Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

...So I got a tube protruding out of my long to relieve pressure and I won another two days in hospital....

Were you awake when they inserted the chest drain? I punctured my right lung too. Inserting the chest drain while awake was the worst pain of my life.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried cycling there once...  Never again...  There are just no rules left on SA roads.  People are doing just what they feel like.  Had one old ass hole with his BMW 5 series (old shape) that tried to push me off the road there.  Reason...  He tried to pass all the traffic waiting to go straight on Lynnwood.

And that is not even with the ground works next to the road there now.  Next time if we move, we will have to look for a place not to the East of Lynnwood as it is just a global stuff up going to the east of Hans Strijdom.

If I had to cycle on Lynnwood road it was normally early morning and only up to the entrance of Wapadrand where I cut through there and joined Hans Strijdom at the traffic light below Diep in die Berg.

If I had to cycle on Lynnwood road it was normally early morning and only up to the entrance of Wapadrand where I cut through there and joined Hans Strijdom at the traffic light below Diep in die Berg.

Mornings is a bit of a problem.  Like this morning.  Almost killed a commuter that decided to jump a red light.  He had no lights nor reflective clothing on.

If it was on the bicycle I would have been taken out.  I wonder if I should check the maps to use that route you just mentioned to get out to the back of Hazeldean.  Will work a route based on that...  See if I can do that as an alternative.  Bit longer, but worth the time in the saddle.

Mornings is a bit of a problem.  Like this morning.  Almost killed a commuter that decided to jump a red light.  He had no lights nor reflective clothing on.

If it was on the bicycle I would have been taken out.  I wonder if I should check the maps to use that route you just mentioned to get out to the back of Hazeldean.  Will work a route based on that...  See if I can do that as an alternative.  Bit longer, but worth the time in the saddle.

I am not that familiar with the roads on that side of Hans Strijdom.  But I do now Lynnwood very well and I think anything to avoid the intersection with Hans Strijdom is better.

I've learned that a lot of cyclists out there will say hi when I'm cycling, but won't when I'm running. 

I've learned that a lot of cyclists out there will say hi when I'm cycling, but won't when I'm running. 

That's probably because:

1. You're running

2. You're not riding a bike.

The few times a runner will be greeted by a cyclist are if it's before 0600 and very cold or wet or both (shared discomfort), or if a runner is in so much obvious pain that it looks almost worth it again, shared discomfort.

Most of the communication between a commuting cyclist and a runner will be loud as a runner normally has a headset in and is all over the pathway.

:whistling:

Not always...

so yesterday was my last day before my 6 week cycling break and i fall slipping off the pavement to avoid pedestrians :( i jumped straight up and cycle as i'm in a rush to visit my gran during visiting hours and only noticed then that i skinned my right knee and top of my left calf ;(

this morning i woke up with a scratchy throat. the last time i couldn't cycle for 3 weeks i got very sick, dosing myself vitC now . does any one get sick after not cycling for awhile?

my 8 month daily commute to cbd has come to an end, during which i only didn't cycle < 20 days. this morning i saw 7 cyclist on the road and i miss it already

so yesterday was my last day before my 6 week cycling break and i fall slipping off the pavement to avoid pedestrians :( i jumped straight up and cycle as i'm in a rush to visit my gran during visiting hours and only noticed then that i skinned my right knee and top of my left calf ;(

this morning i woke up with a scratchy throat. the last time i couldn't cycle for 3 weeks i got very sick, dosing myself vitC now . does any one get sick after not cycling for awhile?

my 8 month daily commute to cbd has come to an end, during which i only didn't cycle < 20 days. this morning i saw 7 cyclist on the road and i miss it already

So why do you only commute 8 months?

As soon as you up your exercise, your immune system take a temporary dip. 

As soon as you up your exercise, your immune system take a temporary dip. 

Sleep is very important. A good nights rest normally helps your body recover.  Especially when you are commuting as you still have to concentrate and work during the day so your body does not get a chance to recover then.

Some more experiences...

• Fountains Valley is a wind tunnel in the morning :eek:
  • Found a new section that is 1km longer than my normal commute, but slashes 7min from my time? :o
Edited by Belgarath

Some more experiences...

• Fountains Valley is a wind tunnel in the morning :eek:
  • Found a new section that is 1km longer than my normal commute, but slashes 7min from my time? :o

I found that since we moved here and now travel more outside the city boundaries,  I cycle more in distance however my time spent on the bike compared to distance is less.  In SA I used to spend in the area of about 8 - 9 hours on the bike in a week and ended cycling about 180 km a week.  Now I cycle about 220 km per week and spend about 7 hours on the bike in a week.

So why do you only commute 8 months?

8 months since i moved to head office in the cbd and have been recording my time and distance. I've been commuting to different sites all around the southern suburbs for the last 3 years most have been under 10km from home.

That's probably because:

1. You're running

2. You're not riding a bike.

The few times a runner will be greeted by a cyclist are if it's before 0600 and very cold or wet or both (shared discomfort), or if a runner is in so much obvious pain that it looks almost worth it again, shared discomfort.

Most of the communication between a commuting cyclist and a runner will be loud as a runner normally has a headset in and is all over the pathway.

:whistling:

Not always...

Haha, thanks for this. You're clearly not a runner :') 

Haha, thanks for this. You're clearly not a runner :') 

Glad you took it in the spirit it was intended :) Humour is often lost on some.

And yes, I am not a runner but appreciate those who are, generally with some gentle ribbing.

Just be thankful I didn't use the J word...

Glad you took it in the spirit it was intended :) Humour is often lost on some.

And yes, I am not a runner but appreciate those who are, generally with some gentle ribbing.

Just be thankful I didn't use the J word...

A jogger perhaps :whistling: