Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Read this topic yesterday and got inspired to start commuting again today. Lekker man lekker

:thumbup: good on you

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Things I have personally learnt:

• The wind is always against me on the way home (challenge accepted)
  • If I see someone on a mtb I have to chase them down (I commute on a roadie)
  • If I get a puncture, I only discover it in the morning as I am ready to leave and running late
  • Keeping a spare pair of socks and undies at the office is a must
  • Cars are surprisingly polite/understanding if you don't ride like a ****
  • When you get caught in a sneaky rain shower it is awesome
  • I hate it when I have to drive my car
  • I get to work in a foul mood if I drive
  • It's easier getting up in the morning when I know I will be riding
  • I love my bike even more!

Edited by alleyne

On Tuesday I had a near miss. I was riding along a very overgrown footpath when I sensed some movement just in front of my wheel and thought snake.

I hit the brakes and performed an unintentional nose wheelie. While I was hovering on the brink of an endo the movement turned out to be brood of tiny guinea fowl chicks.

Luckily I managed to avoid hurting any of them.

Now I have a new skill - nose wheelie

• The wind is always against me on the way home (challenge accepted)
  • If I see someone n a mtb I have to chase them down (I commute on a roadie)
  • If I get a puncture, I only discover it in the morning as I am ready to leave and running late
  • Keeping a spare pair of socks and undies at the office is a must
  • Cars are surprisingly polite/understanding if you don't ride like a ****
  • When you get caught in a sneaky rain shower it is awesome
  • I get to work in a fowl mood if I drive

I have the same issue with the wind...

I am more of a roadie, but commute with my MTB...If I see a roadie I have to chase them down or any other cyclist as a matter of fact. The other morning I was racing my boss in her car to the office for about 10km, we arrived at Mutualpark at the same time...I still had to go shower however.

Edited by Hearts*

• I get to work in a fowl mood if I drive

+1 , so true

First ever commute to work :D Took me 12 mins to get to the office instead of the normal 40mins +

:( Forgot my belt at home

Nice on the commute, Just a hint that works for me, I leave a pair of shoe & a belt at work and keep another set at home for the day i use my vehicle, that way it is less stuff to cart back and forth and i have security in the fact that i always have a set at work.

Got taken out completely today by a kid coming around a corner on the wrong side of the road on his bicycle, fortunately on my mtb so no damage to the bike.

I think he understood my French quite nicely.

First ever commute to work :D Took me 12 mins to get to the office instead of the normal 40mins +

:( Forgot my belt at home

NICE!!!

When I start commuting, it'll take me slightly longer. I will also have a mountain to deal with on the way home.

BUT.....

I will be on my bike, so who cares?

I learned today to have a (frozen) water bottle in my throwing hand at a certain intersection on my route to work. I swear that if another car runs the light after it's green for ME, he/she will get a 500g ice block through his/her windscreen.

Full waterbottle works just fine - doesn't have to be frozen...... take photos.... :)

NICE!!!

When I start commuting, it'll take me slightly longer. I will also have a mountain to deal with on the way home.

BUT.....

I will be on my bike, so who cares?

Yes a 8km hill always gets me on the way home. Going to work is a pleasure, no sweat. It is always the hill that kills me after work. Take the *** at work out on the hill I say.

I started this week. Spot S/S with Gates Drive. Changed the tyres to 35 Cyclocross. As silent as a landmine. Still working on the logistics re. briefcase and rain.

I have learnt 2 things this week:

1. I am currently cycling faster from Blouberg to work than it's taken me in the car (55 minute cycle, >1hr in the car!)

AND

2. I must not forget to check my limit screws on the gears from time to time... BLEH (Pretty stoked I managed to avoid the off when the rear wheel locked up at about 30km/h)

post-10958-0-26814300-1392273176_thumb.jpg

Found out yesterday that it is possible to get a sidewall cut from a car bumber. Some stoopid biaatch nearly flattened me. I squeaked by but she hit my rear wheel. Looked fine but burst a couple hundred meters further on.

I did hurl some invective.