29ER Softail versus 29ER hardtail.

2niner

But is that one race really worth being uncomfortable on all the other rides?

I assume you're selling your current bike too.

I ride a 26" hardtail and I love it, but thats just me.

Yup its for sale, plenty of offers and visits. May end up keeping it.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're not racing then why is weight an issue?

According to what you will be using the bike for then you might as well just upgrade or get a new bike.

Compared to a 26er hardtail a 29er hardtail is the equivalent of a 26er dual suss.

But like i said before, why is weight a concern if you're just gonna be chilling on the technical stuff?

Really :rolleyes:

These are looking hot, with rumoured retail of around R30 000... and should be in SA soon :clap:

http://cdn.mongoose.com/catalog/product/cache/108/image/878x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/m/_/m_12_METEL_WHT_6.jpg

30k for a Ali 29er? Sure it has xx but don't see the point of it on that bike? For that price you could build a momsen, niner and a few other carbon framed bikes with a decent groupo , not xx but if you only have 30 k to spend xx is the last group set to Concider

I built a niner air carbon, full x9, american classic tubless wheels and finished with decent components for around 30k

Never ridden a hardtail 29 but my 29 DS rear shock is set to lock out and have had no reason so far to open it.

Never ridden a hardtail 29 but my 29 DS rear shock is set to lock out and have had no reason so far to open it.

what kind of terrain do you ride?

Edited by heed0

If you're not racing then why is weight an issue?

According to what you will be using the bike for then you might as well just upgrade or get a new bike.

Compared to a 26er hardtail a 29er hardtail is the equivalent of a 26er dual suss.

But like i said before, why is weight a concern if you're just gonna be chilling on the technical stuff?

Not what I have heard from guys that are riding 29er HT.

Hardtail bikes are the best… if…

• You are riding smooth single track and need accurate response Yes, but only on SMOOTH sgl track. Dual will almost always offer better traction and a lot more grip
  • You need good climbing ability Debatable. If its not smooth, smooth gravel a dual will climb better as it it offers better grip and traction.
  • You want a lighter bike Yes, but only if for the same money.
  • You want pedalling efficiency (and to conserve your own energy) Again debatable as it can go both ways. Giant's Maestro, DW-Link and one or two others give NOTHING away in terms of pedaling efficiency. Also, if its not smooth going a dual will have better "pedaling efficiency" than a HT.
  • If you are a XC racer who is after the biggest weight saving Yes
  • Want a bike that is easier to maintain and keep in good working order Yeah...but again seals, bushes, bearings and pivots have come a long way. I've never had to do any major maintenance on any of the duals I've owned and I ride mud, rain, dust and muck.
  • Are a dirt jumper who wants better pump off of jumps Yeah baby!

Full Suspension bikes are the best… if…

• You ride downhill
  • Go off jumps/drop-offs and want a softer (arguably) more controlled landing. Hardcore HT's are big in Canada and a couple of other countries where the riding gets BIG.
  • Suffer from saddle-ass Kinda.
  • Ride in rough terrain Yes
  • Want an all round bike with less limitations Yes
  • Want a smoother ride on the trail Yes
  • Want a more comfortable bike Yeah unsure.gif

...my opinion.

Take Majik for instance. Climbing to the beacon a HT is only faster than a dual on the section where you go through the gate (close to the bridge) and climb up next to the fence to the beacon. For most of the rest dual is at least it's equal and on some sections it trumps it by quite a bit.

Tokai to the top is faster on a HT, but....once you're there what the hell are you going to do? You're on a hard tail at the top of Tokai!thumbdown.gif

Eden is faster everywhere on a dual

G-Spot is fastest on a DJ or 4X bike (Up doesn't count as its not what the piece of heaven was build for)

Jonkers is a mix as there's lots of ways to go up/. For the most part you'd want to be on a dual anyway as the sgl track is anything but smooth there.

Oak Valley: HT for outright speed / dual for the time of your life.

Lebanon: Lots of long climbs...give me a minute...I'm out of breath all of a sudden!

Delvera: DUAL!

CHUBBA: will still get in touch to do a setup ride. Have been sick / travelling / riding!

what kind of terrain do you ride?

Mostly jeep and single, but some sections are rocky where previous on a 26 I used to ride with rear shock open but now i find i don't need to.

does anyone know the price of a new Spec Epic comp frame 29er and weight? (full aluminium frame)

post-26080-0-17360100-1314078197.jpg

Edited by heed0

does anyone know the price of a new Spec Epic comp frame 29er? (full aluminium frame)

New 2012 Epic Comp complete bike goes for R55K at melrose concept store

New 2012 Epic Comp complete bike goes for R55K at melrose concept store

is that the comp carbon edition?

This is 100% not true, a 29er hardtail is not nearly as soft as a 26er dual, infact its not soft at all, I have both and yes my 29er is a carbon frame.

Get off the tar man.:lol: Buy a road bike.:lol:

CHUBBA: will still get in touch to do a setup ride. Have been sick / travelling / riding!

Hijack on:

Thanks Crow, have a new toy to set up soon. Just need to finish building her already!

Hijack off: