Sani is expensive!

daryl_tt

This year at Sani2C we got:

A Salomon all weather jacket (Retails for R1200 in the shops)

A Salomon light weight jacket (Retails for about R650 in the shops)

An Aca Joe hoodie jacket (guessing its also close to R1000)

Free beverages, snacks, etc throughout the race village

Free recovery shakes from USN

Chocies and biscuits in our Tents at night

A free face towel.

Furthermore Sani2C is planting trees to neutralise our carbon footprint for doing the event. Have you costed an indigenous sapling lately? Planting 3 trees per rider may cost about R1500 in total.

If it wasn't for the fantastic spsonsors, we would have been paying Epic-type prices for the event.

Now that's a good answer :thumbup:

Thanks

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A free face towel.

Furthermore Sani2C is planting trees to neutralise our carbon footprint for doing the event. Have you costed an indigenous sapling lately? Planting 3 trees per rider may cost about R1500 in total.

If it wasn't for the fantastic spsonsors, we would have been paying Epic-type prices for the event.

I think if u took all the jackets, food, drink & snacks, water tables etc etc into account this year, we actually got more than what we paid for the entry... i can only imagine what next year will be like. Aside from the entry proces (complete bugger up), this is the best race value for money wise i have ever done... and i've done a fair few.... and thats besides the awesome racing track provided ever year. :thumbup:

Edited by Paulst12

So I'm really keen to do one of these multi stage mtb events and I was really looking forward to trying to get an entry into sani2C, until I looked at the price.

Its about R4458 per rider which basically works out to be R1500 a day. Now I thought hill2hill was a really well organised ride with lots of water points and good markings, and that race is R250 to enter. So using that as a gauge, where does the R1250 per day go? Accommodation and food?? I can't see it.

And another 3 day race 'The garden route 300' costs R2400 per rider for the 3 days. Which works out to be R800 a day for the ride, lunch and dinner. That's much better value.

So besides saying how awesome sani is (because I've many positive comments on it already), can someone tell me why it is so much more expensive than other races?

Thanks!

you've got to compare apples with apples.

GR300 looks cheaper, but it's not the same.

the scale of logistics is totally different.

GR300 - no accom, three races with same start/finish..no huge CSR program(that i know of, yet).

the closest matched event(in my mind0 is the wines2whales...that costs R7600 per team, so sani is not that much more.

once again, leave it up to the market to decide....farmer glenn could triple the price and probably still fill it.

Edited by SteveCT

I don't doubt its awesomeness. I just want to know why its so expensive. If they are just charging so much because they can, then I'm disappointed.

You have to do this event to understand what goes into it, the world class course with around 70km of singletrack, the scenery, the custom built bridges, video highlights every night, course walkthroughs from Farmer Glen who scouted and designed every inch of the course, the community involvement, all the free swag, free food and drinks all day long, professional organisation, I think you will be amazed that it doesn't cost more.

I've never done Sani2C but I would imagine the logistics must play a big cost. Transporting all that stuff for three days as well as all the behind the scenes stuff (hiring people to set the camp sites up, cleaning, cooking etc). Just my 2c

A free face towel.

Exactly, and a long sleeve t-shirt at the finish, some free photos and the best catering at any MTB event IMO.

You definitely get your money's worth. Having said that, I do think that they charge more than they need to to cover the costs, but they have taken a decision to give something back to the communities and to invest in the future of the race by building awesome trails and bridges and...

I would love to do Epic, Sani and JOberg and many more, but I can't afford to do them. One guy spoke on TV at Sani and he talks *** because he said, the race is for everyone. I say, it is only for the riches who can afford...

Ahhh stage racing...

Value for money - *** sleg.

Value for experience - priceless.

For the price of the Epic you can do a 5 star Mauritius trip with no expense spared but you should skip the Mauritian holiday one year and do the Epic. You will not regret it. Same with Sani and Joburg2c.

Exactly, and a long sleeve t-shirt at the finish, some free photos and the best catering at any MTB event IMO.

You definitely get your money's worth. Having said that, I do think that they charge more than they need to to cover the costs, but they have taken a decision to give something back to the communities and to invest in the future of the race by building awesome trails and bridges and...

You all forgot to mention the Arm Warmers

Just about the only people more irritating than a 29er owner telling me unconvincingly how well it rolls over whatever, are Sani2C riders having a awesomeness orgasm whenever the topic comes up...

But to stick to the topic, yes it is worth it, even if it is just to cut off in mid sentence the above mentioned people by saying you've been there too.

R4,500...my swaer het daai brokkie inligting gemis maar ag dis seker OK ek reken sy company gaan ons sponser - ne' David ? :rolleyes:

Regarding whether its worth it - How much would accommodation in a guest house in the Midlands cost with 3 meals per day? Take that as a rough base cost to compare. Ok, you sleep in tents on Sani, but the logistics probably offsets that.

Then also factor in that there is a lot of hand build singletrack (or rather dual track - 2xsingletrack options per section. That must be worth something.

If you had the best (insert anything you want here - cellphone/car wash / hamburger) that consumers fell over their feet to buy, what would you do?

I think it is a supply and demand thing. As soon as demand drops, the price will stabilize.

in addition - dont forget those nando's burgers at the water points

in terms of what you get for the money you pay it is worth it.

Just about the only people more irritating than a 29er owner telling me unconvincingly how well it rolls over whatever, are Sani2C riders having a awesomeness orgasm whenever the topic comes up...

But to stick to the topic, yes it is worth it, even if it is just to cut off in mid sentence the above mentioned people by saying you've been there too.

/hands chickenrundude a little ray of happiness.

I would love to do Epic, Sani and JOberg and many more, but I can't afford to do them. One guy spoke on TV at Sani and he talks *** because he said, the race is for everyone. I say, it is only for the riches who can afford...

I think I am going to step on peoples toes but I agree...