32GI

ridr

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weight Weenie, testing a product that works for u comes with knowing your own body and performance capabilities.

Firstly I would like to state I am involved with 32Gi, so that being said, I dont want u to think I am coming across as overly biased, I am going to give you the straight and narrow here, my personal opionion

The way I usually test products is:

Firstly I have a zero sugar diet which is good, because eating nonsense even some days before testing a product can impact your performance on a given day. Certain colourants take up to 72 hours to get out of the blood stream and actually also suppress certain things, caffeine and sugar all play there part, without going into too much detail. With endurance products u want to check the following:

1. Digestive Impact - Is this going to give me cramps or cause any stomach issues etc.

2. Energy Levels - How much energy is it going to give me and how long will it sustain me for, in other words, a coke as an example is a good 20 minutes of boost and then the decline begins, this is NOT what you want. The high GI products like pure maltodextrin spike and drop u, if u miss a top up u r finished u will fatigue and the peak keeps dropping. A lot of endurance athletes actually get a lot of nausea from all the glucose pumped into their bloodstream.

3. Sustainability - How long can I go on the fuel before I bonk. In other words reach glycogen depletion and hit the wall. A good way to test this is strict diet, wake up take in the energy drink and go at your maximum until you hit the wall. 1.5 hours would be okay, 1.5 - 2 hours is good over 2-2.5 hours is excellent, not many products get there, and if you go over 2.5 hours then its a dream. People have told me yes but I can go for many hours, I am talking about not race pace, but sprint pace, meaning maxing out heart rate not lower than 80%-90% of your max, its a different story all together.

4. Post Event - How do you feel when you are finished, are you hungry, are you nauseas, are you weak. You would like to feel good after a session, and without severe hunger cravings, and definitely no nausea.

Testing then is as I mentioned earlier the max test, and then some really long endurance events at least 6-8 hours long where I prick myself before the event and every 30 minutes to measure blood sugar levels and then afterwards. I can tell you without mentioning names some drinks send my glucose levels spiralling, and its up and down through an event, I look for balance and most importantly I dont want to reach the hyperglycaemic levels where u feel fatigued because, its hard to come out of that during an event. I also take notes of every feeling dip in energy, funny taste, cramping, digestive impact before and after, timing of take in etc. There is lots more.

Last thing and as much as people say no, I say yes, TASTE is important, a energy drink needs to go down well.

Last but not least, an energy drink is an energy drink, some drinks contain protein and vitamins and a bunch of unnecessary stuff. I am not from the school of thought where protein is taken during an event, I use it immediately afterwards for recovery, my goal is to slow down my rate of glycogen depletion as much as possible by utilising the correct energy drink (good carbohydrates) and fuelling the muscles properly, without overdoing it.I dont believe in caffeine in an energy drink for an endurance event, for 2 reason=s firstly dehydration and secondly bladder effect, yes caffeine slows down the rate of glycogen depletion, however its recommended by the best sports physicians in the world to stop caffeine intake at least a week before an event to remove caffeine intolerance, and then to pump in 2-3mg of caffeine per a kilo of body weight BUT 3-4 hours before the event. No closer. For short distance events caffeine is great, or for a boost in the last 45 minutes of a cycle or running event. Vitamins and minerals to me are diet related, they are not going to be absorbed and utilized in such a short space of time, and again it could be an overdose, as an example some proteins contain zinc, and i find with clients of mine they get nausea from this. There are 100's of examples like this, the cleaner the better.

I want to feel good at the end, even if tired, which is muscle fatigue you still want to feel mentally and physically good, and we all know our own bodies and know when we are not feeling great.

Finally, yes I do use 32GI, I saw someone mention Hammer earlier, I used Hammer for many years and wont knock the product its good, far better than others out there. There is a big difference between the two, and that is the one is high GI than the other. I have a zero sugar diet and so the 32GI works amazingly on me, which is why I go involved in promoting the product, I have never in 15 years felt sustainability like this and the pro athletes have spoken.

This is the maybe biased part but very true and I will only mention 3 of tens of pro athletes in this country.

Andrew Kelehe - most number of comrades Gold medals uses 32Gi

Kerry Koen - 9th at 2 oceans, breaking her personal best 21km and 42km in the race, was on 32Gi

Jason Spong - Ranked 7th in the World, Powerman Duathlon Series - he ran 53km on a single bottle and has done 8-9 hour training sessions on it without any additional intake.

Comrades Winner from last year Steven Muzhingi is currently testing it I will keep you posted with the feedback.

I guess the bottom line with any product is, you need to try it and if it suits you then great, go with it, dont be afraid to try other products you need to see what works for you.

Good luck.

Interesting info.  Can you post a link/website so we can check it out.  Where can one order/buy theproduct?

MTBVIP - Its great that you ask that question, but the truth is all carbohydrates differ from one another, so if I told you 47grams of carbs per a serving. You might say mmm, too little. However if I told you that it sustains you for 2 hours at least, because it only gives the muscles the exact amount of glucose they require and the balance is tapped from the fat stores, you might think differently. Dont be fooled into thinking amount of carbs is the answer per an hour, muscles need glucose to function, glucose comes from calories = carbs, every carbohydrate is different most high gi products actually pump too much in, yes the conversion rate is high no harm done, but how much is actually being used by the muscles.

Thanks wolf for the effort with the long post, currently using pvm products (octane, reignite and fusion(?)) after just using powerade, will try and give your product a go sometime, as I try to keep my diet as low GI as possible.

Hi Kieran

The product sells for between R225 - R235 depending where you buy it. We do online orders as well with door to door shipments, its slightly more expensive R249.00

Remember though 1 serving = 2 hours of energy, NOT 45 minutes, so you equate the pricing that way and it comes in very competitively.

Go to www.32gi.com to see product etc, the sites not finished but still a lot of information.

Hmmm, I was under the impression you want high glycaemic index energy drinks during a race (rapid absorption and rise in serum glucose level). Are there any research to suggest that low G.I drinks are better during endurance events?

You mention research done at Freiburg University - anywhere we can read the research report? Was it published in any sports medicine journals? I ask this because any research used to promote a product can be "tweaked" to show any result required - unless it has been published and is available for scrutiny (ie was it a randomised double blind study?), it means nothing.

I am always keen to try new products, but when a product is promoted/ advertised on the hub by people involved in its development under the guise of "satified customers" I get upset. Surely hubbers/ cyclists aren't that gullable?

Please provide us with scientific evidence to support the claims made with regards this product.

I started a thread a few days ago about this stuff, but didn't get any attention. (And I'm not involved with the 32GI business.) 

I'm limited to what I can use because I need kosher stuff. I tried Hammer for a while and some other things I managed to find, but this is the most cost effective for me and it works well for me - sustained energy, less hungry after training & racing. It's especially great for longer stuff (2hour+), not sure about less than 2hrs (don't really need anything fancy for shorter stuff). And it's certified kosher (including for Passover). Also certified halaal as far as I know. 

Hi mtbvip

I agree with you 100%, High GI has always been advocated as the energy food of choice, but why? Its because there has never been any rapid or decent digestibility with a low GI product, imagine eating meat and going on a run lol. Agreed NO low GI drinks are suitable for endurance sports, no disagreement there.

That was until our special fructose/sucrose source was invented, a natural honey sugar extract and it is the bomb of low GI for endurance sports, it works like no other carbohydrate in the world . The product in its natural form has not been around for very long so more research and reports will come, but I can promise you this. Not one person whether an elite athlete such as myself and I do a sub 8:30 IM, or stage riders and time trialists has had anything negative to say about the drink.

The proof is in the pudding they say, only you can be the judge of that. Try it and let me know what you think, I am interested in your opinion, thats really what matters in the end.

Tryman, although I am very sceptical about new products with doubtful research behind them, I am willing to give the product a try. Can I purchase sachets or sample size servings?

I am in the US, but I see Mark was on the forum so I will drop him an email to contact you, or at least look at your post, I am sure he can organise you samples.

Hi, the above posts indeed look promising and ive already mailed this to a buddy of mine (diabetic).

It was mentioned that this product also taps from the fat storage?  Surely the top athletes eg Lance has almost no fat in their system (I still remember how Indurain bonked many years back on a very cold Tour de France due to low fat storage) and thus 32GI might not suit this type of athlete?

Just want to state that i have LOTs of fat storage so will give the product a try smiley4.gif.  You say Dischem also stocks??

Just a fact:

The average man can run can 30-40 marathons on his fat stores alone, and I promise you and elite athlete benefits from higher fat oxidation, this carb oxidates at 28% higher than any other.

I use the stuff, my body fat is on average 6-8% all year around it works very well. I have many elite athletes who are stable at these %'s and they they enjoy using it.

all the best

M