Running as cycling training

In your position, I'd go with spinning.. At least keep your legs "cycling fit" and you can sit up and not use your wrist...

My 2cents worth :)

+1. This is what I did when I bust my shoulder snowboarding.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest agteros

Are you looking at this from a just general keeping fit point of view or are you wanting to keep cycle fit? I'm going to disagree with pretty much everyone else and say that running will not keep you cycling fit. Yes it will keep you "fit" but when you get back on the bike you must expect to have lost a lot of your cycling specific fitness.

Conversly it is commonly held wisdon that cycling does keep you run fit. In fact I did and Ironman without doing any running training due to an injury (stress fracture). I think it would be near impossible to do that the other way... i.e do an ironman with only run training and no cycling.

The run in the IM will decide how good your time is (or not). I did a little stats analysis a few years ago, ranking each leg for each contestant individually against the other competitors. Picked the best discipline on ranking for each. The top finishers overwhelmingly had the run as their best discipline. There were a few anomalies, but it that supported the saying that the IM is just a running race where you have to swim and cycle to get to the start.

Also, I got my road cycling seeding to A batch doing mostly running (cycling about every second weekend). Preparation for the 2010 94.7 consisted of 50km or more of running per week, and then 3 IDT sessions per week in the 3 weeks leading up to the event. Still managed a VERY comfortable sub 3 on that. :)

:unsure:

Hey I'm not saying cycling is going to turn you into an elite runner but it definately keeps the legs strong for running whereas running doesn't seem to do the same for cycling. Do some research (by which I mean googling :) ) and you'll find loads of anecdotal evidence and even a few studies that will back me up.

Guest agteros

Are you looking at this from a just general keeping fit point of view or are you wanting to keep cycle fit? I'm going to disagree with pretty much everyone else and say that running will not keep you cycling fit. Yes it will keep you "fit" but when you get back on the bike you must expect to have lost a lot of your cycling specific fitness.

Conversly it is commonly held wisdon that cycling does keep you run fit. In fact I did and Ironman without doing any running training due to an injury (stress fracture). I think it would be near impossible to do that the other way... i.e do an ironman with only run training and no cycling.

:unsure:

Double :unsure:

Kinda weird that elite runners do not use cycling as training for marathons etc!?

However, elite cyclists (especially the MTBers) use running to augment their fitness.....

That sure contradicts your statement camerons!

Hey I'm not saying cycling is going to turn you into an elite runner but it definately keeps the legs strong for running whereas running doesn't seem to do the same for cycling. Do some research (by which I mean googling :) ) and you'll find loads of anecdotal evidence and even a few studies that will back me up.

Sorry mate, not to try and argue, but there is the problem right there.

Cycling does little to nothing for running but running does loads for cycling.

The run in the IM will decide how good your time is (or not). I did a little stats analysis a few years ago, ranking each leg for each contestant individually against the other competitors. Picked the best discipline on ranking for each. The top finishers overwhelmingly had the run as their best discipline. There were a few anomalies, but it that supported the saying that the IM is just a running race where you have to swim and cycle to get to the start.

They would not be able to run so well off of the bike if they were not very bike fit. This fitness would be gained from biking not running.

Also, I got my road cycling seeding to A batch doing mostly running (cycling about every second weekend). Preparation for the 2010 94.7 consisted of 50km or more of running per week, and then 3 IDT sessions per week in the 3 weeks leading up to the event. Still managed a VERY comfortable sub 3 on that. :)

I don't know you but I'm assuming you've got a cycling back ground and have strong cycling legs to have managed this. Imagine how well you would have done if you had done cycle training and not running :)

Sorry mate, not to try and argue, but there is the problem right there.

Cycling does little to nothing for running but running does loads for cycling.

We're not arguing we're discussing it's what forums are for and why I am here... to learn.

You are not providing any evidence to back up your statement? Please elaborate because what you are saying is pretty much the exact opposite to what I know and have read.

Guest agteros

They would not be able to run so well off of the bike if they were not very bike fit. This fitness would be gained from biking not running.

I don't know you but I'm assuming you've got a cycling back ground and have strong cycling legs to have managed this. Imagine how well you would have done if you had done cycle training and not running :)

Not at all.... But I did get athletics / cross country colour to regional / provincial level at school. No sport or competition for 20 years after that, taken up running to shed a few pounds. Knees acted up, decided to cycle rather than persist with the torture imposed by the biokineticist. All of this since 2008.

But still... elite cyclists run for fitness, but the elite runners just run MORE for fitness....

But still... elite cyclists run for fitness, but the elite runners just run MORE for fitness....

This is completely different to how I've understood it because most runners are limited by their legs and the injury risk from exercising their aerobic systems as much as they could and adding the cycling allows it to happen.

However a cyclist is not limited in the same way so can get the full aerobic load just on the bike so they don't run.

We're not arguing we're discussing it's what forums are for and why I am here... to learn.

You are not providing any evidence to back up your statement? Please elaborate because what you are saying is pretty much the exact opposite to what I know and have read.

Funny I said that I am not looking to argue.

And then the attitude <_<

Where is your proof (evidence), firstly.

C'mon now, play the game properly, isn't that what forums are for.

My time here is done.

@ Knobbymech ride your @$$ of ,you will strike gold at Comrades.

@Cameroon es, if you want facts, ask me nicely and I will decide whether I would want to waste my time spending long winded messages to your fact finding mission.

1 hour of running = 2 hours of cycling.

After 1 month of intense running training for Cape Schools Week i got back on the bike and I couldn't get my heart rate above 170.

Seeing as its usually at 185 that was quite telling as to what running can do for you.

Cycling might help with the aerobic side of running but it does diddly squat for the legs.

I was racing mtb at provincial and national level when I decided to try my hand at running - I managed about 4km on my first run and couldn't walk for a week.

It was tragic - I hobbled along at about 7 mins/km whilst not even remotely out of breath.

Running, on the other hand, has helped my cycling tremendously - I find I am "harder" now and my body can handle more intense intervals on the bike than before.

Guest agteros

This is completely different to how I've understood it because most runners are limited by their legs and the injury risk from exercising their aerobic systems as much as they could and adding the cycling allows it to happen.

However a cyclist is not limited in the same way so can get the full aerobic load just on the bike so they don't run.

On a social level, yes sure. However, we are not all overweight Americans who need a doc with a stethoscope next to us all the way when we exercise. Cycling does give you the chance to exercise your cardio system more (for all the reasons you mention), but cycling alone does nothing for actual fitness.

You do not hear of the Rene Kalmers, Irvette van Blerks, Juan van Deventer, etc and then all the other longer distance runners out there doing any cycling for their fitness? Go read up on how many cyclists (other than Burry Stander, Kevin Evans) actually do run for fitness

Bull dust man, wear your heart monitor strap the next time you run.

Guest agteros

And that should be enough for "anecdotal evidence" ...!