Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the sound of that ... might well try for the same .... though I might have to extend my commute route a little to achieve this.

Yea me too.

I try ride 5 days a week, but it's only 8,5km if I take the most direct route.

I had my sights on 7500 this year. Still within a shot but might get difficult.  But also thinking 10 000 next year.  That however will have to be done on more weekend rides.  I have hardly done any this year.  Also a virtual indoor trainer can also help with that.  Thinking about entering a race in Italy with some mates for July so that will force me to get more milage in on weekends.  I should also have a better start to my commutes next year as I am better kitted out than beginning this year.

Edited by Bateleur1

Learnt a "commute" does not have to be from your house to the office ..... or so I tell myself.

Left home, Bellville, before 6:00 and started the blue route of the Hermanus trails at 7:21.  On the return loop I repeated some of the sections in the forest - just because I could :)  Even had fun going up a grade 4 to 8 hill to do the repeat.

First time that I actually RIDE a 1:04 trail, only 26 seconds stationary (when I confirmed the route on one of the display boards)

Have done longer routes, but these all included lots of "photo stops" ...

JIP, as only a commuter can appreciate .... basin bath, got dressed, and was nice and fresh for my 10:00 meeting in Kleinmond.

JIP .... Bellville to Kleinmond via Hermanus trails ....   :clap:   :devil:   :thumbup:

(for those that dont know the area - that is about a 75km detour)

Edited by ChrisF

***. Forgot my jeans. 

I once had the same problem and ended up 'borrowing' a security lady's spare trousers after asking around if anyone could help! Had some good laughs... Now 4-5 pairs live in my locker! 

***. Forgot my jeans. 

you live and learn ......... so you wearing shorts today or running down to the local store to buy a new pair?

a fair collection of my work clothing has been bought thanks to forgetting to pack something in.

Fortunately, I work in Muizenberg. If I'd be wearing a cycling bib as a hat, people would still not look up. It is exactly what you think of Muizenberg: Surfing boards in the rack and a barefoot stroll to the coffee machine. 

I was going for some repeats on the beach for lunch, so I brought running shorts. Forrest Gump represent. 

So - my new gripe (I have so so many) I have while commuting is when motorists overtake you in a circle. I'm not talking about those big circles with multiple lanes and monuments in the middle (those have their own issues) - I'm talking about those mini circles where they haven't actually widened the road while plonking a massive obstruction in the middle of the intersection.

Why is it that motorists think they can squeeze you going when entering or exiting the roundabout? I generally try yo take the lane, but sometimes I try be all nice and courteous and then the next thing you know you're making life or death decisions about hopping the curb, leaning on the car, or the best way to tuck your arms in when you fall. WTF??

So - my new gripe (I have so so many) I have while commuting is when motorists overtake you in a circle. I'm not talking about those big circles with multiple lanes and monuments in the middle (those have their own issues) - I'm talking about those mini circles where they haven't actually widened the road while plonking a massive obstruction in the middle of the intersection.

Why is it that motorists think they can squeeze you going when entering or exiting the roundabout? I generally try yo take the lane, but sometimes I try be all nice and courteous and then the next thing you know you're making life or death decisions about hopping the curb, leaning on the car, or the best way to tuck your arms in when you fall. WTF??

I always move towards the middle of the road (clearly indicating) before I get to a narrowing circle. Some cars just don't have patience and I have been squeezed out a few times.

I have a similar gripe with cars overtaking just before a sharp corner... they slam on brakes and not to crash in the back of them I have to slam on brakes to or come next to them... grrrrr!!!

Sadly not just whilst during commuting.....

I think it reinforces the inability of the cage drivers to judge the room that we take up and require. Answers on a postcard.......

Yip, that is why I normaly move to the middle of the lane before entering the circle .... yes they don't like it at all.

Edited by Bateleur1