Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Roads eat MTB tryes for breakfast.

Any suggestions? I don't have a spare set of wheels and I'm not willing to changes my tyres every Saturday when I go MTBing and back again for the weekly commutes. What's a good set of tyres that's hardy on the roads and provide decent riding off the roads? If there is such a thing...

Schwalbe Marathon Extreme. Brilliant on tar, lasts for ever and the tread pattern works well off-road, even loose rocks. Did the commute to town then Table Mountain trails on these in the morning.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

..........is that a green traffic light is your enemy, don't chase it as it only results in sore legs.

But it makes you STRONG if you allow it :)

But it makes you STRONG if you allow it :)

i know that's why I keep doing it, it's like forced sprint intervals.

Commute training

Strength and Distance ride

Goal

To build both leg strength and pedalling efficiency so that turn-for-turn of the cogs you cover more distance.

What to do

After a 5-minute warm-up, ride at a low cadence (pedalling slowly in a high gear) for 5 minutes then ride for 5 minutes at a high cadence (pedaling fast with a small amount of resistance). Keep alternating for the whole ride. Then cool down.

Complete strength ride

Goal

Build your leg strength and size so your legs look more like trunks than twigs in those ridiculous Lycra cycling shorts.

What to do

After a 5-minute warm-up, ride for 10 minutes at a low cadence then ride at a normal cadence for 5 minutes to recover. Keep alternating for the entire ride. Then cool down.

Challenging distance ride

Goal

To increase your pedaling efficiency by covering more distance with each turn of the pedals. The quick-passing scenery will ensure you don’t fall asleep at the wheels.

What to do

Alternate between 5-minute blocks of riding at a high cadence and 5 minutes riding at a normal cadence to recover. The high-cadence bursts will bust your lungs, so breathe deeply during the recovery phases.

Endurance Ride

Goal

To build your stamina and pedal your body fat lower than your mortgage rate. Well, at least until the Bank of England reconvenes.

What to do

After a 5-minute warm up, ride at the same pace/effort for the whole ride, then cool down in the final 5 minutes. Because of the consistency, you might like to choose a scenic route to keep yourself entertained.

Traffic Dodger ride

Goal

Teach your legs to do short bursts of fast riding like gunning out of the bus lane.

What to do

Fifteens. After a warm-up, alternate between 15-second bursts at full pace and 15 seconds of recovery at a slow pace. Do this for 5 minutes then ride at a normal pace for 5 minutes – keep alternating for the entire ride. Then cool down.

Not too sure where I originally got this, may be men's health UK or some such rag. I've adapted some of the above to my 'normal' route to work, and fit in certain workouts in certain sections - ie the 'fifteens' I have a series of four steepish, short hills on my commute, and every third day I get up and HAMMER these hills. Dunno the real effect thereof, but I have gotten a lot stronger and faster since starting to pay attention to (amongst other things) the 'fifteens' and the 5 minute high 5 minute normal cadence.

Edited by Riaan Coetzee

..........is that a green traffic light is your enemy, don't chase it as it only results in sore legs.

Intervals!

I am also learning that commuting is the ideal Interval scenario...

Seriously seeing a benefit in my riding from my tri weekly 25-30km commute!!

Roads eat MTB tryes for breakfast.

Any suggestions? I don't have a spare set of wheels and I'm not willing to changes my tyres every Saturday when I go MTBing and back again for the weekly commutes. What's a good set of tyres that's hardy on the roads and provide decent riding off the roads? If there is such a thing...

Maxxis Crossmarks. Skriek vir Nieks.

This traffic mess this morning taught me the true value of riding my bike to work.

481024_10151365185429985_515925134_n.jpg

That is crazy.

Maxxis Crossmarks. Skriek vir Nieks.

How long yours last in Km or months?? My last about 3500Km or shorth few days of 4 months.

Edited by militarac

Crossmarks I probably get the best part of a year out of them, but main reasons for changing is blistering due to sealant or too many cuts from glass and bungs everywhere. They are certainly the most durable tyre I've tried out of many.

I run Crossmark on rear and Monorail on front. Monorails normally need to be replaced due to blistering, but also get the best part of a year out of them. Once only got about 3 months tho.

MK's wore out quick, RK's lasted ok but got cut by glass easily. Bontrager Super-X Revolts were good - but clogged up with mud on muddy rides, so don't use them because of that.

But for robust - Crossmark.

Monthly distance is probably 600km ave. Don't ride (train/commute) much in Winter months.

Edited by davetapson