XC vs Trail

Honkdonk

Come on, give it to me you bunch of know it alls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want the real definition and difference between cross country and trail riding!

What is it, why is it, why do you think it is what it is and what do you think you need for it and why.

Real life experiances and advice only thanks.

4" vs 5", flat vs riser, 2 x 10 vs 3 x 10, 26 vs 29 blah blah blah

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One man's XC is another's DH or AM or whatever... its a very personal thing. In my mind, its only purely defined in racing. Out riding with mates... its all semantics.

Just go out and ride, push the limits and ride...

XC is by definition comprised of multiple short, technical laps of the same course.

Marathon is a long, single day race where you cover distance over the countryside, from point A to point B.

Trail riding is when you go out for the enjoyment of the trail, and ride for the sake of riding. This forms the majority of what we do in RSA. Trail riding is, quite simply, riding the trails. Wherever you want to go.

Therefore - XC bikes require lack of weight, aggressive angles and less suspension travel to optimize speed over short, hilly courses while still being able to negotiate technical stuff (albeit slower and less gracefully than a trail bike would be able to)

Trail bikes don't need to be fast up the hills, they are just built for the enjoyment of the trail. Therefore, they have more travel, to make the ride more comfortable and to be able to soak up more technical sections...

Dave T, IMHO this is my take on the differences, XC is ridden over a short cuircuit. These days the aim is to get a lap ridden in about 14-16 minutes. I feel these trails should not be bike breaking technical but rather a tester of bike handling skills combined with speed. The race is decided over time with 2 and half hours being the target for elite riders.Trail riding is where there is a higher degree of technical from a obsticle point of view. I enjoy trail riding which cannot be done fast as the turns, drop offs,obstacles etc. need to be negotiated and this takes high technical ability ( and a lot of guts and no fear )It is facinating to see some of our elite riders as well as some juniors go at high speeds over such obsticles... just my 5c

Hmm. As I thought

Trail is for fun, XC is race, but you can race a XC course on a trail bike and have fun on the trail with a XC bike.

So here in Jozi where is Trail and what is XC?

Hmm. As I thought

Trail is for fun, XC is race, but you can race a XC course on a trail bike and have fun on the trail with a XC bike.

So here in Jozi where is Trail and what is XC?

I will have a stab

Van Gaalens - Trail

Rietvlei - XC

"High jack on" Hmmm....now at what point does trail become All mountain and when does AM turn into Free ride? "high jack off"

"High jack on" Hmmm....now at what point does trail become All mountain and when does AM turn into Free ride? "high jack off"

AM, you make your own trail when need be?

XC is when the roady converts feel safe and comfortable and dont have to dismount at the first hint of rocks or logs across the trail or fire road.

Trail is when roady converts discmount.

AM/freeride is when they soil their lycra.

XC is when the roady converts feel safe and comfortable and dont have to dismount at the first hint of rocks or logs across the trail or fire road.

good description :thumbup:

Please don't use the words AM and lycra in the same sentence. In some countries you could be shot for such reckless behaviour.