Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

After the Camps Bay thing, I currently feel that everybody in traffic is giving me the evil eye.

Oh ja, I am *** scared of delivery/panel vans at present!

I once say a video clip of a trials rider literally hopping up onto a panel van, riding over the roof and dropping of the other side like I would have gone over a brick. Time to start practicing those trials skills, you never know when you'll need it in the traffic? :whistling:

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Delivery vans and Putco/North Star busses are the bane of commuters in Pretoria. I give them a wide berth nowadays ... have had too many close calls.

Ever noticed how the wind usually changes direction towards the evening just to make your trek home a lot more "prolonged"

I couldnt handle it any longer. 11 days ago was my last ride, due to work travels and rain when I returned.

The only time I wont commute is when its raining when I wake up, dont care if it rains when I need to go home. This morning it wasnt raining :clap: but its defos going to rain later :whistling:

Fun times :thumbup:

Delivery vans and Putco/North Star busses are the bane of commuters in Pretoria. I give them a wide berth nowadays ... have had too many close calls.

Best place to be when they are around is behind them.

From Blouberg to Obs around 21km one way no ups that is worth mentioning.

Biggest surprise factor for me is that it seems that taxis are more considerate and friendly the any other type of driver. Yes commuters are friendly, must invest in booties as i found last winter my open finger gloves are much warmer then my shoes :oops: . Also invested in a carrier, my wife thinks it looks bad but it's functional so i don't really mind what it looks like.

Pics of carrier please!

Biggest surprise factor for me is that it seems that taxis are more considerate and friendly the any other type of driver. Yes commuters are friendly, must invest in booties as i found last winter my open finger gloves are much warmer then my shoes :oops: . Also invested in a carrier, my wife thinks it looks bad but it's functional so i don't really mind what it looks like.

I've always said I far rather prefer taxis over boys and girls in SUVs and Bakkies. Most taxis are friendly, but even the aggressive ones respect you and know how to drive around you.

Still waiting for pics... :drool:

Hi Loupie sorry about taking so long this is what it looks like, will upload different pics if you want this is off the net, can't link their pic :blush: I bought mine from city cycles in century city for around R200 if i remember corretly. the other option is the top peak one but that goes for close to R700 or R800 depending on where you buy

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Bicycle-after-stacking-shelf-luggage-rack-bicycle-quick-release-after-stacking-shelf-mountain-bike-tailstock-ride/1631809804.html

It slides over your seat tube and fastens with a quick release.

The backpack commuting is a very Saffa thing for some reason. the euros is on the other hand, are very much carrier/pannier oriented.

Hi Loupie sorry about taking so long this is what it looks like, will upload different pics if you want this is off the net, can't link their pic :blush: I bought mine from city cycles in century city for around R200 if i remember corretly. the other option is the top peak one but that goes for close to R700 or R800 depending on where you buy

http://www.aliexpres...1631809804.html

It slides over your seat tube and fastens with a quick release.

I have a new bar with the quick release mechanism for anybody who wants it. Free.

It does not have the flat carrier on it as I used it on a mod for my tourer. Welcome to take it off me. I am sure a flat rack can be screwed/bolted on top.

I have a new bar with the quick release mechanism for anybody who wants it. Free.

It does not have the flat carrier on it as I used it on a mod for my tourer. Welcome to take it off me. I am sure a flat rack can be screwed/bolted on top.

Sepia, that sounds awesome. Will give you a shout next time when I come through durbs... :whistling:

Mad Sci, Gonna have to fix something like that to my roadie! After I fixed the fork and everything else that broke in the fall, all it needs is one of those!

Epic!

Sepia, that sounds awesome. Will give you a shout next time when I come through durbs... :whistling:

Mad Sci, Gonna have to fix something like that to my roadie! After I fixed the fork and everything else that broke in the fall, all it needs is one of those!

Epic!

It is rated up to 9kg which should be sufficient for clothes and such, I tend to leave the laptop locked to my desk as i don't need another target on my bike back. Plus it's easy to remove over weekends

It is rated up to 9kg which should be sufficient for clothes and such, I tend to leave the laptop locked to my desk as i don't need another target on my bike back. Plus it's easy to remove over weekends

I'm sure a welder and some rods could possibly increase the rated weight capability. :ph34r:

Edited by Loupie

Does anyone else suffer from rain-induced helmet stench? My helmet is due for replacement anyway but that ain't gonna happen until the rain season is over. I've showered with it several times and after the shower it'll be fine until the next rain. I've had this happen on several helmets in the past, some pretty well aged and smelling fine, but a couple of rain soakings and odour develops. I've also noticed that once my riding shirts get rain soaked they develop this ammonia-like odour that never leaves again.