Running as cycling training

I just started with running, and man, I can't believe how unfit I am.

I want to start doing trail running. At the moment I ride mtb over weekends between 20-40km and have also done a few events (35-40km). I feel cycling fit, but struggle with the running. This got me worried about my cycling. What training program would you recommend for a newbie trail runner?

My goal at the moment is to try and run 3 times a week, doing a distance of 2.5km per run. I know this it's a short distance, but I would rather build up slowly until I can run 5km continuously. The 2.5km run takes about 20 min, and includes stretches of power-walking as my shins burn so much. I really would like to get running-fit.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by FuelEX

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom line is that cycling is easier than running.

Look at the races - Mr and Mrs Joe Average can enter the 94.7 and finish. Not so with a marathon - 42km is rough!

Cycling is not weight bearing, does not put severe forces on the hips and knees, has gears to make uphills easier, you can relax on thw downhills etc. Running is tough!

Cycling will partially benefit your running - running will definitely benefit your cycling. That said - with limited time do the sport you want to excel at - cross training will only dilute your specific fitness if time is your limitation.

I just started with running, and man, I can't believe how unfit I am.

I want to start doing trail running. At the moment I ride mtb over weekends between 20-40km and have also done a few events (35-40km). I feel cycling fit, but struggle with the running. This got me worried about my cycling. What training program would you recommend for a newbie trail runner?

My goal at the moment is to try and run 3 times a week, doing a distance of 2.5km per run. I know this it's a short distance, but I would rather build up slowly until I can run 5km continuously. The 2.5km run takes about 20 min, and includes stretches of power-walking as my shins burn so much. I really would like to get running-fit.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

You are going in the right direction.

Do the 2.5 km's three times a week for now, walking and jogging, till you can cover the 2.5 with comfort, then add no more than 10 % a week.

Runners (normal shoes) = Many injuries.

Runners (barefoot or minimalist)= minimal injuries.

I ran long distance races for 10 years when I was younger. Then I switched to cycling for another 10 years. The past 6 years I have done triathlon. Every year I have tried new things.....

The past few seasons I have been cycling-crazy riding each and every race. I kakked in the run everytime when it came to 70.3 or IM.

This year I did the opposite. I ran a lot. I have to say that so far it is going very well. Just started cycling and I was amazed at how easy it was. Just my arse got sore.

Therefore I would have to say that if you had to choose one discipline for winter training then choose running.

Just my opinion......

i am going for a run this afternoon. :D

why ...because i can... and i burn more fat in 1 hour as with 1 hour of cycling.

:clap:

Edited by Skaap

I would have to say that if you had to choose one discipline for winter training then choose running.

+1

Trial running will make you strong!

However I would suggest you start with slow road running. Basically base training. As you get fitter you can go over to trial.

Running fitness is exponential. You will see progress a lot faster than with cycling.

The other advantage is that you need an hour for a good workout. With cycling you need double that.

i am going for a run this afternoon. :D

im also going for a run this afternoon, got blisters for bread 18km sunday,

running to my LBS to take back a stemlaugh.gif

im also going for a run this afternoon, got blisters for bread 18km sunday,

running to my LBS to take back a stemlaugh.gif

good luck, reen dit nie katte en honde daar ni?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

You are going in the right direction.

Do the 2.5 km's three times a week for now, walking and jogging, till you can cover the 2.5 with comfort, then add no more than 10 % a week.

Runners (normal shoes) = Many injuries.

Runners (barefoot or minimalist)= minimal injuries.

Everything he said, just one warning, if you go 5fingers, we will not talk to you anymore unless you make a healthy donation of testarossa's...

Guest agteros

Everything he said, just one warning, if you go 5fingers, we will not talk to you anymore unless you make a healthy donation of testarossa's...

Five Fingers are w-a-a-a-a-a-y too high tech :)

PS: I love my huaraches ;)

good luck, reen dit nie katte en honde daar ni?

thanks jong..hell the entry fee is R30, so 2 jaar terug kon die psfa +-32 kinders feed, nou net 16! ek dink dit is letterlik net 2 snye brood dans da nog niks op nie..R10 per brood, 3 brode, 60 snye/16 = 3,75 snye per kind as ek nou reg gecalculate het met 20 snye per brood

uuuuhm jaaaa..wel so effens ja... but going to run anycase..biggrin.gif

I have run regularly since I was in primary school, did marathons all over the world as well as major local marathons, then I had spinal injuries and couldn't run for over 18 months.

To keep sane I cycled and swam, I had no problems getting on a bike and riding 100kms easily or doing the Midmar mile, but when I started running again, I couldn't run 5 kms without stopping, it took me 6 months of training again to complete a 21 km race. Cycle and swim training didn't help my running one bit.

Running is very tough on the body though, especially as you get older your joints suffer a lot more, and I find I cant run distance on the road daily without getting injured, so I substitute two days road running for treadmill running, its easier on the joints and I recover better.

Maybe start by 40 minutes on the treadmill at your local VA before hitting the hard road and maybe injuring yourself, build slowly on that base, as Dangle said dont increase distance and intensity too quickly.

Guest agteros

I have run regularly since I was in primary school, did marathons all over the world as well as major local marathons, then I had spinal injuries and couldn't run for over 18 months.

To keep sane I cycled and swam, I had no problems getting on a bike and riding 100kms easily or doing the Midmar mile, but when I started running again, I couldn't run 5 kms without stopping, it took me 6 months of training again to complete a 21 km race. Cycle and swim training didn't help my running one bit.

Running is very tough on the body though, especially as you get older your joints suffer a lot more, and I find I cant run distance on the road daily without getting injured, so I substitute two days road running for treadmill running, its easier on the joints and I recover better.

Maybe start by 40 minutes on the treadmill at your local VA before hitting the hard road and maybe injuring yourself, build slowly on that base, as Dangle said dont increase distance and intensity too quickly.

And to add: First build distance (proper base), then intensity. Increase only one of the two at a time as well.

Intervals cannot be kept up year in, year out either, literature refers to 12 to 16 weeks (peaking for competition), then back to base. That said, I do know of people doing intervals just about all year round blush.gif