29ER Softail versus 29ER hardtail.

2niner

Firstly there is a BIG difference between 'Soft-tail' and 'Hard-tail'

I am and always be a hard-tail fan. I know technology is advancing but I cannot stand even the slightest bit of flex and bounce in the frame!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But is that one race really worth being uncomfortable on all the other rides?

I assume you're selling your current bike too.

I ride a 26" hardtail and I love it, but thats just me.

Have you tried a 29er yet?

I went to a 29er HT....in beginning it felt very strange, but as you get used to it....descending is a breeze...I tried my 26er the other day again....and if my dad aint using it I wouldve sold it...Love the 29er...the ride is smoother on the 29er HT than the 26er HT...especially in rocky sections as it just rolls over....

Firstly there is a BIG difference between 'Soft-tail' and 'Hard-tail'

I take it you are indeed referring to a Soft-tail and not a dual suspension?

Hijack on:

Thanks Crow, have a new toy to set up soon. Just need to finish building her already!

Hijack off:

Have beem keeping an eye on that thread. Shout when you're ready.

Get off the tar man.:lol: Buy a road bike.:lol:

Been a while since i've been on it but i do own a road bike. :D

Never ridden a hardtail 29 but my 29 DS rear shock is set to lock out and have had no reason so far to open it.

Bring it to Rietvlei and use it properly :rolleyes: - mine dumps are no place for that machine ....

Focus damnit people focus!! Im trying to concentrate here on ST vs HT vs DS

Where were we? Someone implied that a soft tail is not a duel suspension...letting it dangle in the air....

OK - Ill bite....whats the diff?

Bring it to Rietvlei and use it properly :rolleyes: - mine dumps are no place for that machine ....

Noooo my 29'er is for marathon rides, with my height i look clumsy enough on it. 26 for Rietvlei as it has too many twists and turns.

Noooo my 29'er is for marathon rides, with my height i look clumsy enough on it. 26 for Rietvlei as it has too many twists and turns.

post-271-0-76084700-1314090011.jpg

Focus damnit people focus!! Im trying to concentrate here on ST vs HT vs DS

Where were we? Someone implied that a soft tail is not a duel suspension...letting it dangle in the air....

OK - Ill bite....whats the diff?

Softail refers to a pivotless rear suspension and it forms part of the bike, often a dual suspension is refered to as a softail, but its not

post-7-0-16706100-1314090716.jpg

Interesting...now this should probably be a topic all on its own...if you are on a dual sus - and the setting is for 'firm'...how much eneregy is lost as opposed to HT?

This is 100% not true, a 29er hardtail is not nearly as soft as a 26er dual, infact its not soft at all, I have both and yes my 29er is a carbon frame.

In my view they are, of course the various bikes will differ in the amount of flex they give.

I've ridden an alu 26er DS, a 26er hardtail, a carbon 26er hardtail and a carbon 29er hardtail.

For me, i preferred they 26er hardtail because it is the perfect balance between power transfer/weight.

Also depends on what tyres you have on, the 29er i rode, (a friend of my dads' bike) had quite wide tyres, 2.4's i think.

Suspension also wasn't set to my weight which made it feel different.

But that's just my opinion.

Have you tried a 29er yet?

I went to a 29er HT....in beginning it felt very strange, but as you get used to it....descending is a breeze...I tried my 26er the other day again....and if my dad aint using it I wouldve sold it...Love the 29er...the ride is smoother on the 29er HT than the 26er HT...especially in rocky sections as it just rolls over....

ya i have, 2 in fact a dual sus and a HT.

But for me, the primary objective was weight and in the technical switchbacks (which i'm far from great in) the big wheels somewhat made it a bit harder for me.

But this isn't a 26er vs 29er debate.

I've made my decision on that already.