Running as cycling training

I've been cycling for just over 2 years and relatively fit (+-200Km week)normally finishing in the front half of the field during races. A couple of months ago I decided to have a quick run around the block, you know the army days 2.4km that we used to do between 10-12 minutes? well I could hardly walk the next couple of days I was so stiff! I could not believe that you could do a 100Km MTB on a Saturday morning and then have people over in the afternoon for a braai and think nothing of it, but yet go for a 2.4Km run and be broken for 2 days, Huh!

I now try and run about 3 times a week, and I certainly agree that it has increased my overall fitness. It also gives me serious appreciation for my bike!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And to add: First build distance (proper base), then intensity. Increase only one of the two at a time as well.

Intervals cannot be kept up year in, year out either, literature refers to 12 to 16 weeks (peaking for competition), then back to base. That said, I do know of people doing intervals just about all year round blush.gif

Indeed, that's the main thing, a good strong base will prevent later injury.

I always say for a new runner or even a fairly seasoned runner take the time and read the old running bible "Lore of Running" by Prof Tim Noakes. Bruce and Nick both won their Comrades on those principles and if its good enough for them, its good enough for me.

:lol: - Here's an piece from the Scientific American Journal of 1883.

"Running as an exercise can strengthen the limbs, develop the lungs, excercise the will and promote the circulation of blood. Care must be taken not to overdo. Running is well adapted to both young and old but not to those who are fat. Sedentary persons will find much enjoyment and benefit in it after the days work is ended. Girls can run as well as boys, and while they may not be as fast, they are much more graceful."

:lol: :lol: - I couldn't have said it better myself.

:lol: - Here's an piece from the Scientific American Journal of 1883.

"Running as an exercise can strengthen the limbs, develop the lungs, excercise the will and promote the circulation of blood. Care must be taken not to overdo. Running is well adapted to both young and old but not to those who are fat. Sedentary persons will find much enjoyment and benefit in it after the days work is ended. Girls can run as well as boys, and while they may not be as fast, they are much more graceful."

:lol: :lol: - I couldn't have said it better myself.

:thumbup: love that, and since its from a scientific journal I can repeat it - and apply it equally to cycling as well! ...

:thumbup: love that, and since its from a scientific journal I can repeat it - and apply it equally to cycling as well! ...

My wife spoke to me this morning about how intense her Pilates class was, yesterday....

This brings the qeustion, how good is Pilates for cycling...

I have run regularly since I was in primary school, did marathons all over the world as well as major local marathons, then I had spinal injuries and couldn't run for over 18 months.

To keep sane I cycled and swam, I had no problems getting on a bike and riding 100kms easily or doing the Midmar mile, but when I started running again, I couldn't run 5 kms without stopping, it took me 6 months of training again to complete a 21 km race. Cycle and swim training didn't help my running one bit.

Running is very tough on the body though, especially as you get older your joints suffer a lot more, and I find I cant run distance on the road daily without getting injured, so I substitute two days road running for treadmill running, its easier on the joints and I recover better.

Maybe start by 40 minutes on the treadmill at your local VA before hitting the hard road and maybe injuring yourself, build slowly on that base, as Dangle said dont increase distance and intensity too quickly.

Can relate, I've been doing some form of sport ever since I left the army back in 83 and running has always been a part of my fitness regime no matter what sport i was doing at the time. I twice stopped running voluntary and both times regretted it as it takes a long time to get running fit again. I think the Lore of Running states that for a beginner it takes your bones about 6 months to adapt to running.

WRT to running for cycling, well as a form of cross training or out of season training it’s great and imo is better than doing any other form of exercise.

Having said that there is no substitute for doing sport specific training i.e. if cycle then cycle.....

Has anybody read ChiRunning by Danny Dreyer? I haven't read it but a friend wants to get me into trail running and he recommended it.

Any thoughts?

On the cover it says "A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running".

I can definately confirm the difficulty of running, I'm fairly cycling fit but almost died running 3K's this morning!

In the September issue of Bicycling, on page 30, there is a article about cross training for cycling.

Running is great when you have limited time. Apparently a 30 - 45 minute moderate run gives you the same cardio as a 2 - 3 hour ride. Trail running is better than road running, as it strengthens your core muscles more.

Swimming is also good since it is a high-cardio workout, but doesn't put impact on your joints - great for recovery periods.

Gymming can also work well, but you have to stick to using your own body weight and a stability ball instead of heavy weights.

They recommend the following program:

Monday - Run easy for 30 minutes, or gym

Tuesday - Cycle 90 minutes

Wednesday - Run easy for 30 minutes

Thursday - Cycle 90 minutes

Friday - Run easy, or rest day

Saturday - Cycle 90 - 150 minutes

Sunday - Rest day

I reckon if you can jog for 30 - 45min every work morning and fit in a bit of cycling some afternoons and over the weekends that would be great

To add to the above, self as guinnea pig shows cycling is waaaay easier but needs more time for similar cardio benefits... even short shuffles have major benefits...

This winter I decided to try a bit of running since we had so much rain. I had a good cycling base but no running since age, uhm, ten??? So... long story short, after just 2/3 months of mostly 20min 'runs' 3x a week and the occasional hour (like 2/3 times) I got on the bike last Saturday and couldn't believe how easy the hills were! HRM proves it: didn't once go near 80%max which I would normally exceed and ave speed as good as when I left off??? Also did 2hrs where after a break like that an hour would be enough.

So monday went for a run with HRM and was astonished at what it showed: basically i think i was doing intervals all winter and probably increasing lactate threshold or something like that?? It's seriously worth doing as you get more for your time. Using a treadmill also helps you concentrate on stride and foot placement. Strengthening leg muscles like this also protects your knees.

I also found out I can hop on one leg at 10km/ hr (!) and that you WILL strain calf muscles if you try too much too soon!!

I'm curious to see now what happens if I keep that up while getting back to normal cycling routine. AND it's great to do something you thought you couldn't...

I'm a very strong runner and it def makes me better on the bike , i can skip training on the bike and still do good in races, you have to run 4 times a week and do atleast 2 speed sessions,

Guest agteros

I'm a very strong runner and it def makes me better on the bike , i can skip training on the bike and still do good in races, you have to run 4 times a week and do atleast 2 speed sessions,

Not so sure about the 'at least 2 speed sessions' .... it boils down to a percentages game...

If you look at the numbers from Jack Daniel's (this one is not from Tennessee, but holds a Ph.D.) Running Calculator; running at interval pace should be only 8% of your weekly running and at repetition pace 5%. Most of your running should be done at a easy pace (65-79% of weekly total)

One implementation of Daniels' formulas can be found on Runbayou. Please note that this is more geared towards endurance running and not shorter / sprinty types of running, like the shorter track events.

Also, with running it is imperative that you first build base (volume), I'd say at least about 6 weeks of easy running, before you add speed (interval/track) work.

Not so sure about the 'at least 2 speed sessions' .... it boils down to a percentages game...

If you look at the numbers from Jack Daniel's (this one is not from Tennessee, but holds a Ph.D.) Running Calculator; running at interval pace should be only 8% of your weekly running and at repetition pace 5%. Most of your running should be done at a easy pace (65-79% of weekly total)

One implementation of Daniels' formulas can be found on Runbayou. Please note that this is more geared towards endurance running and not shorter / sprinty types of running, like the shorter track events.

Also, with running it is imperative that you first build base (volume), I'd say at least about 6 weeks of easy running, before you add speed (interval/track) work.

Agreed. Nothing worse than running injuries from too much too soon as a novice runner. That ITB gonna bite you for a long time afterwards. Also make sure your shoes are correct, can't be running in your old fishing takkies

I ream somewhere that running requires different muscle groups or musculature than cycling.

And it is better to run during the off-season (of cycling racing) as a way to maintain cardiovascular fitness.

Apparently the musculature for running are the groups that support the cycling musculature.

So, if you have strong cycling goals, rather not run when it is racing time.

:)

Being a runner before I turned to cycling, I trust this approach.

So, I put on the Asics in off-season.

Edited by AirBender

Guest agteros

Agreed. Nothing worse than running injuries from too much too soon as a novice runner. That ITB gonna bite you for a long time afterwards. Also make sure your shoes are correct, can't be running in your old fishing takkies

Shoes are overrated.devil.gif

I'm going as flat and basic as can be. Currently running in a pair of home made sandals (aka huaraches) as running is a natural activity, so it stands to reason that we've evolved to do it 'out the box'. Our surfaces are not THAT natural anymore, so all that is needed is a bit of protection against glass and other man made 'hurdles'

My 'shooz' :

No support, no firm sole, no toe to heel drop, just 3-5mm of flimsy rubber to keep my feet away from the glass on the road clap.gif

Shoes are overrated.devil.gif

I'm going as flat and basic as can be. Currently running in a pair of home made sandals (aka huaraches) as running is a natural activity, so it stands to reason that we've evolved to do it 'out the box'. Our surfaces are not THAT natural anymore, so all that is needed is a bit of protection against glass and other man made 'hurdles'

My 'shooz' :

No support, no firm sole, no toe to heel drop, just 3-5mm of flimsy rubber to keep my feet away from the glass on the road clap.gif

NICE shoes !! Very brave, running has never come "naturally" to me so think i'll stick to my asics