Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Ja, I'm talking about the thermal underclothes specifically. I’ve used all the fancy shmancy factory made threads over the years. But I always come back to Merino. Incredible anti-moisture properties, doesn't hold any smell at all. I've even used for white water kayaking in sub-zero temps.

Look out for Merino thermal undershirts, gloves, socks, etc. If you see them, get them.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, some useless info, or for me, really interesting stuff...

Untreated wool, Marino, Angora or most other types, have an oil called lanolin, this oil keeps the wool water proof'ish.

So the jerseys the Irish and Scottish fisherman wore, were spun out of that, the same as old tweed jackets, and the thicker and tighter the weave, the more waterproof and warm the garment. So fishermen would get thick ones knitted, golfers and hunters thinner with tighter weaves.

They would also wear woolen under shirts, the fishermen had what might be considered a skin tight base layer. The golfers and hunters wore woolen shirts, the tie came from the fact that they wanted a drink after the round or hunt, and the club insisted on jacket and tie. So the jacket evolved to what we now know and the scarf became a tie.

If you were wondering...

The 'waterproof' qualities are really something else. Like I say, I used to be a competitive canoeist and when we trained on the river through winter, it was my Merino base layers that got me through being submerged in freezing water and then blasted by sub-zero winds while on the water (I lived in Gauteng for 10 years and I remember the days carrying my boat over rock hard iced-over mud banks down to the river to paddle the rapids). A Merino base shirt can be dunked in water and doesn't 'hold' any of it. It is pretty much almost still dry. You could submerge it in water, pull it out and give it a wring and it will be dry. It might sound like a tall story, but I'm serious. Nothing keeps in the warmth, and keeps out the sweat and moisture like Merino.

I see that Capestorm (at Outdoor Warehouse and Sportsmans Warehouse) make a 50% Merino and 50% polypropylene base layer range.

In South Africa, our Eastern Cape Karoo farms are where our Merino sheep come from. If you are ever in the area of Cradock/Queenstown, look out for the local farm stores selling Merino clothing. I've still got a couple of thick Merino socks that I use when hiking in the Berg. Even in the snow, toes are toasty, dry and smell-free.

In South Africa, our Eastern Cape Karoo farms are where our Merino sheep come from. If you are ever in the area of Cradock/Queenstown, look out for the local farm stores selling Merino clothing. I've still got a couple of thick Merino socks that I use when hiking in the Berg. Even in the snow, toes are toasty, dry and smell-free.

I was born and bred in the Prince Albert (Southern) part of the Karoo and I still have a little hidey hole on a Merino and Angora farm there, so, yes, this is another plug for MERINO! :thumbup: (I should be ashamed for promoting polypropylene :blush: )

I was born and bred in the Prince Albert (Southern) part of the Karoo and I still have a little hidey hole on a Merino and Angora farm there, so, yes, this is another plug for MERINO! :thumbup: (I should be ashamed for promoting polypropylene :blush: )

I spent my school career in a boarding school in Grahamstown. I had a good mate who was a farmer from Tarkastad and I have many good memories of times spent on his farm. Those Merino sheep are magnificent animals.

post-22004-0-28509800-1402152641_thumb.jpg

OK enough about sheep. Back to the subject of commuting.

My apologies for the thread highjack :blush: .

French cyclists being paid to ride to work

Pilot scheme in France sees cyclists being paid 25 cents per km ridden to work to entice them away from car use.

From Cycling Weekly UK

6 June 2014

Cyclists in France are being paid to cycle to work in a pilot scheme that hopes to lure people away from making car journeys.

Riders will be paid 25 cents per kilometre travelled. That means a cyclist can earn €50 (R725) over a month if they cycle a roundtrip of 10 kilometres each working day.

19 companies and organisations making up 10,000 workers are part of the trial.

For the trial to be extended feedback from employers and employees will be sought on the changes in the number of commutes by bike; the modes of transport given up in favour of cycling; favourable or unfavourable factors concerning the trial’s effectiveness; and material facilities implemented in different types of organisations.

Britain has a similar initiative with Cycle to Work, while Belgium and Sweden have also introduced methods to increase the number of two-wheeled commutes.

-----------------------------------

Man, what a brilliant idea.

Well done to the Europeans. We will never see innovative thinking like this in SA.

Phew, "discovered" this thread Friday evening and now I have finally read all the post, albeit speed read through. Thanks to everybody with the tips, shared experiences and pics, as I felt so inspired that I am planning a commute or two this week.

Went for a ride on the mtb to work and back this morning (just to check the time and possible routes) and no matter which one of two of the most direct routes I take, it is going to take all of about 25min at a very easy pace, so it is very doable (I raise my helmet 3 times in respect for those of you doing looong commutes!!) . One plus is the sharp decent on the second route where I measured just just over 60km/h, but that must have only lasted for a few seconds. Whilst short, it still puts a BIG smile on my face :D .

Ok, so I have done it, but the day seems faaaaaar from over. What I have learned so far is:

Read all the tips the Hubbers gave, remember it and implement it. That would have saved me going without deoderant, but luckily there is a shop across the road.

Thinking you will have to go "commando" and then finding your underpants deeply tucked away in the backpack, results in a smile...

Riding in jeans is not all that fun. I did not plan to put my foot out of the office today, but things changed since arriving at the office and then very urgently needed to see a contractor 5km from the office. Going into a meeting with lycra would not have worked, but I kept the cycling shoes on. Nobody noticed... :-) Only when I left I heard a comment : (gasp) Did you cycle to here (gasp) ??

At 5h30 in 7C with a strong wind at your back makes your mtb very easily cruize at speed greater than 30km/h. This gives me a smile the size of a 29er

Layered clothing does not let you feel that 7C... :-)

A single white LED strapped on top of the helmet makes seeing things in the dark much easier.

Biggest lesson : I am having some serious fun!!!! :-)

Thinking you will have to go "commando" and then finding your underpants deeply tucked away in the backpack, results in a smile...

A single white LED strapped on top of the helmet makes seeing things in the dark much easier.

Sneaky buggers those underpants! Always seem to be hiding.

More lights means more visible, and that means safer in traffic. Recommend more lighting if possible.

An extra pair of underwear in the locker will be handy one day. Believe me you will forget it one day at home.

Freeballing is also nice sometimes :w00t:

Had a guy this morning driving right next to me with his SUV in such a way so that no other vehicles e.g. TAXIS don't sneak up behind me and take me out, he did this until i was reasonably save during peak traffic. When he drove on he had these little bicycle stickers on his rear window. Just shows you, cyclists driving cars looking out for each other.

Had a guy this morning driving right next to me with his SUV in such a way so that no other vehicles e.g. TAXIS don't sneak up behind me and take me out, he did this until i was reasonably save during peak traffic. When he drove on he had these little bicycle stickers on his rear window. Just shows you, cyclists driving cars looking out for each other.

I often do that down main Road Southern Suburbs, Cape Town, especially when it's dark and wet and freezing like this morning. The fact that it was an easy on the eye girl on a ss helped.