Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Been contemplating whether or not I should start commuting to work and back again, just to get some extra km's in. Then there's the thought that I could get bike-jacked, not that I've got the fanciest bike around, but there's still a possibility.

You could get bike-jacked on a normal training ride as well.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been contemplating whether or not I should start commuting to work and back again, just to get some extra km's in. Then there's the thought that I could get bike-jacked, not that I've got the fanciest bike around, but there's still a possibility.

Was also my main concern before I started. But going through the City, even Scummyside, people are courteous, there are enough cars around. Fountains still makes my neck prickle though.

Was also my main concern before I started. But going through the City, even Scummyside, people are courteous, there are enough cars around. Fountains still makes my neck prickle though.

Used to ride through Sunnyside on weekend rides early years but became restless in the later years to go there early morning over weekends. But week mornings is not a problem. The last couple of months that I was in SA I used to cycle via Fountains and yes I was getting more and more uneasy using those roads.

From bikejacking perspective, I feel safer on commutes than on weekend riding. Commute is peak traffic hours, lots of people around. 

From bikejacking perspective, I feel safer on commutes than on weekend riding. Commute is peak traffic hours, lots of people around. 

It's just that there's a route I used to take to work where there were some undesirable looking folk who would walk along the route. There is another route I could take (Fields Hill), but it's too busy with traffic in the mornings. I don't mind traffic when I'm on my bike, but not riding down Fields Hill.

Think I would call that a false sense of security.  These guys are so cheeky, The rob people in peak traffic.  I have had one incident that could have turned nasty once in peak traffic.

Think I would call that a false sense of security.  These guys are so cheeky, The rob people in peak traffic.  I have had one incident that could have turned nasty once in peak traffic.

Of course they do. And none of all the people around would probably help you.

If you were a bikejacker, sho would you chooswe to jack? The person on the singletrack just off William Nicol on his way to the river crossing, or the one that's on the singletrack on Delta park with lots of runners and dogs around? 

Do it bro. Get yourself a cheap SS and some mace if you are worried about getting jacked. 

My moermeter sal ook in die rooi wees. Best of all, she's probably telling everybody that will listen about the rude cyclist that snuck up on her.

Rude cyclist haha. No more like self righteous cockroach as I have heard before! 

Of course they do. And none of all the people around would probably help you.

If you were a bikejacker, sho would you chooswe to jack? The person on the singletrack just off William Nicol on his way to the river crossing, or the one that's on the singletrack on Delta park with lots of runners and dogs around? 

I agree, but the possibility is still there in traffic.  As I was close to an incident myself I would not be rest assured in traffic.

On all this possibility of being bike-jacked: there's a possibility of anything. It's possible you could be car-jacked too. Your house could get broken into while you're asleep. But you go on with life and do what has to be done. The only thing to fear is fear itself. Courage is not the absence of fear, but doing things despite fear. Just take proper precautions and get out there.

On punctures. I've just been reading a book called "A Bike Ride" by an old biddy called Anne Mustoe. At age 54, in 1987, she bought a bike and set out (without much experience) to ride from England, through Europe, through India, to Thailand, and then across America. In 12 000 miles she had, as I recall, 6 punctures and used 2 tyres. I remember having Michelins on my Peugeot Sting back then, and they lasted 4 or 5 years. There's so much *** on the roads these days; we really have become a grubby society.

I suppose so.

Problem with getting bike jacked on a commute is you'll probably lose your gear/backpack too... and for those with a notebook or other valuables, it could be nasty

Problem with getting bike jacked on a commute is you'll probably lose your gear/backpack too... and for those with a notebook or other valuables, it could be nasty

Agreed. It's just my phone, wallet, and camera that I'd be worried about, since those are the only things I really take with me to work. Think I might just invest in some mace, or maybe a taser if I do decide to commute to work and back again.

Came across this guys channel, a prolific vlogger of high quality and  w0w stunning videography, a YouTube / new media star, and a cyclist in NYC

Parents in Law live in CT, they had their wedding there, hence the "I Love Camps Bay" sticker on his laptop

this morning cycling with arm and leg warmers, buff and jacket. will be sweating it out back home...so not looking forward to it, but once i'm cycling it's all good ;)