Running as cycling training

Guest agteros

Even old Barefoot Ted and Caballo have started steering away from those for personal use, especially on the trail.

Ted does however promote them heavily in his store.

Ooh no, I'm hoping they're not growing 'soft' in their old age :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have told you fellas repeatedly that Vibram is the way to go.

Took your advise. Had 2 long runs this weekend and well....AWESOME! :clap:

okay, so i have done a few sessions of running so far, nothing to write home about, and I can already feel a difference in fitness, and it helps with my biking a lot.

One question, I am still suffering from severe pain in my shins and calves while running (at around 2km it sets in) - do I still need to train a lot more? Is this normal for a beginner? Does it go away if you get more fitter? It is worrying me, I can't run for 5km without stopping every now and then because my legs burn so much. What I have also noticed is that my right foot gets that pins and needles feeling (feels like my foot is sleeping) if I continue to run when the burning starts. Can this be my shoes? Is my running "technique" wrong?

HELP PLEASE!! :unsure:

Edited by FuelEX

okay, so i have done a few sessions of running so far, nothing to write home about, and I can already feel a difference in fitness, and it helps with my biking a lot.

One question, I am still suffering from severe pain in my shins and calves while running (at around 2km it sets in) - do I still need to train a lot more? Is this normal for a beginner? Does it go away if you get more fitter? It is worrying me, I can't run for 5km without stopping every now and then because my legs burn so much. What I have also noticed is that my right foot gets that pins and needles feeling (feels like my foot is sleeping) if I continue to run when the burning starts. Can this be my shoes? Is my running "technique" wrong?

it can be shoes? what u running with saucony?

Edited by Skaap

I am running at the local parkie (trying to simulate trail running conditions)

The shoe is a light hiking/backpacking shoe... something similar to this (pic below), just a bit older...

Will a descent pair of trail running shoes sort out my problem?

post-5035-0-71803300-1316009216.jpg

Edited by FuelEX

you need compression socks.....

In my opinion it is probably that you are pronating and your shoe does not support it enough. The only qualification I have for this is that I had that exact problem and it was sorted out after getting "fitted" to the right shoe. No more shin splints.

A second maybe can be that you are going too hard too early. Small increments is key to improvement.

A last guess on the dead foot MIGHT be that your laces are too tight.

Not too sure about the compression socks...

Big fat guesses, but something to think about nonetheless

Edited by gadget

you need compression socks.....

No, he does NOT! Those muscles are weak and need strengthening! Taking it easy, and slowly building up mileage (did I say SLOWLY?) Will help. Also, as he is just starting out it is the ideal opportunity to learn NOT to heel strike. He should as flat.as.possible shoes, preferably as thin sole a possible, unless he has some genuine, medical doctor diagnosed issue (leg length discrepancy,etc)

Building mileage in running is a slow process (no more than 10% per week) but anything faster is just asking for Injuries!

Shoes are overrated.devil.gif

I'm going as flat and basic as can be. Currently running in a pair of home made sandals (aka huaraches) as running is a natural activity, so it stands to reason that we've evolved to do it 'out the box'. Our surfaces are not THAT natural anymore, so all that is needed is a bit of protection against glass and other man made 'hurdles'

My 'shooz' :

No support, no firm sole, no toe to heel drop, just 3-5mm of flimsy rubber to keep my feet away from the glass on the road clap.gif

Luister Boesman. Is jy vanniekaap af?

You freaking Legend :D

Luister Boesman. Is jy vanniekaap af?

You freaking Legend :D

Not at all. Bly in Bobbejaansdorp in Gautengaleng :)

Have a look at this Runners World article "Strengthen Your Feet"

Also, do not lace your shoes up too tight.

I am running at the local parkie (trying to simulate trail running conditions)

The shoe is a light hiking/backpacking shoe... something similar to this (pic below), just a bit older...

Will a descent pair of trail running shoes sort out my problem?

Go run barefoot (as die parkie dit toelaat) promise you no more aches and pains