2011 FNB Desert Dash 24hr

nathrix

You'll enjoy it now without the threat of bullets flying past you.

But don't go through the trouble of exchanging currency. You can use them Rands, the change received will be NAM $.

But don't go through the trouble of exchanging currency. You can use them Rands, the change received will be NAM $.

Thanks.

I was just waiting for my bank to open this morning so I could arrange for some Nam $.

As for the bullets - the leading riders will pass me at about the same speed so I feel right at home.

Edited by I FLY

• 3 weeks later...

We had a really enjoyable trip for our first Desert Dash. Our team mates from Windhoek, who we met at the race briefing on Thursday, went out of their way to organise everything for us. Lift from airport, bakkie, support driver, food, drinks , B and Bs were all arranged by them.

We stayed with Dan Craven in Windhoek and then he did a special 500km trip back to his home town so we could have a braai on a koppie on his family farm after the race.

Our team's combined age was 216 and our time was 18h34. The race is mostly on good gravel roads with some riding on sand in the desert closer to Swakopmund. The temperatures ranged from 41c to about 8 c in the morning. The prevailing headwind did not blow as hard as in previous years.

I had been warned about the dust from the vehicles but this was not such a big issue. Most riders pulled buffs across their mouth and nose.I saw some riders wearing surgical masks and I think that this is a better option than a buff

For a race that goes down to the sea there are plenty of rolling hills with a few long steep ones thrown in on the 1st and 3rd stages.

I rode the 2nd solo stage from 9pm to 1am and my magicshine light on low beam was more than adequate for the job.

My wife met up with Ziggy from Polar who now lives in Windhoek. They are old tandem partners and they are now planning a tandem assault on the DD in 2012.

The spirit amoungst the supporters and off duty riders at the change over points makes the race special.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by I FLY

Well done.

The Namibian hospitality is famous...well almost as much as ours :thumbup:

Merry Xmas to you and A from the Kalchal Team

I-Fly - I saw Dan at the 1st CP with his bike, having a beer!

I thin I passed Adele at some stage - she looked like Pippy Longstocking from the back with her ponytails!

If I am correct you rode stage three? By that time the wind had died down somewhat. Going down the pass, I could only manage 76km/h due to the headwind.

My total ascent for the race was 2310m or something. If you consider that Windhoek is only 1800m above sealevel, it means the race was uphill!

The vehicles left stage 4 after 10km and the changes in the route meant we did not have so much dust in stages 4,5 and 6. Also, the block headwind/side wind also took the dust away quicker, compared to last year's comparitively windless stages where the dust would just hang in the air.

The pipe-line was an absolute shocker, especially if you have already got 280km in your legs!

How about the solo next year?

I-Fly - I saw Dan at the 1st CP with his bike, having a beer!

I thin I passed Adele at some stage - she looked like Pippy Longstocking from the back with her ponytails!

If I am correct you rode stage three? By that time the wind had died down somewhat. Going down the pass, I could only manage 76km/h due to the headwind.

My total ascent for the race was 2310m or something. If you consider that Windhoek is only 1800m above sealevel, it means the race was uphill!

The vehicles left stage 4 after 10km and the changes in the route meant we did not have so much dust in stages 4,5 and 6. Also, the block headwind/side wind also took the dust away quicker, compared to last year's comparitively windless stages where the dust would just hang in the air.

The pipe-line was an absolute shocker, especially if you have already got 280km in your legs!

How about the solo next year?

Dan was not allowed to ride the race as he was knocked off his bike outside the country club two weeks ago and hurt his back. He was having that beer at our support vehicle.

Adele rode the 2nd stage. And I did the 3rd one.

I am not sure about going solo :unsure: I was toying with the idea of going SS in a four man team though.

I am waiting to get photos from our support driver.

Did you guys know that the idea for 2012 is to have all SOLO riders ride unsupported... meaning they will just be able to drop off an ice cream box of goddies per check point... NO SUPPORT TEAM!

It is supposed to lessen the dust issue...

It is not official yet... but there has been talk.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi mountainchild. I've done three and completed two - the last one in 19H23. The most important is to get your head right - being alone in the desert at 2 o'clock plays headgames with you. Don't go too hard in the first 3 stages - save some energy for stage 5 along the pipe-line! Stage two and three are the hardest as far as the route goes, but 4 -6 is hard on your body and mental state. I usualle stay in Arbbusch lodge in Windhoek, about 1.5km from the start. In Swakop you will struggle with acommodation as it is peak tourist season. There are some camping options and there is a reasonably nice municipal resort of sorts. Any other questions: sias.leroux2@harmony.co.za . Cheers. Sias