you mean, there are people riding for fun out there...?

I mean some families go to Tokai just jamming around to get a bit of a outing....its like when I normally cycle up the jeep track people walk next to each other....hardly make way....I don't complain, I still go around and greet...

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also wear a t-shirt when I ride. Does this make me a novice? :drool: Jokes aside, this whole idea of us having to run around policing the place reminds me of prefects at school. Most people ride up the DH not as an act of defiance, but because they have no idea that it's one way only. How would they know? There is no signage!

David, please try to get this chip off your shoulder about DH riders. It's not cool. I'm sure you are a cool guy, so no need to carry on about other styles of riding. Also, if you are at a trail park and you come up behind a slower rider you have no right to shout "track" or expect them to move, so your altruism there isn't really that justified. It's only in races that you can expect this. At the park, you wait. I often just pull off the trail and chill for a couple of minutes. We're all there to have fun, no?

There aint no chip on my shoulder, the issue I have is because of ALL the DH riders complaining about their sections being ridden up, where they not meant to, BUT there is no signage informing people as to a direction.

If the DH guys want to SPEED/RACE (as its all about time) down these sections then they have to have more riders/friends placed on sections (as I said before) and or around road gaps, informing other cyclists as to what is happening.

For Eg: Part of the top trail might look ok, but when the DH rider gets further down there might be a kid/novice cyclist around a blind corner.

No-one can expect to race down these trails without having some kind of traffic as this is NOT a race where the trail/DH section gets demarcated!!

So in other words, if you/any DH rider doesnt want there run to be stuffed up, then have more `look-outs` spaced down the trails!

Edited by david16v

There aint no chip on my shoulder, the issue I have is because of ALL the DH riders complaining about their sections being ridden up, where they not meant to, BUT there is no signage informing people as to a direction.

If the DH guys want to SPEED/RACE (as its all about time) down these sections then they have to have more riders/friends placed on sections (as I said before) and or around road gaps, informing other cyclists as to what is happening.

For Eg: Part of the top trail might look ok, but when the DH rider gets further down there might be a kid/novice cyclist around a blind corner.

No-one can expect to race down these trails without having some kind of traffic as this is NOT a race where the trail/DH section gets demarcated!!

So in other words, if you/any DH rider doesnt want there run to be stuffed up, then have more `look-outs` spaced down the trails!

You know, it's tiring reading lies. Please refer to your statement: "I didnt tell the guy to hurry up, get off the trail, etc because there could be a superior DH rider coming soon to ride over us!". Only you feel inferior. There is not one DH rider who has ever said they are better than anyone else. Get this chip off your shoulder dude, it's uncalled for and it's becoming boring.

I agree with your post here, without signs there will need to be some other form of safety system in place.

I'm sticking with signage though. Most people will obey the signs when (IF) they are put up. I will start writing letters to CNC about this issue. It needs to be sorted out.

By the way, EVERYONE is allowed to ride the downhill lines. Hardtails, junk bikes, bmx, SS, 29ers, MUni...and I've seen just about everyone having a go. The DH runs are not 'reserved' for those who wear full face helmets. These are just the guys who try their best to go as fast as possible on these trails by learning every possibility and pushing their own limits. David, I know you're on here to stir, your signature says this, but please, try not to derail a really important issue with your own insecurities.

You know, it's tiring reading lies. Please refer to your statement: "I didnt tell the guy to hurry up, get off the trail, etc because there could be a superior DH rider coming soon to ride over us!". Only you feel inferior. There is not one DH rider who has ever said they are better than anyone else. Get this chip off your shoulder dude, it's uncalled for and it's becoming boring.

I agree with your post here, without signs there will need to be some other form of safety system in place.

I'm sticking with signage though. Most people will obey the signs when (IF) they are put up. I will start writing letters to CNC about this issue. It needs to be sorted out.

By the way, EVERYONE is allowed to ride the downhill lines. Hardtails, junk bikes, bmx, SS, 29ers, MUni...and I've seen just about everyone having a go. The DH runs are not 'reserved' for those who wear full face helmets. These are just the guys who try their best to go as fast as possible on these trails by learning every possibility and pushing their own limits. David, I know you're on here to stir, your signature says this, but please, try not to derail a really important issue with your own insecurities.

"I didnt tell the guy to hurry up, get off the trail, etc because there could be a superior DH rider coming soon to ride over us!". Only you feel inferior.

This was said because two DH riders had a loud conversation in the car park on Saturday morning about cyclists riding up the DH birm section. The one DH rider was cross with the other because he didnt tell the cyclist to get off the trail!

Just who does he think he is??? THE TRAILS ARE FOR ALL!

Read my posts above before shooting your mouth off.

Edited by david16v

This was said because two DH riders had a loud conversation in the car park on Saturday morning about cyclists riding up the DH birm section. The one DH rider was cross with the other because he didnt tell the cyclist to get off the trail!

I don't know who he thinks he is. Why didn't you go and ask him? Tell him how the trails are for all.

David, I feel sorry for you. I really do.

Pain or Shine, signs? ETA on them please.

Exactly, SAFETY (you said it) so you cannot expect to SPEED down these trails without knowing that the trail ahead is clear!!!!!!

These signs say DH 1, DH 2, etc but they DO NOT SAY - ONE WAY!

I will continue to ride up these trails (between 6-8am on the Weekends & 6-8pm on week nights)

These trails dont belong to any group of cyclist, everybody is welcome!

I actually overheard someone complaining on Saturday morning in the Car park about some guy riding up that section and another fellow DH`er asking if he tuned this guy??!!!

This was at 9am, unfortunately the `novices` (aka t-shirt brigade) are already on the trails at this time.

I got stuck behind a father and son (8 years old) 2 weekends ago, I didnt tell the guy to hurry up, get off the trail, etc because there could be a superior DH rider coming soon to ride over us! I slowed down and actually got thinking that this was awesome father/son time and this little boy could be the next `Burry`!

So put ur EGO aside and just ride safe and cautiously!

Dude if u dont know what DOWNhill track means then u are an idiot :blink: ...do we hav to spell it out for u...?!

We are not saying the DH track are ours at all, we just saying they are not for people who want to ride UP them!

Yes we race down but obviously if we see a kid or slow guy going down we will wait until he is out of the way. BUT we cannot see if some idiot rides up a marked DOWNhill track.

So this is your warning...all the marked DOWNhill tracks are one way...DOWN, do not ride up them!

I was moaning about the guys riding up the dh trail. And i was talking about the level above the berm. And i ride in a t shirt. Next time you are there come say hello. What would happen if all the dh riders suited up and started bombing the snake trails? They are allowed to. But i always wait till those trails are clear before going down. If someone wants to donate signage i will put it up myself. I am now sorry that i started this thread. I think i will just shut up and ride wherever from now on

What would happen if all the dh riders suited up and started bombing the snake trails? They are allowed to.

TRUE DAT...its not about rules or signs its about COMMON SENSE and courtesy.

Guest Omega Man

Read my posts above before shooting your mouth off.

If you had overheard 2 downhillers on Sunday morning talking about how xc guys were riding up the brand new piece of downhill trail we had just finished building the day before one of them would have been me. I was wearing a t shirt. The birm is a downhill trail. Again. The entrance to the trail is marked. The little green sign has the word Downhill written on it.

And as such Downhillers had stupidly assumed that the trail was unidirectional. That means one way. Down.

And the correct spelling is berm.

If you had overheard 2 downhillers on Sunday morning talking about how xc guys were riding up the brand new piece of downhill trail we had just finished building the day before one of them would have been me. I was wearing a t shirt. The birm is a downhill trail. Again. The entrance to the trail is marked. The little green sign has the word Downhill written on it.

And as such Downhillers had stupidly assumed that the trail was unidirectional. That means one way. Down.

And the correct spelling is berm.

A lot of riders don't know that a dedicated downhill is unidirectional though. Most riders don't hang out on The Hub either. Without proper, clear signage at the end of the DH runs this is a losing battle, and one that will end tragically.

If we do get signs in place, the next issue is one of enforcement. There is no way a rider can be banned from the park for selfishly disregarding the code of conduct.

I'm all for getting this happening, and it was why I posted about this issue many weeks ago. I'm unaware if anything is in the pipeline to be done. I suppose we will have to wait for the inevitable.

I agree that without signs, how are people meant to know??? If I'm a first time rider there, how must I know that the trail I'm riding up is a DH (the sign is at the TOP of the trail, plus it doesn't say ONE WAY ONLY).

This is the most sensible thing that has been said about this topic for a while.

solution - make the downhills too steep/hard for anyone to ride up. hell, if a novice / kid is riding up your downhill then ..............need i go on.

SIGNS PLEASE! I've been riding Tokai for ages, always riding up the single track, including up the berm - I've never ever thought of it as a 'downhill track' just another single track. Sure, now i've been educated different story. Point is how am i supposed to know? Had a similar thing on my ride on Sunday. Riding up to Noordhoek Peak, i took a detour to the fire look-out, only to be confronted by a hiker, who said i was breaking the law for riding there. In fact he asked if i was a rescuer??? And if that was the reason i was there WTF? I asked if he was the mountain god, and if so where te F*ck were the signs to tell me not to ride there!

You can hear a downhiller coming for miles... just move off the trail and let him pass. Frankly I like seeing the downhillers on the route cause it give us something to watch!! Especially since they let it hang out a little more when they see some spectators. The trail is for all of us, just be sensible.

SIGNS PLEASE! I've been riding Tokai for ages, always riding up the single track, including up the berm - I've never ever thought of it as a 'downhill track' just another single track. Sure, now i've been educated different story. Point is how am i supposed to know? Had a similar thing on my ride on Sunday. Riding up to Noordhoek Peak, i took a detour to the fire look-out, only to be confronted by a hiker, who said i was breaking the law for riding there. In fact he asked if i was a rescuer??? And if that was the reason i was there WTF? I asked if he was the mountain god, and if so where te F*ck were the signs to tell me not to ride there!

I'm with you on that one. Ignorance is bliss. I can't stand these school prefect types who feel the need to police things. You did the right thing and I hope you told him to ****OFF and mind his own business.

It's why Tokai needs proper signs. I saw some people riding up the DH the other day, but I'm not going to run after them and scold them for it. How are they supposed to know? Signs.

You can hear a downhiller coming for miles... just move off the trail and let him pass. Frankly I like seeing the downhillers on the route cause it give us something to watch!! Especially since they let it hang out a little more when they see some spectators. The trail is for all of us, just be sensible.

Hi Larry, if people are coming down a single track (i.e not a dedicated, DH specific trail) then you actually have the right of way coming up the hill, and the riding coming down is expected to slow down and make way for you. These are accepted norms Worldwide. If however, you are riding up a dedicated downhill, then you actually are not meant to be there at all. For the sake of safety, these routes are strictly one way. Everyone is welcome to ride these lines, and most downhill riders will be more than happy to see anyone going for it. Its whatever gets your stoke on, and seeing people having fun is the main aim of the sport. Riding UP a DH is a big no no.

Hopefully soon, with enough screaming, crying, letters and probably eventually doing it ourselves, we'll have some proper signs at the exits to the downhills that will clearly state them as being unidirectional and no entry.

But seriously Larry, everyone is a downhill rider, and it's not about the bike, or the gear. It's about going as fast as you can, in the best style while having heaps of fun. Slamming head-on into a kid while railing a berm is not any rider's idea of fun, hence the million threads about it.

sigh

According to pain or shine permission has been granted to install one way signs from below the berm up. Dont know where the signs are coming from though. Till then just watch out for david 16v and co cause they must be right. At least they ride down the road so as not to block the singletrack too much. Dirt roadies as the editor of tread mag calls them. Ha ha.