Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know the bloke who cycle past the CSIR on a Avalanche bike.

Helped him today with a flat tyre. At the north gate of the CSIR. He said he is working near Menlyn.

oh ya some tosser in a Porsche thought he was funny on my trip home last night, hooting at me like mad while I was as far left as possible. he came past me way to close, side mirror almost brushing my elbow. He then turned into the Spar parking about 200m down the road. It took all my strength to not give the Porsche a fancy pinstripe with my house key!!

Tell me how you controlled yourself to not do just that?

Do you all own multiple sets of winter gear for commuting? I mean like arm warmers, wind jacket, leg warmers? This could get expensive...

2 sets arm warmers

2 sets leg warmers

2 sets winter gloves

1 balaclava - but actually need 2

2 sets ear warmers

1 Wind break jacket

1 thermal vest : t-shirts work just as well.

2 sets arm warmers

2 sets leg warmers

2 sets winter gloves

1 balaclava - but actually need 2

2 sets ear warmers

1 Wind break jacket

1 thermal vest : t-shirts work just as well.

For me, a proper polypropylene thermal vest / base layer, works better than a t-shirt. I find that as soon as I sweat even a little, the t-shirt stays wet and then the wind chill makes it very cold. It does not wick the moisture away from your skin at all. If I don't work hard enough to sweat, then, yes, a t-shirt works just as well.

For me, a proper polypropylene thermal vest / base layer, works better than a t-shirt. I find that as soon as I sweat even a little, the t-shirt stays wet and then the wind chill makes it very cold. It does not wick the moisture away from your skin at all. If I don't work hard enough to sweat, then, yes, a t-shirt works just as well.

I found the same, but luckily already have 2 sets of under armour vests. They are magic. I only have one set of leg warmers and one wind jacket though.... So every second day is a bit chilly. ;-)

The trick is to lift the moister of your skin.

Polypropylene is the best for this.

What the man said :thumbup:

Or Merino wool.

Marino and angora have Intresting properties, they can maintain a high heat ratio, even when wet.

However, if you are not covering it with a good quality shell, there will still be a high wind chill.

Ok, some useless info, or for me, really interesting stuff...

Untreated wool, Marino, Angora or most other types, have an oil called lanolin, this oil keeps the wool water proof'ish.

So the jerseys the Irish and Scottish fisherman wore, were spun out of that, the same as old tweed jackets, and the thicker and tighter the weave, the more waterproof and warm the garment. So fishermen would get thick ones knitted, golfers and hunters thinner with tighter weaves.

They would also wear woolen under shirts, the fishermen had what might be considered a skin tight base layer. The golfers and hunters wore woolen shirts, the tie came from the fact that they wanted a drink after the round or hunt, and the club insisted on jacket and tie. So the jacket evolved to what we now know and the scarf became a tie.

If you were wondering...